The Daklemma

garyo1954

Reaction score
Here are the six quarterbacks ahead of Brady and Brees in expected total cash earnings for 2019, according to Spotrac:

1. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers: $45 million
2. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons: $44.75 million
3. Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks: $35 million
4. Nick Foles, Jacksonville Jaguars: $30.75 million
5. Kirk Cousins, Minnesota Vikings: $28 million
6. Kyler Murray, Arizona Cardinals: $24.08 million
T-7. Tom Brady, New England Patriots: $23 million
T-7. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints: $23 million

In fact, Brady's new contract puts him in the top 10 among NFL quarterbacks in cash earnings for the first time since 2014, per Spotrac, which has cash earnings data dating to 2011.

2018: 19th ($15 million)
2017: 12th ($15 million)
2016: 16th ($14.77 million)
2015: 11th ($13.01 million)
2014: T-3rd ($19 million)
2013: 8th ($13 million)
2012: T-8th ($12 million)
2011: 4th ($19.75 million)

First time the guy has cracked $20 million since 2011 (at least).

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/pa...fls-highest-paid-qbs-after-contract-extension

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Why not? He coached some pretty dam good teams and kept GB relevent for over a decade.

Problem is I don't want the team to just do enough to stay relevant, I want them to win the super bowl. I don't think you can get over the top if you are hovering around 8-8 with a bunch of deadweight contracts.

This team isn't that close and the fans will pay for several years because they refuse to admit it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Omegasupreme

Reaction score
Yeah..

I wonder what Jerrah paid Garrett when he let him go.

Must have been some sort of Golden Parachute involved there.

Maybe not. Jerrah seems generous with his favorites.

The way he flew to NY after the release may have been a clue.

Jerrah may have had a hand in that hire somehow. Can't really know.

Just glad he is gone. No more dealing with on the job training with Garrett. He was blowing my mind with him starting to suddenly going for 4th and 2s, etc.

Often inside our own 40. He was getting spooky.

:thumbdown:
Not spooky. He was trying to survive. For Garrett, in many ways just being “football royalty” and in a position to be thought of as “an NFL coaching expert” was almost as important as winning. He would never change his pass playbook because the idea that his offensive pass strategies were holding the team back and flawed was deathly insulting to him. He didn’t care when plays were predictable or ineffective because he could always excuse the plays as not executed well enough or in lesser moments “the opposing defenses are NFL players playing at the highest level”. The point is Garrett wanted to be in press conferences and NFL films giving quotes about Emmitt Smith as the Dallas HC and knew so very little about actual football strategy that whoever told him to start 4th down attempts was trying to help him save his job. He’s like the coaching equivalent of Terrance Williams: nice guy, seems the part and made productive because of Romo but really has no business being in the NFL in the role Dallas allowed. Both were liabilities to Dallas winning and were kept because of Family rather than winning.

Garrett was a cockroach. And around game 3 the Giants and the New York media will just about have enough of “execute”.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is I don't want the team to just do enough to stay relevant, I want them to win the super bowl. I don't think you can get over the top if you are hovering around 8-8 with a bunch of deadweight contracts.

This team isn't that close and the fans will pay for several years because they refuse to admit it.

I agree but MM can rebuild this team as well as anyone. The problem is the Jerry Jones interference b/c he wants to keep all his pet cats.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aug. 4, 2019

Brady signed a two-year, $70 million contract extension with the Patriots.

That's a $35 million/year deal. Is this what one calls a team friendly deal? I guess one can hide the salary hit by committing a good portion of that to a signing bonus, but it still doesn't change the fact it comes out to being over $30+ mil/season, right?

Hard to debate a guy who literally makes up the facts as he goes.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
But Wilson went to 2 Super Bowls.

The question we need to ask is on Daks rookie contract we were able to surround him with quite a supporting cast . Probably the best window for reaching a Super Bowl.

How much more supporting cast does he need on offense with an All Pro OL, 2 time leagues leading rusher and WR1?

Most likely once we pay him the supporting cast goes down. We’ve already seen what he is without all of that All Pro OL, RB and WR.
The two playoff visits both ended badly due to a horrible defense vs GB and Rams. Neither game had anything to do with the offense or Dak’s performance. This past season is the first time I can point at Dak and say he didn’t rise and overcome in the playoff run, but this season was also marred by poor play and injuries across the board on both sides of the ball, along with atrocious starting field position and special teams all year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
LOL...This is funny. $23 million last season? Yeah, if you don't take into consideration his signing bonus.

