The Dallas Cowboys have addressed all but one of their major needs this offseason

Sydla

Reaction score
The players we lost were inconsistent and could not be counted on.

Collins suspensions, drug test.

Cooper being taken out of games, no shows on the road. Many of games he legit just quit

Gregory runs hot and cold. Good games against Carolina, New England, Washington. Never played a full season.

We didn’t lose prime Dez, Martin or Ware.

We replaced Cooper with Washington, a guy who was struggling in Pitt.

We have no competent LG.

We replaced Gregory with a lesser player in Fowler.

Yeah, maybe Cooper and Gregory and Collins had issues but they still were much better than what we’ve brought in.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Is OL really the biggest need or are they setup to take the fall again?

Zeke will decline, pollard misused again and the wr room is less talented even when a hurt Gallup finally returns. And I have zero confidence Moore will scheme more opportunities for Dak to go down field to a receiver so he will instead take the safer pass to Schultz short.

Carson

Reaction score

We have no competent LG.

Yeah, maybe Cooper and Gregory and Collins had issues but they still were much better than what we’ve brought in.
Today? Sure.

Post draft? Probably

Next season? We are much better off. You’re saving $70 million from Gregory that you get a solid 3-4 games a year. You get $60 million over three back from Coop and $10 from Collins this year.

Give me a bright future and fresh blood over malcontent players who don’t get it done that cost a crap ton.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
The Jone Kool Aid stand is doing a roaring business.
Be prepared for the very confused and bewildered "what is wrong with this team?" posts once the results on the field matches the talent of the roster.

They buy into the fools gold every single year and are left utterly confused when things don't pan out. This offseason is nothing different.

Sydla

Reaction score
Today? Sure.

Post draft? Probably

Next season? We are much better off. You’re saving $70 million from Gregory that you get a solid 3-4 games a year. You get $60 million over three back from Coop and $10 from Collins this year.

Give me a bright future and fresh blood over malcontent players who don’t get it done that cost a crap ton.

Yeah this is the spin we get every year we lose a couple of guys. They were too expensive. They were malcontents. Team chemistry will be better. The draft will save us. And here we sit, year after year after year pretty much fizzling out every season.

Reality is the Cowboys have not had a good offseason to date. They've done little to improve problem areas that were noticeable in the 2021 season and problem areas they created in the offseason by cutting/trading guys. They've either stayed the same or downgraded at every position. Their assumption that the draft will cure all their ills is just a fantasy they keep telling themselves will work.

Fine, you don't want to pay Gregory? I get that. Then go out and use that money on a guy that is as good, if not better, and isn't a malcontent. We get Dante Fowler. That's a downgrade. You don't like Cooper's contract? Fine. But subtracting Cooper is a big blow to the offense so go out and find a good WR replacement. We get a Steelers cast off in Washington. Dump Collins because he's been an issue? OK. Well now you are banking on Steele being as good, if not better, more consistently. So use Collins eventual cap savings to get a competent, starting caliber OG then. Nope. We haven't even signed a warm body.

Getting rid of guys you think are malcontents and overpaid is smart...................... ONLY if you then replace the talent run off. Thinking the draft will fix the interior OL AND WR AND DT AND LB along with our seemingly annual need for a playmaking DT is just folly but predictable from two guys that clearly struggle to build a competent roster.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They are in better shape than most on here will give them credit for.
Yes on paper they seem to have taken a stamp back. But have they really, when you look at the overall picture and future cap space and possible replacement players that are not here yet.

They need to address the OL still, and not just in the draft.
However that can be addressed after the draft as well. Some decent OL for a stop gap player will get released before TC.

They can get an OL or 2 as well, LB, DT, S, TE in the draft.
better shape compared to what? are we a more talented/better team than last year.

Lost Cooper and Wilson. replaced with Gallup/Washington.... I don't see that as getting better and I like Gallup.

Lost Williams, replaced him with his Backup....who as handed the job and couldn't hold it and had to put williams back...are we better!!!

lost Gregory and replaced him with Fowler. who has produced less over the past couple of years and is on his 4th team in his career, never sticking anywhere more than a couple of years.

resigned Lawrence....that's a wash, his cap savings could have gone to get a saftey, given Armstrong produced as much as he did and is as good in run stopping.

LVE...a wash....how many here wanted him benched?

