The Cowboys showing signs of Improvement

cern

Reaction score
i will be disappointed if dalton starts next week. gilbert has won the right to start again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I tend to agree, but you never know. If Dak and his agent aren't a bit more flexible when contract negotiations resume, even JJ may just throw up his hands and put Dak on the non exclusive tag and try for the no.1 pick...

The problem is the Jones’s never used real leverage with Dak.

They could’ve let him test the market this past offseason when a team would have to heavily compensate us.

If we have the #2 pick Dak will come running to the table to sign and I don’t see Dallas returning the favor.

kskboys

Reaction score
I tend to agree, but you never know. If Dak and his agent aren't a bit more flexible when contract negotiations resume, even JJ may just throw up his hands and put Dak on the non exclusive tag and try for the no.1 pick...
Sad part is that before this last act of extreme greed and selfishishness, I really liked Dak as a person. Although I'd really love for him to change my mind, right now I don't have a lot of respect for him.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are no such thing as a “moral victory” in the NFL. But despite losing the last two weeks, the Cowboys have shown signs of life. We’ve seen both an uptick in effort and performance, and although we didn’t win either game, the improvements are visible.

Look at the ways the Cowboys have improved:
  • Despite losing 4 straight since Dak went down, the effort has actually started to improve rather than decline. The Cowboys were written off yesterday before the game even started, but the players didn’t act like it.
  • It appears Mike Mac and his staff are starting to get through to the players. The team looked like they were on the same page in all three phases of the game.
  • Young players are emerging- How about Neville Gallimore yesterday? What a game he had. Cedee Lamb continues to shine (despite one bad TO), Tony Pollard showed flashes in the run game against one of the best defenses in the league, Diggs continues to improve, LVE had an excellent game.
  • The defense has stopped bleeding and is actually performing- The defense looked competitive the last two weeks. LVE has returned to his 2018 form, and some of the youngsters like Diggs and Gallimore are having impact. DLaw and Randy Gregory are starting to look impactful. The defense still has a long way to go. But it’s clearly improving.
  • Special Teams have greatly improved- what a difference from the last few years.That fun punt return was such a refreshing, fun play. The kick coverage teams are clearly better. Zuerline’s accuracy is refreshing. All good signs.
One area we MUST improve- Turnovers. We lost the TO battle 2-0 again yesterday. That was probably the difference in the game in the end.

But at least this team is fighting and improving.

Just wanted to make the point that the team's slide didn't begin with Dak's injury. It was 1-3 with Dak healthy.

Other than that, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is the hallmark of the Jones era. Thats what we do. So, in that regard, nothing has changed with or without Dak.

blueblood70

Reaction score
True, but quarterback is such a huge part of the team, any failure there and the team suffers immensely. Miss on a defensive end or receiver or such and you're not hurt so bad. Much bigger risk...
its not going to be Lawerence start thinking Fields but the trade down does work if you grab a boat load if picks and grab Trask still in top 10 then the other first you should have this draft and get the defender, looking at defenders ie blue chip day one starters are not top 10 unless you convince me otherwise.

so trading down to not reach for a Defender and getting them later in the first and then take the next one with the high 2nd rounder..

its can work out where we get both.. not sure who else at QB is top 10 worthy but Trask stock is rising and that kid from ND where wentz came from i believe, are they worth taking around 10-12?

would that scenario work AND have our cake as well get dak to sign a FT deal and not hold out? play 2021 while developing our first round qb?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think smart football people would get in his ear and get him on the Lawrence bandwagon real quick.

They have said all along that Dak needs a contract that allows them to build the team around him he needs.

I think with Lawrence we are a Super Bowl contender in 2022 and back in the playoffs next year.
It would be a life changing decision for many people.

Keep in mind also that if they are in the second slot they will still get some nice offers for that spot...

I very much understand your point and dont disagree, I just don't think Jerry will in the end.

He will continue to think that we are a player or two away...and try to add around Prescott.

Your comment about a window for one wild card win down the road makes full sense and I hear you.

Obviously this will take much more shape in the coming weeks. Lot of games to lose for this not to be moot.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I like your idea The one problem i have with "I would trade the pick for a boatload and plug as many holes as possible" theory is these boatload of draft picks will need to get their seasoning for a year or so, where as Dak and this current Cowboy's team is ready to contend now. Will a boatload of rookies and Dak coming back from a serious injury improve the team's playoffs and SB aspirations enough?

Unfortunately, i don't see us as ready to contend now. I think we have to accept that we have to "rebuild" the Defensive side of the ball while trying to "retool" the offensive line. Its a lot to bite off and truly be a contender. Not impossible but unlikely. If you could truly pick up some experienced FA's that came in & played well (unlike this years crop) to mix in with young players you might pull it off.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It would be a life changing decision for many people.

Keep in mind also that if they are in the second slot they will still get some nice offers for that spot...

I very much understand your point and dont disagree, I just don't think Jerry will in the end.

He will continue to think that we are a player or two away...and try to add around Prescott.

Your comment about a window for one wild card win down the road makes full sense and I hear you.

Obviously this will take much more shape in the coming weeks. Lot of games to lose for this not to be moot.

