The Cowboys should sit Zeke

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't understand why Elliott is still out there. He proved early in the year that he can still play at a high level when healthy... why the Cowboys are grinding out 3 yard dives with him rather than resting him up and getting him back to that level seems bizarre to me.

Zeke is averaging 3.4 YPC this side of the New England game. Any street free agent back can give you better.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes. 30MM is dead money because it is already guaranteed money we must pay Zeke.

If we keep him next year we guarantee another $12.4MM to Zeke.

Do you want to put another $12.4MM into Zeke?

That 12.4MM is already guaranteed regardless of whether we keep him or not. It became guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2021 season. Hence why the cap charge to cut him after this season is such a penalty to the Cowboys.

The only way to not be responsible for that $12.4MM would be to trade him but you know that's very unlikely.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
How does a knee brace help a bone bruise? Are we being told lies? Was a bone bruise ever the problem or was it something else that a brace would help? Zeke's TD run looked awesome. So the brace helps him to help the team.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dallas is absolutely not cutting him in the off season. It doesn't matter how well he plays or doesn't play. You don't cut a RB with a 30 million dollar dead cap. Jerry would have to be taken for a psyche evaluation if he did that.

I think everyone knew back in 2019, including Zeke, that he'd never see that 2023 salary. But he's already been paid for 2022.

I agree, bloke. The Cowboys aren't cutting Sequel in the offsradon.
But the Boys can darn make him sit way more to showcase Pollard.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I thought he looked better last week. That said, I don’t think he should be the face of our run game anymore. Let him split Carrie’s with Pollard and be the short yardage and pass protection guy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does a knee brace help a bone bruise? Are we being told lies? Was a bone bruise ever the problem or was it something else that a brace would help? Zeke's TD run looked awesome. So the brace helps him to help the team.
Zeke said it wasn't specifically for the bone bruise. Just some extra support when things get rough.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought he looked better last week. That said, I don’t think he should be the face of our run game anymore. Let him split Carrie’s with Pollard and be the short yardage and pass protection guy.
So you want to advertise even MORE when we pass?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
1.) How efficient should a hobbled running back with a struggling oline supposed to look?

2.) I don’t believe you know what the term ‘detriment’ means.
1) Editor's Note: Zeke has not been an efficient RB for 4 years.

2) So you're saying Zeke has been a net additive benefit to the Cowboys this year relative to an average RB? If so I don't believe you know what the word "additive" means.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I don't understand why Elliott is still out there. He proved early in the year that he can still play at a high level when healthy... why the Cowboys are grinding out 3 yard dives with him rather than resting him up and getting him back to that level seems bizarre to me.

Zeke is averaging 3.4 YPC this side of the New England game. Any street free agent back can give you better.

In our first 7 games coinciding with a 7-1 start Zeke rushed over 4.5 yards per carry 3 times. When exactly was he proving to be a consistent high level player?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That 12.4MM is already guaranteed regardless of whether we keep him or not. It became guaranteed on the 5th day of the 2021 season. Hence why the cap charge to cut him after this season is such a penalty to the Cowboys.

The only way to not be responsible for that $12.4MM would be to trade him but you know that's very unlikely.
I got my dates wrong. That's gross.

Does not change the fact we need to sit him now, which was the title of the thread.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So we're definitely cutting him in the offseason right?

I wrote the following 30 months ago.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/how-special-is-ezekiel.437481/

And for 30 months Zeke hasn't been special. In fact he hasn't even been our best RB. In any case no matter your feelings he certainly has not been what we paid him.

Look...I always knew i'd be right. That was obvious. But we have a chance this year to go deep in the playoffs. We can't keep giving zeke all these touches if we want to get where we need to be.

We have to scale back his touches. He's worse than a JAG because he's taking opportunities from better players. Sucks man.

On the bright side...very happy the Giants drafted Barkley. LOL
Nope after next season
Cap hit will much more easy to take
Plus Pollard will be a free agent and we will need the cash to sign him.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
So we're definitely cutting him in the offseason right?

I wrote the following 30 months ago.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/how-special-is-ezekiel.437481/

And for 30 months Zeke hasn't been special. In fact he hasn't even been our best RB. In any case no matter your feelings he certainly has not been what we paid him.

Look...I always knew i'd be right. That was obvious. But we have a chance this year to go deep in the playoffs. We can't keep giving zeke all these touches if we want to get where we need to be.

We have to scale back his touches. He's worse than a JAG because he's taking opportunities from better players. Sucks man.

On the bright side...very happy the Giants drafted Barkley. LOL
I’ll eat crow

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I got my dates wrong. That's gross.

Does not change the fact we need to sit him now, which was the title of the thread.

They're not going to sit him until their playoff positioning is secured. No matter how much people piss and moan it aint hapnin. He's hurt and has been playing hurt. The coaching staff and his teammates appreciate his willingness to sacrifice his body to help the team. The fact that some fans and mediots don't? Meh.. who cares?

CowboyFanInLexKy

Reaction score
Not really, he's only 26 and he lost his burst a good two seasons ago. All RBs don't start their decline at age 23-24. That's what I find odd.

I'm not trying to defend Zeke when I say this..... I totally agree he has lost some of his burst. I don't think he's as bad as people think. I have noticed his go-to is always running up the gut middle where Pollard heads for the sidelines and runs up the sides most times. What I believe is the O'line has gotten atrocious and can't create holes for him to run up the middle. If they can fix the blocking and create the holes, he may not be able to run through the middle and run long like he used to but he can still run a good 5, 6, 7 yards average. This is just my personal opinion...

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not trying to defend Zeke when I say this..... I totally agree he has lost some of his burst. I don't think he's as bad as people think. I have noticed his go-to is always running up the gut middle where Pollard heads for the sidelines and runs up the sides most times. What I believe is the O'line has gotten atrocious and can't create holes for him to run up the middle. If they can fix the blocking and create the holes, he may not be able to run through the middle and run long like he used to but he can still run a good 5, 6, 7 yards average. This is just my personal opinion...

I can't argue with you. I do believe our OL is lacking as well. Look at the Eagles and what they have been able to do on the ground lately. It's their offensive line.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
They're not going to sit him until their playoff positioning is secured. No matter how much people piss and moan it aint hapnin. He's hurt and has been playing hurt. The coaching staff and his teammates appreciate his willingness to sacrifice his body to help the team. The fact that some fans and mediots don't? Meh.. who cares?
What part of he is actually not helping the team with his subpar play don't you understand?