Lost Neal. starting LB, and perhaps Cox will take his place, as much as we like Cox, he is very unknown.

overall, we didn't improve the roster. we may not be in bad shape. but we are certainly not in better shape compared to last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I mean think about this again. They were willing to spend $70 million on Gregory, a good not elite DE. So you would think when he bolts Jerry and Stephen would say, OK, we know we need talent at DE so let's use the Gregory money and look at some guys like Smith or Jones.

Nope. That $70 million disappears and we end up getting Dante Fowler for a fraction of the cost. For those of you excusing the Cowboys offseason, try to make sense of that for us. They clearly know they needed a RDE and were willing to pay $70 million to get that help. Then suddenly, poof, that money slotted for DE disappears. Why?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
They were also productive players on the field. Gregory was a major part of the pass rush Renaissance in Dallas this year. I'm more concerned about him than Collins. LG is a massive hole and needs a quality player next to a weak C. Collins should've played that role last year and could have this year bit that's all in the past. Need a swing Tackle, LG, RE, LB, and probably a RB thinking ahead going into the draft. Too many holes for my liking and I can think of two that could be filled right now with one signing.
They were average at best and that’s when they were actually available to play. Both are overrated and I’m glad they’re gone. Ball could be one answer at tackle. We just don’t know since he was injured last year. He has potential. We’re going to draft at least one and probably two OL, and we still might sign someone in FA.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL, yeah, so simple, just get an OL or two, LB, DT and S in draft.

You guys love to do this every off-season and excuse what they have done in FA and then the season flops with no real postseason success and you are right back next offseason talking about what a good job they have done and they will fix their issues in the draft.

As opposed to you haters that just hate and whine about everything, even the good things.

And I did not say what a good job they have done, I said it is better than many say it is for they long run.
Stop twisting what is posted.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
better shape compared to what? are we a more talented/better team than last year.

Lost Cooper and Wilson. replaced with Gallup/Washington.... I don't see that as getting better and I like Gallup.

Lost Williams, replaced him with his Backup....who as handed the job and couldn't hold it and had to put williams back...are we better!!!

lost Gregory and replaced him with Fowler. who has produced less over the past couple of years and is on his 4th team in his career, never sticking anywhere more than a couple of years.

resigned Lawrence....that's a wash, his cap savings could have gone to get a saftey, given Armstrong produced as much as he did and is as good in run stopping.

LVE...a wash....how many here wanted him benched?

Lost Neal. starting LB, and perhaps Cox will take his place, as much as we like Cox, he is very unknown.

overall, we didn't improve the roster. we may not be in bad shape. but we are certainly not in better shape compared to last year.

Like I said, better than many will give credit for.
Fans are funny.
Many wanted Gregory gone, but now whine that he is. Fowler is at least equal as to being available and a possible suspension or injury coming up.
Same for Cooper. How often have fans complained he was injured, or disappeared in games, especially road games. His production, or lack of will be replaced.
Williams, at LG, losing him, come on now, everyone wanted him gone as well, and they have not addressed that yet.

Neal was not a difference maker that many think he was, he should have stayed at S.
Over all on paper, no it was not improved. Overall, as I said for the long run, yes, with the cap space it has / will improve.

Once again someone taking a post and twisting it. FA / Draft is not over yet.
But then, again, many fans never will look at anything as good.

Sydla

Reaction score
As opposed to you haters that just hate and whine about everything, even the good things.

And I did not say what a good job they have done, I said it is better than many say it is for they long run.
Stop twisting what is posted.

The "haters" tend to be right WAY MORE than the apologists. They have a quarter century and 3 playoff wins as support for their claims Jerry and Stephen struggle at building a competent roster (and hire a competent coaching staff) that can make a SB run.

LOL at the long run? They just paid their QB a massive contract. It's time to win now. They have/had the cap space to make some decent improvements this offseason. They chose not to, instead doing what has been largely a failed method for them - bargain bin shop.

Look, if you are trying to tell me the franchise is admitting they have issues and is looking to build for something 2-3 years down the road by developing picks and creating as much cap space as possible, great. But that's not what they are doing.

SlammedZero

Reaction score

We have no competent LG.

While I'm not saying Washington is as good as Cooper, I do think it was a good signing. I think he could do well in Dallas. I'm not as worried about WR as I am the Oline/Dline. We need help in the trenches for sure.

Sydla

Reaction score
Many wanted Gregory gone, but now whine that he is. Fowler is at least equal as to being available and a possible suspension or injury coming up.
Same for Cooper. How often have fans complained he was injured, or disappeared in games, especially road games. His production, or lack of will be replaced.
Williams, at LG, losing him, come on now, everyone wanted him gone as well, and they have not addressed that yet.