Yep I’m worried.. People think they may have emptied the bucket yesterday and I hope that’s the case but they were fighting hard to win that game and for what?

You can’t go back to Dennucci now either but I would and I’d make him play Lefty as well.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep I’m worried.. People think they may have emptied the bucket yesterday and I hope that’s the case but they were fighting hard to win that game and for what?

You can’t go back to Dennucci now either but I would and I’d make him play Lefty as well.
The lefty part is LOL level.

I think yesterday was a lot more about Pittsburgh not showing up than Dallas being good.

It was nice to see improvement from guys like Gallimore because we need that badly.

Many people are all in on the QB as a backup, but once teams get some film on him it wont be quite so easy....although he does have some ability.

As far as getting into the 1st pick slot, I'm much more concerned about the Jets not being able to win two games than what Dallas may do.

cern

Reaction score
The problem is the Jones’s never used real leverage with Dak.

They could’ve let him test the market this past offseason when a team would have to heavily compensate us.

If we have the #2 pick Dak will come running to the table to sign and I don’t see Dallas returning the favor.
or we'll sign dak and use that pick for a serious defensive need.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sad part is that before this last act of extreme greed and selfishishness, I really liked Dak as a person. Although I'd really love for him to change my mind, right now I don't have a lot of respect for him.

Negotiating is complex, I've done a lot of it myself as an insurance adjuster. Where do you "draw the line"? Dak may very well have believed, or had his agent convince him, that what he wanted was fair, and after all it apparently was only about a one year difference in contract length.

The whole 4 vs 5 year contract dispute was just silly, nobody can know what the future holds, Jerry should have just gone with the 4 year deal...

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Reminds me of the Packers playoff game. Rodgers could barely walk, let alone run, and yet the Cowboys seldom, if ever, put a blitz on him. Went to a 3 man rush on the play to the tight end that essentially won the game. Too much "prevent" defense...

I thought in the GB game we blitzed and still could not lay a finger on Mr. State Farm.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I thought in the GB game we blitzed and still could not lay a finger on Mr. State Farm.

Not that I recall, but it's been a long time, maybe they did. But in that case I'd be very surprised that they wouldn't have gotten several sacks, considering how hobbled Rodgers was.
My recollection is that they didn't blitz much, if at all...

kskboys

Reaction score
Negotiating is complex, I've done a lot of it myself as an insurance adjuster. Where do you "draw the line"? Dak may very well have believed, or had his agent convince him, that what he wanted was fair, and after all it apparently was only about a one year difference in contract length.

The whole 4 vs 5 year contract dispute was just silly, nobody can know what the future holds, Jerry should have just gone with the 4 year deal...
Then he needs a different agent.

No, Jerry should not have gone w/ the 4 year deal. Need more years to get other salaries under the cap.

LA, Dak's agent wouldn't even return Stephen's calls. Dude just ignored them. Dak hired him, so that is on Dak. And this agent, BTW, had a large number of clients who had to play on the franchise tag because this agent couldn't agree w/ anyone.

The agent is a rep of Dak. If he's not doing what Dak wanted, it's up to Dak to step in. He didn't. The contract offered was more than fair. If Dak wanted a bit more guaranteed, then make a counter. They didn't. One of the weirdest negotiations I've ever seen, that turned out to not even be a negotiation.

Respect is earned. As is desrespect. Dak has earned my disrespect at present. Not something I wanted at all, as I had a great liking for him. Seemed to be a great kid. And then this. A complete refusal to negotiate. Doesn't make any sense.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not that I recall, but it's been a long time, maybe they did. But in that case I'd be very surprised that they wouldn't have gotten several sacks, considering how hobbled Rodgers was.
Same here. From what I recall, we kept doing that dammmmmed 3 man rush.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

You could be right. I just thought with 1 leg, we would have been coming at him like the 85 bears. We never laid a finger on him. That is why even if the Dez catch stands, all they would have needed was a fg to win with less than 2 minutes to go. Would have had to turn the TV because my heart would not have been able to stand it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
or we'll sign dak and use that pick for a serious defensive need.

Get us closer to being back to a wild card winner only to eventually get out schemed but a superior coaching staff while our offense doesn’t have the capability of keeping up.

We need too many things to go right with our version of Alex Smith and we have Pat Mahomes sitting right in front of us and you want a defender lol.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
“Easier than ever to find”? History is also filled with first round QBs who were busts. It’s difficult. We do have some good young QBs emerging in the NFL but it’s way too early to declare this year’s crop as a success yet.

And for every Mahomes or Josh Allen, there are loads of busts the last 20 years. “Can’t miss” QBs like Matt Leinhart, David Carr, RGIII, Joey Harrington, DeMarcus Russell, Blake Bortles, Vince Young, Marcus Mariota, Mitch Trubisky, Jameis Winston, Josh Rosen, Sam Bradford, and I’ll even throw in Carson Wentz.

All the above guys were drafted in the top 10...most top 3. So despite your saying it’s “easier than ever” to find top talent at QB, the evidence is clear, it is still a crapshoot.

:clap::clap::clap:think his confusion is ANY QB can win a few games here and there but only truly good ones have long-term sustainability.