The Cowboys showing signs of Improvement

cern

Reaction score
Negotiating is complex, I've done a lot of it myself as an insurance adjuster. Where do you "draw the line"? Dak may very well have believed, or had his agent convince him, that what he wanted was fair, and after all it apparently was only about a one year difference in contract length.

The whole 4 vs 5 year contract dispute was just silly, nobody can know what the future holds, Jerry should have just gone with the 4 year deal...
my insurance adjuster is a tough negotiator. but as soon as i send him a letter requesting arbitration resolution, he folds like a warm towel. last storm he offered me 65k. after the threat of arbitration, he sent a check for just over 105k. after repairs, i changed insurance knowing they'd increase their price. it's legal for both sides to be tough. :)

cern

Reaction score
Get us closer to being back to a wild card winner only to eventually get out schemed but a superior coaching staff while our offense doesn’t have the capability of keeping up.

We need too many things to go right with our version of Alex Smith and we have Pat Mahomes sitting right in front of us and you want a defender lol.
smith isn't in the same universe as dak. dak's a proven commodity. we'll sign him and use our picks elsewhere. let's remind eachother after the draft. i'm not one to rub it in. i'll only bring it up once with a smiley emoji.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
my insurance adjuster is a tough negotiator. but as soon as i send him a letter requesting arbitration resolution, he folds like a warm towel. last storm he offered me 65k. after the threat of arbitration, he sent a check for just over 105k. after repairs, i changed insurance knowing they'd increase their price. it's legal for both sides to be tough. :)

Yes you can be tough, but imho this was not a time for Jerry to be tough, give the 4 year deal and know what you have for the next 4 years....

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then he needs a different agent.

No, Jerry should not have gone w/ the 4 year deal. Need more years to get other salaries under the cap.

LA, Dak's agent wouldn't even return Stephen's calls. Dude just ignored them. Dak hired him, so that is on Dak. And this agent, BTW, had a large number of clients who had to play on the franchise tag because this agent couldn't agree w/ anyone.

The agent is a rep of Dak. If he's not doing what Dak wanted, it's up to Dak to step in. He didn't. The contract offered was more than fair. If Dak wanted a bit more guaranteed, then make a counter. They didn't. One of the weirdest negotiations I've ever seen, that turned out to not even be a negotiation.

Respect is earned. As is desrespect. Dak has earned my disrespect at present. Not something I wanted at all, as I had a great liking for him. Seemed to be a great kid. And then this. A complete refusal to negotiate. Doesn't make any sense.
Kev, here’s where I disagree, or at least where I’m not sure. The vast majority of press regarding what was supposedly going on in the Dak negotiations were coming from “sources inside the Star”. And as Randy Galloway, David Moore, Jean Jaques Taylor and Bob Sturm have repeatedly all said, most of those “sources” are usually Jerry and Stephen.

I’m not here to say that Dak and his agent weren’t greedy. All of them are. That’s what they get paid to do. But I am hesitant to just buy the talking points so easily posted in the local press about the Dak negotiations. I think there’s probably some blame for both sides, but the all too frequent “sources” inside the Star leave me a little reluctant to just buy that.

If the Cowboys decide to move on from Dak because they have a legit shot at Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields, that may be a good move for this organization. But there are no guarantees. And if that is the move, I would expect a slower return to contender status. The Jones boys have shown us they are clueless how to do a legit remodel of a roster. Should be interesting though!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You got that agent Rodgers and Mahomes have?

cern

Reaction score

No, Jerry should not have gone w/ the 4 year deal. Need more years to get other salaries under the cap.

LA, Dak's agent wouldn't even return Stephen's calls. Dude just ignored them. Dak hired him, so that is on Dak. And this agent, BTW, had a large number of clients who had to play on the franchise tag because this agent couldn't agree w/ anyone.

The agent is a rep of Dak. If he's not doing what Dak wanted, it's up to Dak to step in. He didn't. The contract offered was more than fair. If Dak wanted a bit more guaranteed, then make a counter. They didn't. One of the weirdest negotiations I've ever seen, that turned out to not even be a negotiation.