What's the problem with the Patriots and Brady going forward? We all know Brady wants better weapons at WR, but he also wants to get paid, hence he considering going to another team. Let's not act dumb and pretend Brady is willing to play elsewhere for much less than $30+ million/year. That's just a flat out lie.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
It's not a player's job to manage the team's salary cap. He's got a few chances to get paid, if he's lucky.
Jerry has worked for decades. Stephen will work for decades. A player's career lasts one decade, if he's lucky.

You're right Jake, it's not a players job to manage the team's salary cap, but on the other hand neither is it his job to KILL the salary cap.
The problem is, the system is not set up correctly. For example, huge guaranteed amounts are totally counter productive, it kills incentive.
More money should be incentive based rather than guaranteed.
Another helpful control would be limiting the percentage of the cap that can be paid out for given positions such as QB. I'll bet even the players union would go along with that since humongous QB salaries hurt the rest of the team's players.
Yes good QB's are worth more money, but so are the players who protect him. The QB is not a one man team, no matter how good he is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The two playoff visits both ended badly due to a horrible defense vs GB and Rams. Neither game had anything to do with the offense or Dak’s performance. This past season is the first time I can point at Dak and say he didn’t rise and overcome in the playoff run, but this season was also marred by poor play and injuries across the board on both sides of the ball, along with atrocious starting field position and special teams all year.
That’s simply not all true. Our offense got off to a horribly slow start vs Packers with a 18 point deficit and in Rams game Dak was 1-10 on 3rd down conversions and again got off to a slow start unable to overcome deficits which is growing theme.

While our QB performance isn’t a sole cause it’s definitely a contributing factor. We continue to struggle offensively against the better teams. This year is another great example only scoring 15 points a game in all 8 losses . In 3 of those losses didn’t even score a TD. And didn’t overcome any games after falling behind 7 points or more. Our 8 wins mostly against lesser teams was a different story putting up 35 points a game.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Yes, that's it....Just go get another Mahomes!
I agree Runny, too many fans think there's probably 31 more just like him waiting to be drafted.
That's the problem, everybody wants another Mahomes, but nobody has said where to find one.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The model for us to follow is the 49ers not the Chiefs.

We either need an Elite defense or QB. Is easier to build an Elite defense than find the next Mahomes.

But we are investing the bulk of our Cap on offense without an Elite QB and offense which isn’t enough to carry our defense.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Why is everyone forgetting history... EVEN IF you are a Dak fan.. we drafted this dude in the 4th round (for a reason!!) and we plugged him into a legit team and he won the divisional title.. twice in four years.

Why are we soooo convinced that we couldn't do exactly the same thing with a first round QB?!! High rated QBs are making a splash in the NFL faster than ever before.. they are primed to run pro offences from day 1.

I think the Chiefs are a PERFECT template that we need to look at. They had Alex Smith and despite the howls of laughter.. that dude was a solid QB. He put up good numbers, won games.. would have kept KC in the hunt every season he was behind centre. They go out and get Mahomes and he takes them to the next level.

Dak is the Alex Smith in this example. Dak is 'good enough' but he isn't a Superbowl winning level QB.. he would need absolutely everything to be perfect around him and then some. This is not a guy that turns around a game in 9 minutes in the fourth quarter of the SB. He is NOT that guy.

If you want to pay him middle of the road money.. maybe ok.. but it is a no brainer to go out there and start trying to find our guy.. find our Wilson, our Mahomes, our Jackson etc etc.

Dak is not the guy. Full stop. End of Story.
At this point I'm not even looking for a Mahomes because those guys are rare. But your right, these college QBs coming out in the first round can be pretty good. I guarantee they all have a better arm than Dak. Plus they will be on a rookie contract. People act like Dak is something special when in reality he needs premium talent around him to be relevant.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see that his shoulder was bothering him much when he overthrew 4(?) long bombs in that games. He also threw behind the receivers several times, which had nothing to do with arm strength, but had everything to do with timing and accuracy.

He started the season very strong, and not just because of the weaker teams. You could tell that his footwork, mechanics, decision making, and accuracy had improved considerably. I hope Big Mike and Co. can help him get that back on a more consistent basis.

Dak has trouble with those crossing routes.....seems like the receiver frequently has to reach behind him for the ball.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Not spooky. He was trying to survive. For Garrett, in many ways just being “football royalty” and in a position to be thought of as “an NFL coaching expert” was almost as important as winning. He would never change his pass playbook because the idea that his offensive pass strategies were holding the team back and flawed was deathly insulting to him. He didn’t care when plays were predictable or ineffective because he could always excuse the plays as not executed well enough or in lesser moments “the opposing defenses are NFL players playing at the highest level”. The point is Garrett wanted to be in press conferences and NFL films giving quotes about Emmitt Smith as the Dallas HC and knew so very little about actual football strategy that whoever told him to start 4th down attempts was trying to help him save his job. He’s like the coaching equivalent of Terrance Williams: nice guy, seems the part and made productive because of Romo but really has no business being in the NFL in the role Dallas allowed. Both were liabilities to Dallas winning and were kept because of Family rather than winning.

