The Dallas Cowboys have addressed all but one of their major needs this offseason

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
They are in better shape than most on here will give them credit for.

I was willing to give them credit in January but they crapped out again. Credit isn't earned in March when they've been floundering for 26 years.

Whatever trust they had was lost a long time ago.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The Cowboys would easily do well to tend to a handful of other needs to resolve! The notion that there's only one is pure fantasy! :laugh:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah this is the spin we get every year we lose a couple of guys. They were too expensive. They were malcontents. Team chemistry will be better. The draft will save us. And here we sit, year after year after year pretty much fizzling out every season.

Reality is the Cowboys have not had a good offseason to date. They've done little to improve problem areas that were noticeable in the 2021 season and problem areas they created in the offseason by cutting/trading guys. They've either stayed the same or downgraded at every position. Their assumption that the draft will cure all their ills is just a fantasy they keep telling themselves will work.

Fine, you don't want to pay Gregory? I get that. Then go out and use that money on a guy that is as good, if not better, and isn't a malcontent. We get Dante Fowler. That's a downgrade. You don't like Cooper's contract? Fine. But subtracting Cooper is a big blow to the offense so go out and find a good WR replacement. We get a Steelers cast off in Washington. Dump Collins because he's been an issue? OK. Well now you are banking on Steele being as good, if not better, more consistently. So use Collins eventual cap savings to get a competent, starting caliber OG then. Nope. We haven't even signed a warm body.

Getting rid of guys you think are malcontents and overpaid is smart...................... ONLY if you then replace the talent run off. Thinking the draft will fix the interior OL AND WR AND DT AND LB along with our seemingly annual need for a playmaking DT is just folly but predictable from two guys that clearly struggle to build a competent roster.
I keep saying it....but at least two dudes not named Parsons from last years draft need to step it up and be solid players.

If not they can't at all continue to think the draft is their savior every year.

The last two drafts were considered to be great and they have 2-3 only players combined that anyone wants to count on as of now.

quickccc

Reaction score
Have we addressed the backup OT swing position ?

Tyron Smith is bound to miss some games,.. again. It's the inevitable.

Now that Steele is a starter, whose the immediate backup OT ? Josh Ball ?
Will they wait until the last moment before mini camp to bring back oldie Ty Nseke again ?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Like I said, better than many will give credit for.
Fans are funny.
Many wanted Gregory gone, but now whine that he is. Fowler is at least equal as to being available and a possible suspension or injury coming up.
Same for Cooper. How often have fans complained he was injured, or disappeared in games, especially road games. His production, or lack of will be replaced.
Williams, at LG, losing him, come on now, everyone wanted him gone as well, and they have not addressed that yet.

Neal was not a difference maker that many think he was, he should have stayed at S.
Over all on paper, no it was not improved. Overall, as I said for the long run, yes, with the cap space it has / will improve.

Once again someone taking a post and twisting it. FA / Draft is not over yet.
But then, again, many fans never will look at anything as good.
I was one of the ones that wanted gregory gone, because I just didn't think he was worth the multi year contract, doesn't mean I thought Fowler was equal to him. I don't think Fowler brings the range and pass rushing ability that gregory does.

I didn't want cooper gone. I thought we should restructure his contract and keep Wilson and perhaps come to terms with Gallup being gone.

and I wanted Williams gone too, but perhaps sign a FA to replace him, but knowing McGovern is what we have at this point, we are not bretter off. .

none of this means we got better at this point, but as you said we got draft to go, so lets see what happens.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean think about this again. They were willing to spend $70 million on Gregory, a good not elite DE. So you would think when he bolts Jerry and Stephen would say, OK, we know we need talent at DE so let's use the Gregory money and look at some guys like Smith or Jones.

Nope. That $70 million disappears and we end up getting Dante Fowler for a fraction of the cost. For those of you excusing the Cowboys offseason, try to make sense of that for us. They clearly know they needed a RDE and were willing to pay $70 million to get that help. Then suddenly, poof, that money slotted for DE disappears. Why?

Yeah they view ‘their guys’ through a completely different lense. Meaning they are only willing to pay big money for who they know (has been part of the team). I sort of get it but it’s likely too limiting to ever build a winner … u will only have great players on the team who were drafted by you.

It seems like an intentional strategy on their part, whether it’s smart or not

dckid

Reaction score
Moves_So_Far.png

As it stands offensive line is the biggest position of need for the Cowboys and the best answer for that might in fact come during next month’s draft. This week we launched a series on the Blogging The Boys YouTube Channel (make sure to subscribe which you can do right here) called ‘Mock Draft Monday’ (a name that nobody has ever used before!) where we run through mock drafts to figure out options that would work well for the Cowboys.

When Dallas was on the clock we were fortunate enough to be sitting in a spot where Tyler Linderbaum, Kenyon Green, and Zion Johnson were all there. Obviously this was just one exercise and one of many ways that things could play out a few weeks from now, but seeing a world where Dallas has options should make us all feel better about the glaring need at left guard at the moment.

It is possible that the Cowboys do still look to add a veteran to their offensive front in line with how they tend to approach free agency in general. The initial waves of the acquisition period are over, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t find someone like they did Ty Nsekhe last year (although that was a bit earlier in the process than now).