Respect is earned. As is desrespect. Dak has earned my disrespect at present. Not something I wanted at all, as I had a great liking for him. Seemed to be a great kid. And then this. A complete refusal to negotiate. Doesn't make any sense.
seems a bit harsh, k. i'm sure the agent tells dak that above all else they must show solidarity as a negotiating team. dak's a great guy, a team leader and all that stuff. but he's not capable of negotiating 100 million deals on his own and allowed himself to be sucked into the maelstrom of the game. hopefully, he's learned a lesson and has a much better understanding of the pie.

cern

Reaction score
You got that agent Rodgers and Mahomes have?
i do my own negotiating. but i have excellent attorneys. first thing they taught me was litigation isn't about fairness. it's about being able to tort the other party into the poor house. principle has its price.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And btw...”Signs of improvement” was a pretty low bar for this team. They really couldn’t have gotten much worse. This team still has a looooooooong way to go from being relevant.

GMO415

Reaction score
I'm not into moral victories. This team is garbage and there's no sugar coating it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It does make sense when you consider who is on the other side of the negotiating table.

When haven't the Joneses cratered? Prescott's agent is looking at their history with Lawrence, Elliott, Smith and Cooper, what shouldn't he hold out for a top 5 QB deal? There were few agents, owners or players that didn't think the Joneses would crater at the 11th hour.

Agents get reps and that gets them clients. France has the rep as tough, just like Condon used to have.

But I do not think this is as much France as it is Prescott. Prescott has an amazing belief in himself, instilled by his Mom I believe, and seeing this team with and without him hasn't hurt his stock one bit. If he's pronounced 100%, he will get more than what France was wanting. I also think Prescott thought Booger would give in at the end.

cern

Reaction score
Yes you can be tough, but imho this was not a time for Jerry to be tough, give the 4 year deal and know what you have for the next 4 years....
and in so doing, you lose the ability to better manage the cap and you're right back at the bargaining table a year sooner than you'd prefer to be. when i negotiate, i know my bottom line before i start, and i know just how much i'll be willing to compromise. if i run a bluff, i do so with the intention to follow thru if i can't get what i think i should. i don't blame dak, i don't blame stephen. but i more side with stephen than dak. the lesson of the pie is simple.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And btw...”Signs of improvement” was a pretty low bar for this team. They really couldn’t have gotten much worse. This team still has a looooooooong way to go from being relevant.
You give someone bologna for months and then even just a burger, they're going to think that's prime rib.

One thing I do thing is unusual, we sure are heaping a lot of praise on people paid, and paid a lot, to do what they're supposed to do.

Yaaaaaaay, my team didn't quit.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not into moral victories. This team is garbage and there's no sugar coating it.
My first line in the OP: “There are no such things as a “moral victory” in the NFL”...Just pointing out some positives from yesterday. But yeah, I think most of us know this team is not very good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes, but you keep missing the point that Jerry tried to negotiate and Dak refused.

kskboys

Reaction score
seems a bit harsh, k. i'm sure the agent tells dak that above all else they must show solidarity as a negotiating team. dak's a great guy, a team leader and all that stuff. but he's not capable of negotiating 100 million deals on his own and allowed himself to be sucked into the maelstrom of the game. hopefully, he's learned a lesson and has a much better understanding of the pie.
So, it was OK for Dak's agent to not return phone calls or negotiate?

kskboys

Reaction score
It does make sense when you consider who is on the other side of the negotiating table.

When haven't the Joneses cratered? Prescott's agent is looking at their history with Lawrence, Elliott, Smith and Cooper, what shouldn't he hold out for a top 5 QB deal? There were few agents, owners or players that didn't think the Joneses would crater at the 11th hour.

Agents get reps and that gets them clients. France has the rep as tough, just like Condon used to have.

But I do not think this is as much France as it is Prescott. Prescott has an amazing belief in himself, instilled by his Mom I believe, and seeing this team with and without him hasn't hurt his stock one bit. If he's pronounced 100%, he will get more than what France was wanting. I also think Prescott thought Booger would give in at the end.
If your last paragraph is true, then you'd have to ignore the fact that a high number of France's players were forced to play on the tag. Honestly, all signs point toward France not being willing to negotiate.

I don't agree that it makes sense. When Jones n co. cratered, it was for a deal that was in the middle. France wouldn't even talk to them.

And a top 5 QB deal was offered.

kskboys

Reaction score
There was no negotiating from Dak's side.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dude, there's multiple sources everywhere. Both sides had discussions for quite some time with the goal of reaching an agreement.
Do you have a source stating that Prescott's side did not?