The Daklemma

sean10mm

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy would have taken the job if he saw Dak as a total no-hoper who he was guaranteed to be saddled with forever. That just seems to defy basic common sense. It's not like he couldn't wait another year and take a different job in 2021 if he thought Dak was a career killer he couldn't escape from.

My guess is McCarthy wants a year to see what he can do with him, but since he's not personally invested in Dak would be willing to move on from him after that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy would have taken the job if he saw Dak as a total no-hoper who he was guaranteed to be saddled with forever. That just seems to defy basic common sense. It's not like he couldn't wait another year and take a different job in 2021 if he thought Dak was a career killer he couldn't escape from.

My guess is McCarthy wants a year to see what he can do with him, but since he's not personally invested in Dak would be willing to move on from him after that.
Which would explain us leaning towards the Franchise Tag.

It adds drama and uncertainty to the season but better than committing to even more uncertainty if Dak isnt worth Elite money.

If this is Fat Mikeys influence then I’d applaud.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy would have taken the job if he saw Dak as a total no-hoper who he was guaranteed to be saddled with forever.
nope, i think he sees what most see. a player you hope you can do enough around him to hide his flaws and give yourself a chance.

sean10mm

Reaction score
One thing I'd throw out there that nobody will listen to is this:

Just because a contract has a big number in the headline doesn't mean it traps the team for years on end.

A huge amount of how NFL contracts are written is just to game the salary cap and create loopholes for moving money around. Fun example: incredibly, if the Seahawks cut Russell Wilson in 2021 after his recent mega-deal it's only a $7m cap hit. In 2022 they save $11m against the cap, in 2023 they save $26m. Yet Wilson gets $70m fully guaranteed!

It's all a crazy accounting shell game.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No HC has all the answers but he was in my top 2 of the known candidates available. I wanted experience and a track record of getting there.

I do know one thing Red, the position of HC turns over at a 20-25% clip every year and he stayed in Titletown for 13 years. Quick math tells me that 78-112 HC's lost their jobs while he stayed employed in a tough town to coach in.

I am one of the posters here with double happy. Happy a change was finally made and happy one of my two guys got it. I could be disappointed down the road but I take happy when it comes my way.
McCarthy always struck me as a players coach.

The rift with Rodgers was peculiar. But I have thought Rodgers peculiar for awhile.

I just hope the players respond well. This team is so strange.

One week they look unstoppable. Then the next unforgivable.

McCarthy somehow needs to change that lack of attention to being consistant.

It's our biggest flaw. Never got fixed with Garrett. That's why half the seasons under him went 8-8.

But I have always believed in the last 25 years, that the players we had were too content just playing in Dallas and riding Jerrah's gravy train.

Not hungry enough to win anything meaningful.

Got to change that somehow.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing I'd throw out there that nobody will listen to is this:

Just because a contract has a big number in the headline doesn't mean it traps the team for years on end.

A huge amount of how NFL contracts are written is just to game the salary cap and create loopholes for moving money around. Fun example: incredibly, if the Seahawks cut Russell Wilson in 2021 after his recent mega-deal it's only a $7m cap hit. In 2022 they save $11m against the cap, in 2023 they save $26m. Yet Wilson gets $70m fully guaranteed!

It's all a crazy accounting shell game.
Agree, while a hard cap exists, they made it easy to work around it. And some teams will get caught flat-footed but most of the time they were going for it. They are quite used to blowing it up and starting over again.

The only thing that counts is the guarantee because few will see the contract fulfilled. If they keep them long enough, they restructure it. I think the hang up on this deal is either the guarantee or the term.

With the way the QB salaries are escalating, there are going to be some unhappy QB's down the road and new negotiations will take place. Rumor that NE has offered Brady 30M and the question is that enough? They gave him a bump to 23M last season but didn't negotiate a new deal.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarthy always struck me as a players coach.

The rift with Rodgers was peculiar. But I have thought Rodgers peculiar for awhile.

I just hope the players respond well. This team is so strange.

One week they look unstoppable. Then the next unforgivable.

McCarthy somehow needs to change that lack of attention to being consistant.

It's our biggest flaw. Never got fixed with Garrett. That's why half the seasons under him went 8-8.

But I have always believed in the last 25 years, that the players we had were too content just playing in Dallas and riding Jerrah's gravy train.

Not hungry enough to win anything meaningful.

Got to change that somehow.
With any Cowboys team, you have to ask "who's yer Daddy"? The players are hardly held accountable by the Joneses or the media because if the media steps down too hard, they fear reprisal from a vindictive owner. And they will feel his wrath.

Jury is out on just how much leeway this HC will have and if they'll be hanging around the locker room and in meetings. I know that's what Booger thinks is jocks to socks but it is not the norm. We had that FA DB for almost a season and after he left he remarked at how uncomfortable it was for him with meetings being held up because the Joneses were running late but what he said right after that was the kicker "but everyone else seemed fine with that". Meaning they were conditioned to the owner being around for team meetings.

It is just human nature, if you're in a meeting, your eyes will gravitate to the highest ranking management person in the room. If you hire someone to do a job, get the hell out of the way and let them do it. Hold them accountable and let them do the same for people that report to them.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I don't necessarily disagree, I sometimes wonder that, with with a new coach - one noted for his past QB success - could this be a perfect storm to let Dak test the market and possibly sign somewhere else? I know, run on sentence.

