The Daklemma

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Can we stop with the "Big Mike" references. Thar sounds almost as dumb as the poster that calls Jerry booger.
Dak is staying. End of story. If they don't win big with Dak Mike McCarthy won't be here long. Stephen Jones hired McCarthy SJ hates not getting a good ROI.
FYI - Aikman struggled when the surrounding talent declined.
No QB on a Garrett team is going to be great without great talent around him.

"Big Mike" doesn't strike me as derogatory, But if you want to talk about derogatory, how about "Fat Mikey" and "Dakturd"?
That's derogatory, as well as unnecessary.

BBGTYCOON

Reaction score
Not spooky. He was trying to survive. For Garrett, in many ways just being “football royalty” and in a position to be thought of as “an NFL coaching expert” was almost as important as winning. He would never change his pass playbook because the idea that his offensive pass strategies were holding the team back and flawed was deathly insulting to him. He didn’t care when plays were predictable or ineffective because he could always excuse the plays as not executed well enough or in lesser moments “the opposing defenses are NFL players playing at the highest level”. The point is Garrett wanted to be in press conferences and NFL films giving quotes about Emmitt Smith as the Dallas HC and knew so very little about actual football strategy that whoever told him to start 4th down attempts was trying to help him save his job. He’s like the coaching equivalent of Terrance Williams: nice guy, seems the part and made productive because of Romo but really has no business being in the NFL in the role Dallas allowed. Both were liabilities to Dallas winning and were kept because of Family rather than winning.

Garrett was a cockroach. And around game 3 the Giants and the New York media will just about have enough of “execute”.
:clap:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Watching the talking heads show this morning. At first I didn’t think Dak could get us two first round picks. The show said that the Frank Clark gave Seattle a first and second round pick. Houston traded two first rounders for Tensil. I believe Dak as a top 12 quarterback is worth at least two first rounders plus more. We just have to find the right team. Dak will be our quarterback but I would love to know his real worth. That should determine his salary.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see that his shoulder was bothering him much when he overthrew 4(?) long bombs in that games. He also threw behind the receivers several times, which had nothing to do with arm strength, but had everything to do with timing and accuracy.

He started the season very strong, and not just because of the weaker teams. You could tell that his footwork, mechanics, decision making, and accuracy had improved considerably. I hope Big Mike and Co. can help him get that back on a more consistent basis.
Very good points! Every player has a break down point where if you dont have really solid natural mechanics they begin break down as pressure mounts. Against inferior competition Dak can shine and look really good but that pressure will expose weaknesses against better competition. That would also explain why Dak falls way behind and then suddenly he has nothing to lose and starts playing well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Very good points! Every player has a break down point where if you dont have really solid natural mechanics they begin break down as pressure mounts. Against inferior competition Dak can shine and look really good but that pressure will expose weaknesses against better competition. That would also explain why Dak falls way behind and then suddenly he has nothing to lose and starts playing well.
I’d really like to have a more in-depth discussion on why we start slowly on offense so often. It should be a major concern since we struggle overcoming deficits.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I’d really like to have a more in-depth discussion on why we start slowly on offense so often. It should be a major concern since we struggle overcoming deficits.
I tend to believe that the pressure defenses can create when they are fresh is greater. We saw the 49ers eventually were unable to generate the same pressure in the 4th quarter as they did early in the game.

fivetwos

Reaction score
All these points say the obvious....and I dont think many dispute it...

Prescott is not perfect. He cannot win games on his own.

But you cant exactly just go get someone who is and can on command.

They probably want to pay him accordingly, and his agent doesnt want to accept that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I tend to believe that the pressure defenses can create when they are fresh is greater. We saw the 49ers eventually were unable to generate the same pressure in the 4th quarter as they did early in the game.
Thats arguable. They were still applying pressure ,Mahomes just out manuvered it. One play on 3rd and 15 basically turned the momentum of the game.

It’s difficult for me to say because of that they weren’t able to apply the same pressure. It just wasn’t as effective.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
What other options? You think Teddy is going to come in $10m cheaper and give you the same level of play? Going to trade for Andy Dalton?

I'm fine with the idea of exploring other options. I'm not fine with the idea that "other options" are better than Dak next year, because they're not.

This is the exact same problem that the Commanders had, and losing Cousins - a worse QB than Dak - has crippled them. They could have just signed him 4 years ago and been in great shape today.

Dak is a better athlete than Cousins, but not a better QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Id add Dak isn’t a better pure passer. Which is what we’re really missing with Dak who has most of the other intangible assets you’re looking for in a QB.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
All these points say the obvious....and I dont think many dispute it...

Prescott is not perfect. He cannot win games on his own.

But you cant exactly just go get someone who is and can on command.

They probably want to pay him accordingly, and his agent doesnt want to accept that.

This is it exactly IMO. I believe the team understands that if they get it wrong with QB on a record deal type contract, you have pretty much pissed away another generation of championship quality players. Seriously, if we miss on this deal, one of the most talented rosters in the NFL is probably done, in terms of winning a championship. I don't think Jerry wants that because I believe Jerry probably understands that his time is running and he's not going to be around forever. He may not be able to last long enough to build another roster that is good enough to challenge for a championship. I honestly believe that this is part of what is going into this negotiation. In the past, Jerry has given QBs contracts that have basically outdistanced the field by a lot. He did it with Troy and he did it with Tony. But it seems as if he's not doing that here. Obviously, something is different this time around.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Id add Dak isn’t a better pure passer. Which is what we’re really missing with Dak who has most of the other intangible assets you’re looking for in a QB.
I don't disagree. Yes, he has improved in reading defenses and his decision making has become better. He just has trouble consistently putting the ball where it needs to be.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Yes he is. Cousins has a talented arm but is incapable of doing anything if the system around him isn't perfect. Dak has played exclusively in an imperfect system.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't disagree. Yes, he has improved in reading defenses and his decision making has become better. He just has trouble consistently putting the ball where it needs to be.
Yea, that’s a problem .

But yet we are about to make him one of the highest paid qb in the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who else on our roster are we willing to pay Top 5 salary who is closer to average to above average?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak is worth in the mid 2o million range. Then you can sign Cooper and maybe Jones. And pursue some FA help on defense .

If we over paying Dak then he’s going to be expected to carry this team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes he is. Cousins has a talented arm but is incapable of doing anything if the system around him isn't perfect. Dak has played exclusively in an imperfect system.
I’d like to see how Dak could perform with a lesser offense and supporting cast.

Wait...we already have. Wasn’t pretty.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Dak is worth in the mid 2o million range. Then you can sign Cooper and maybe Jones. And pursue some FA help on defense .

If we over paying Dak then he’s going to be expected to carry this team.
He is absolutely not worth that based on other contracts.

They could give him $40m and do anything else they want.

Just b/c you don't want to see him get paid, doesn't mean that his worth isn't $35m+