Neal was not a difference maker that many think he was, he should have stayed at S.
Over all on paper, no it was not improved. Overall, as I said for the long run, yes, with the cap space it has / will improve.

Once again someone taking a post and twisting it. FA / Draft is not over yet.
But then, again, many fans never will look at anything as good.

Fowler isn't as good as Gregory. But he's cheaper so that's exciting I guess. The issue isn't that Gregory isn't here. The issue is that Jerry and Stephen thought DE was enough of a need that they were willing to give Gregory, a good not great DE, $70 million. But when he bolts for Denver, suddenly it appears that DE isn't a need and that $70 million slotted for the position disappears. Why? Why not take that $70 million and go get a Za Darius Smith who is actually a better edge player than Gregory?

Cooper's production will be replaced? By who? I don't necessarily have an issue with Cooper being gone (although the trade return was weak). But don't give us James Washington as his replacement. You had cap space, go out and get a better WR.

The issue isn't "losing" Williams. The issue is they have literally done ZERO to try to improve the position. Oh, the draft. I forgot. That will solve everything. We'll get that WR to replace Cooper's production, that LG that will immediately start and dominate, that DE that will replace Gregory and be even better, a SAM LB to play with LVE and Parsons, etc.

That's the problem. The fact they rely on the draft to fix all their holes is precisely why they continue to have a flawed roster year after year that gets exposed. It's bizarre that they and some fans can't actually see it.

Sydla

Reaction score
While I'm not saying Washington is as good as Cooper, I do think it was a good signing. I think he could do well in Dallas. I'm not as worried about WR as I am the Oline/Dline. We need help in the trenches for sure.

He's a decent signing. But don't try to sell us that he's a competent replacement for Cooper like some fans are claiming. We clearly took a step back at WR in FA and I fear that Jerry is going to be hunting for a WR with one of his premium picks when he should be focusing on DL or OL with those first few picks.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Look, if you are trying to tell me the franchise is admitting they have issues and is looking to build for something 2-3 years down the road by developing picks and creating as much cap space as possible, great. But that's not what they are doing.

You don't know that. They certainly, as of now, not building for this year. So with cap space, and they have said for a long time now, build through the draft.
They need to look at this year and next. This 3 years or so is just more BS to pinch pennies. At some point a team has to go for it, such as the Rams did.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fowler isn't as good as Gregory. But he's cheaper so that's exciting I guess. The issue isn't that Gregory isn't here. The issue is that Jerry and Stephen thought DE was enough of a need that they were willing to give Gregory, a good not great DE, $70 million. But when he bolts for Denver, suddenly it appears that DE isn't a need and that $70 million slotted for the position disappears. Why? Why not take that $70 million and go get a Za Darius Smith who is actually a better edge player than Gregory?

Cooper's production will be replaced? By who? I don't necessarily have an issue with Cooper being gone (although the trade return was weak). But don't give us James Washington as his replacement. You had cap space, go out and get a better WR.

The issue isn't "losing" Williams. The issue is they have literally done ZERO to try to improve the position. Oh, the draft. I forgot. That will solve everything. We'll get that WR to replace Cooper's production, that LG that will immediately start and dominate, that DE that will replace Gregory and be even better, a SAM LB to play with LVE and Parsons, etc.

That's the problem. The fact they rely on the draft to fix all their holes is precisely why they continue to have a flawed roster year after year that gets exposed. It's bizarre that they and some fans can't actually see it.

Can't disagree about the draft. As I just posted in response to one of your other posts. At some point a team needs to go for it, such as the Rams did.
But this FO is more into pinching pennies for now.

Build through the draft but need to bring in FA's as well, and not the 3rd level gap fillers all the time.

Sydla

Reaction score
You don't know that. They certainly, as of now, not building for this year. So with cap space, and they have said for a long time now, build through the draft.
They need to look at this year and next. This 3 years or so is just more BS to pinch pennies. At some point a team has to go for it, such as the Rams did.

We do know that. If you are building for something 3 years down the road, you don't hand out contracts like $70 million to Gregory (which they would have done if not for Denver giving him a better deal).

History doesn't lie here. The Cowboys only spend on their own and nickel and dime in FA. They are doing the exact same thing they have done for 5-6 offseasons now. Unless Jerry and Stephen have a come to Jesus moment, they will never "go for it". Their logic seems to be put out some decent teams for a long time and get lucky than go all in for a few years and possibly have to deal with some consecutive lean years.