Look, I like the prospect of Dak being signed long-term by the Cowboys, but... If this gets too hard or unreasonable, is MM a convenient Jerry Jones scapegoat to let Dak walk?
No. Not gonna happen. Look what Dak did with Garrett, imagine what he can do with MM!!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Tom Brady got exposed for the first time in like forever now that he doesn't have the best Oline, a true #1 WR, a true #1 TE or a true #1 RB, hence why he was done in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I thought he is the G.O.A.T.? I thought he is capable of lifting up lesser players around him? I thought he is the opposite of Dak?

Nope.

All QBs need a good Oline, a good WR and a good RB. That's not including if you're lucky to have a good Defense and a good coaching staff. What happened to the "lifting"?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Tom Brady got exposed for the first time in like forever now that he doesn't have the best Oline, a true #1 WR, a true #1 TE or a true #1 RB, hence why he was done in the divisional round of the playoffs.

I thought he is the G.O.A.T.? I thought he is capable of lifting up lesser players around him? I thought he is the opposite of Dak?

Nope.

All QBs need a good Oline, a good WR and a good RB. That's not including if you're lucky to have a good Defense and a good coaching staff. What happened to the "lifting"?
True, but Brady is mummy-meat now also.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Yes, I know, not another Dak thread but this one isn't about paying him or tagging him, it is all based one person's perspective, Big Mike. He has seen first hand what a high % of the cap to the QB can do and he had Tier 1 QB's.

Whether you are a Dakster or Dakater, I think most will agree, he is not a lifter, he needs talent on the field with him as we've seen when the RB1 was missing and there was no WR1.

So if you are this HC, with his experience with QB and salaries, where is the breaking point with Prescott as his QB1? What will paying a 2nd Tier QB 1st Tier money do to his ability to build around him and the D is building around him.

It's not lost on him what they're paying the OL and RB now and he's probably watched a lot of college QB's this past season doing some scouting and evaluating.

I do not doubt he likes Prescott but how much? Does he like him Rodgers, Ryan and Wilson money?

The market has a lot to do with this but if what they do the deal now that puts him in the top 3 now but barely in the top 10 in 2022 and he's not really a top 10 QB?

It is most certainly a dilemma with a QB that you know you need to put the pieces around him but his salary prevents that except for 1st contract players.

The HC's thinking on this is one perspective. Consider the Joneses. What have they said is their biggest regret during the Romo years? Putting the pieces around him.

The other dilemma is the effect of tagging the QB. New HC in his first year and QB maybe in his final. And the assignment is to be better than 2019, the expectations with this hire are as high as they could be from the FO.

And the ultimate dilemma, what's the message tagging sends to the QB, belief or doubt? This is not his first negotiation, the called the last one off with no deal. And the rest of the offense, how do they read a tagging?

No team in the NFL is facing the textbook "damned if you do and damned if you don't" like the Cowboys are this offseason.
I disagree with your 2nd paragraph.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, I know, not another Dak thread but this one isn't about paying him or tagging him, it is all based one person's perspective, Big Mike. He has seen first hand what a high % of the cap to the QB can do and he had Tier 1 QB's.

Whether you are a Dakster or Dakater, I think most will agree, he is not a lifter, he needs talent on the field with him as we've seen when the RB1 was missing and there was no WR1.

So if you are this HC, with his experience with QB and salaries, where is the breaking point with Prescott as his QB1? What will paying a 2nd Tier QB 1st Tier money do to his ability to build around him and the D is building around him.

It's not lost on him what they're paying the OL and RB now and he's probably watched a lot of college QB's this past season doing some scouting and evaluating.

I do not doubt he likes Prescott but how much? Does he like him Rodgers, Ryan and Wilson money?

The market has a lot to do with this but if what they do the deal now that puts him in the top 3 now but barely in the top 10 in 2022 and he's not really a top 10 QB?

It is most certainly a dilemma with a QB that you know you need to put the pieces around him but his salary prevents that except for 1st contract players.

The HC's thinking on this is one perspective. Consider the Joneses. What have they said is their biggest regret during the Romo years? Putting the pieces around him.

The other dilemma is the effect of tagging the QB. New HC in his first year and QB maybe in his final. And the assignment is to be better than 2019, the expectations with this hire are as high as they could be from the FO.

And the ultimate dilemma, what's the message tagging sends to the QB, belief or doubt? This is not his first negotiation, the called the last one off with no deal. And the rest of the offense, how do they read a tagging?

No team in the NFL is facing the textbook "damned if you do and damned if you don't" like the Cowboys are this offseason.

hello couch coach ( with a slutty kitty picture )--- this whole thing with Dak is driving me crazy....Dak aint worth no 36 mil...he could not bring in one victory we needed against ..Saints, Jets, Bills, Vikings, Eagles...Dak aint all he thinks he is

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Nope.

He elevated it to a 12-4 record which was quite a feat in itself despite his descending abilities at 42. But still won a SB last year with similar roster.

Yes, all QB’s need a supporting cast. It’s what they do with it when they have it that separates them.

How much more supporting cast does Dak need to win a championship?

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score

The problem with Dak is:

Will you bind your franchise future to a talented backup QB ?
Because if you give him a contract, be it 25 mils / year or 35 you are stuck to this guy the next 4-5 years.

THAT is the problem!

The problem is not the amount you pay him. The problem is: You are stuck to him. Do you really want that ?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I disagree with your 2nd paragraph.
Honestly, with that type of format, I can't tell when the paragraphs switch. I'm pretty sure that every sentence/line is not a new theme/idea.
Maybe you're talking about his 2nd (3rd) line?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
True, but Brady is mummy-meat now also.

Corso--but i thought Brady really was impaired by lack of talent this year?...maybe i was wrong...i mean the guy will be 43 so its about time he falls off a cliff?...watch him make a come back and win another super bowl