Garrett was a cockroach. And around game 3 the Giants and the New York media will just about have enough of “execute”.
:laugh:

Sounds like a eulogy.

I agree.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Problem is I don't want the team to just do enough to stay relevant, I want them to win the super bowl. I don't think you can get over the top if you are hovering around 8-8 with a bunch of deadweight contracts. This team isn't that close and the fans will pay for several years because they refuse to admit it.
Why are you referring to the Garrett era?! What you've stated is this team isn't that close due to deadweight contracts. And to think, Jerry hired a lengthy new coaching staff so the Cowboys will remain 8-8. According to you. o_O

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Yes, I know, not another Dak thread but this one isn't about paying him or tagging him, it is all based one person's perspective, Big Mike. He has seen first hand what a high % of the cap to the QB can do and he had Tier 1 QB's.

Whether you are a Dakster or Dakater, I think most will agree, he is not a lifter, he needs talent on the field with him as we've seen when the RB1 was missing and there was no WR1.

So if you are this HC, with his experience with QB and salaries, where is the breaking point with Prescott as his QB1? What will paying a 2nd Tier QB 1st Tier money do to his ability to build around him and the D is building around him.

It's not lost on him what they're paying the OL and RB now and he's probably watched a lot of college QB's this past season doing some scouting and evaluating.

I do not doubt he likes Prescott but how much? Does he like him Rodgers, Ryan and Wilson money?

The market has a lot to do with this but if what they do the deal now that puts him in the top 3 now but barely in the top 10 in 2022 and he's not really a top 10 QB?

It is most certainly a dilemma with a QB that you know you need to put the pieces around him but his salary prevents that except for 1st contract players.

The HC's thinking on this is one perspective. Consider the Joneses. What have they said is their biggest regret during the Romo years? Putting the pieces around him.

The other dilemma is the effect of tagging the QB. New HC in his first year and QB maybe in his final. And the assignment is to be better than 2019, the expectations with this hire are as high as they could be from the FO.

And the ultimate dilemma, what's the message tagging sends to the QB, belief or doubt? This is not his first negotiation, the called the last one off with no deal. And the rest of the offense, how do they read a tagging?

No team in the NFL is facing the textbook "damned if you do and damned if you don't" like the Cowboys are this offseason.

Despite you claiming this was not another thread about paying Prescott, that is exactly what it is. That and you making suppositions on what McCarthy may think which I think is what your thinking is based and what you think happened and may happen.

First off, McCarthy isn't and won't be doing the contract negotiations. He also didn't do that with the packers.

Next, McCarthy has publicly said he's excited and looking forward to working with Prescott. His comments don't in the slightest way say or imply that his excitement and looking forward to is conditional in any way,.

Next, Jones may have said he wished he put more pieces around Romo but not doing that had little to do with Romo's contracts. Romo's last contract was for an ave of 16.5 mil a year and the top QB's were getting 21-23 mil a year. In fact there were 10 QB's that got paid more per year than Romo. More of you supposition that is wrong.

Let me also point out that the last 3 weeks the NFL site have put up their list of the top possible free agents for 2020 and in all 3 Prescott was listed as the #1 free agent.

Many of those that have been in or around the NFL for years believe that much of what has come out from the Prescott camp is things that his agent Todd France has told him to say like tagging him. Most think it's just a negotiating ploy. Both Prescott and France know that tagging Prescott is a business decision and has zero to do with respect or belief in his play and ability. It's just protecting the Cowboys from Prescott being able to leave. Prescott has publicly said many times as early as his rookie season and beyond that and said he always dreamed of playing for the Cowboys growing up and now hopes he plays his entire career in Dallas. It's EXTREMELY rare that a team mate will say anything about a team mates contract negotiations other than they usually say they hope it gets dome quickly. They don't say much else because they know that someday they will be negotiating a contract too.

So much for your this is not about Prescott's contract and your suppositions and your mind reading of McCarthy'

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Why are you referring to the Garrett era?! What you've stated is this team isn't that close due to deadweight contracts. And to think, Jerry hired a lengthy new coaching staff so the Cowboys will remain 8-8. According to you. o_O

And you've seen what to suggest we are not an average team?

Just because you hope it works doesn't mean it will.