If history is any indication the Cowboys will add an offensive lineman at some point before the draft. Time will tell.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...l-but-one-of-their-major-needs-this-offseason

haha. I guess this is why people no longer trust main stream media. People can be convinced of anything. This is the kind of thinking that leaves you between 7 and 9 wins. What is the point of barely missing the playoffs or getting spanked in the wild card game?
Why do players and coaches do what they do? It's to eventually win. Winning really matters.
The whole auora and tradition of the Cowboys is based on winning, they didn't become Americas team because they would lose. We would be the Minnesota Vikings or Houston Oilers if winning wasn't a factor.
It's like fans have accepted that we are a mediocre franchise and now Jerry can just extract all the profit. He doesn't care about SB's.
Smart teams utilize, trades, FA , draft, coaching, scouting every tool in the book to try an improve a team.

ESisback

Reaction score
Teams like Philly that are obsessed with us (and have multiple first round picks) will go after or try to keep us from securing whomever we target. If they know what we need (OL), they’ll try SOMETHING, just watch.

Sydla

Reaction score
Teams like Philly that are obsessed with us (and have multiple first round picks) will go after or try to keep us from securing whomever we target. If they know what we need (OL), they’ll try SOMETHING, just watch.

LOL, teams don't do that. They don't take a player just to stop someone else from ending up with him.

Jarntt

Reaction score
They are in better shape than most on here will give them credit for.
Yes on paper they seem to have taken a stamp back. But have they really, when you look at the overall picture and future cap space and possible replacement players that are not here yet.

They need to address the OL still, and not just in the draft.
However that can be addressed after the draft as well. Some decent OL for a stop gap player will get released before TC.

They can get an OL or 2 as well, LB, DT, S, TE in the draft.
I get arguing that we did the right thing in trading Cooper and moving on from Gregory and believe myself that both moves are better for the team long term due to cap issues. But it is entirely different to pretend we haven't taken a step back. Just look at the graphic the OP posted about added players vs players lost. How can one even attempt to state that we haven't taken a step back? If they add some other pieces as you allude to, we can revisit, but where we stand today we most definitely have taken a step back

ESisback

Reaction score
LOL, teams don't do that. They don't take a player just to stop someone else from ending up with him.

Not generally. It’s not smart, but Philly IS obsessed with us, and they have multiple picks in the first. Remember when they grabbed that TE, Dallas what’s-his-name? They knew we needed a TE. I’m just saying, it wouldn’t surprise me ONE BIT if they went after a premier OL

ESisback

Reaction score
I would speculate that they’ll grab a free agent OL and WR between now and TC. They’ll draft both too.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
Moves_So_Far.png

As it stands offensive line is the biggest position of need for the Cowboys and the best answer for that might in fact come during next month’s draft. This week we launched a series on the Blogging The Boys YouTube Channel (make sure to subscribe which you can do right here) called ‘Mock Draft Monday’ (a name that nobody has ever used before!) where we run through mock drafts to figure out options that would work well for the Cowboys.

When Dallas was on the clock we were fortunate enough to be sitting in a spot where Tyler Linderbaum, Kenyon Green, and Zion Johnson were all there. Obviously this was just one exercise and one of many ways that things could play out a few weeks from now, but seeing a world where Dallas has options should make us all feel better about the glaring need at left guard at the moment.

It is possible that the Cowboys do still look to add a veteran to their offensive front in line with how they tend to approach free agency in general. The initial waves of the acquisition period are over, but that doesn’t mean that they won’t find someone like they did Ty Nsekhe last year (although that was a bit earlier in the process than now).

If history is any indication the Cowboys will add an offensive lineman at some point before the draft. Time will tell.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...l-but-one-of-their-major-needs-this-offseason
They've done NOTHING to help the LB situation on the team! If expect to use Parsons at END they need to sign a solid stud to hold down the middle. Also, it's time to bring in someone who can become a real threat to the TEN TOE MEDIOCRE SLOTH formally known as Dak Prescot! He was handed a ton of money for his second half meltdown and that needs to be addressed if the BOYs want to even content in the Eastern Div.................

Jarntt

Reaction score
"The Dallas Cowboys have addressed all but one of their major needs this offseason"

Can someone tick off all of these needs that were addressed this offseason for me?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yep it's not a factor at all.

Vegas dealt to 43 last year figuring we would take Moehrig, meanwhile we had zero intention of taking him.

Too busy committing the ultimate draft sin of fixating on position.

Jerry loves his corners and wide outs. The trenches are for the coaches to figure out. Lol.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
To me the biggest need is RB, but I can see OG to replace Connor Williams too. The only problem with that is I’d like to see them build around Parsons and Diggs. I still don’t understand the Gallup deal, but maybe they’ll go OL and DE early, then try to scoop up some LBs a RB and WR later. They’ll have to get lucky in the mid rounds in my opinion. RB might not be that hard to get, I don’t even know if Zeke is healthy either.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He's a decent signing. But don't try to sell us that he's a competent replacement for Cooper like some fans are claiming. We clearly took a step back at WR in FA and I fear that Jerry is going to be hunting for a WR with one of his premium picks when he should be focusing on DL or OL with those first few picks.
Time will tell!