The Dallas Cowboys organization do not owe Prescott or his family anything

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I agree with the principle of your post. I think professional athletes are spoiled and privileged beyond measure. If you're good, you'll eventually get what the market is willing to pay for you. It doesn't matter if you were playing cheap for four years on a rookie contract. That's part of the deal and people who want to play and win will pull themselves up by the bootstraps and go out and earn it. That's one of the things I liked a lot about Romo. He came in as an undrafted free agent and earned his way to his position and all of the accolades. He proved it on the field and he's now doing it again in the booth. Stop believing you're owed things and show you've earned them, and if you have, you'll eventually get what you deserve. Could you imagine if a regular John Smith who came in as a clerk at Walmart four years later started thinking he was owned or even began demanding nearly a hundred times his annual salary? It's ridiculous. I know it's a bit of a false equivalence, but the point is to know where you really are within the context of your particular market value compared to others.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry and Dallas needs to keep their mouth shut about contracts this season. After a SB win and SB MVP Dak is going to squeeze Jerry for every single dollars and make him take a deal he didn’t win. :dance::dance::dance::dance:
IF he gets to that, then I don't think anyone will mind.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
The right time to sign him was 2 years ago and then a year ago and then a week ago.
He is your starter regardless of what anyone else wants or thinks but signing him long term now just costs more money which is why it sucks that it is unsettled.

Anyone that is fan of both Romo and Prescott realize Romo was great but had serious back concerns and wasn't practicing half the week for a few years.
Dallas was paying him elite QB money and he wasn't healthy and they know because they have his back history and MRI images.
He's the highest paid in the NFL game-casting biz and everyone should be happy for him. He gave Dallas what he had but like Troy before him injury dictated a move.

The org failed Romo by refusing to hire a real coach after Parcells. The same issue has befallen Dak until now.
Romo lived through Garrett's growing pains.
Dak got the dated version with no ingenuity on offense or defense.

I truly believe 2020 will be different and then the salary cap cost is going to be stupid and the team is left asking nicely for friendly contract structure after being jerks about it for 2+ years.

Dallas has the 6th best SB odds. So if they perform as Vegas says they are a couple rounds deep into the playoffs and the cost for Dak goes up. Outperform that slightly (final 4) and they are in the Conference Finals and price is going up a lot. Get to a SB and it's going to be Pat Mahomes 45M AAV numbers.Win a SB and it's top Mahomes and his numbers.

This was just very bad business for a team that derives itself on being good businessmen above all else.
As Jeff Cavanaugh pointed out, it is just math.

As for the brother thing... of course the brother takes it seriously and go insulted.
They don't know if the guy is here for a year and then gone or if the guy can build his forever home.
It's a very big deal for those close to Dak... especially after losing your mom and older brother and with little family left.
Lets not make it complicated, Cowboys didn't screw anything up and Dak didn't either. Dallas didn't value him enough to give Dak the moon and Dak didn't value the Cowboys enough to accept anything less.

its that simple, anything else we have to say or feel about it is purely opinion.
if you say we screwed by not offering more because you feel he is that great, then that is your opinion. Jerry obviously didn't screw up;. and vice versa

as far as Dak's brother chiming in on social media.... it only hurts the situation. Honestly, does anyone REALLY care what he feels about it? he would just be better off rooting for someone else. doesn't mean anything.

Loso86

Reaction score
Jerry and Dallas needs to keep their mouth shut about contracts this season. After a SB win and SB MVP Dak is going to squeeze Jerry for every single dollars and make him take a deal he didn’t win. :dance::dance::dance::dance:
What happens if they dont, the talk wont change a thing either way. If he wins a SB then great pay him but if he dont then what. Nobody Is going to squeeze Jerry for all his coins lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said they owe him anything but what he's got coming? He played on a rookie 4th round contract but he did parlay that into some nice endorsement money. He was offered an extension last season and passed on that and bet on himself. He's betting on himself again this season.

They owe him only what he's got coming and he owes them his best effort. That is all anyone is owed.
The thread should have ended with this post.

plasticman

Reaction score
There's this narrative that's being spun that this organization is greedy because it did not pay Prescott. What a load of bollocks! History has said that the jones family tends to overpay its players in the long run. That narrative is absolutely confusing me. History dictates the exact opposite here!

The other part of that argument is that Prescott was virtually cheap his first 3 years as a starter. Well, yeah, he was a 4th round pick. I hate to sound like a jerk, but 31 other teams passed on Dak 4 full rounds until he made he was to Dallas. Also Dallas did select him and did take a leap of faith on him just as he played for "cheaps". That's just the nature of where and when he was selected, which Dallas had literally no control over.

The "Tad Prescott" tweet really rubbed me off the wrong way because it's just childish. This team HAS invested in Prescott in the long term, long run

-They did NOT go back to Romo in 2016 when he was fully healthy, which I don't care what anyone says would've made it a better team. They stood by Prescott

-They did put pieces like Amari Cooper in place so he and the team could find success because he wasn't able to enhance the skillset of Terrance Williams, Gallup, Tavon Austin, hence the cooper trade

-They DID offer Prescott a long term deal, which would've made him the second highest QB in the NFL, which is ridiculous in my mind.

-Finally, the jonses have pretty much said they do want Prescott here but as long as it doesn't cripple the organization. That's fair. That is good business.

When 2016 came, I was infatuated by the Prescott story about his family and his struggles. However, i learned quickly here is that while that narrative does sound like a fairy tale story, I know that at the heart, millions of dollars can change a narrative fast. The more this stretches out, the more this reflects negatively on the player and the family. There's absolutely no reason to react that way because this team took a chance on the player and they do want him in the long run. The odds are very low if he would've been selected like somewhere in Miami, Washington that he would've found the same success.

As fans, don't buy into it! I strongly believe if Prescott wants to play here, he will take the deal that is reasonable to both parties. That's business. If this doesn't get done, this is on his foolishness and his agent. Don't let the media or some butthurt tweet by a family member sway you otherwise.

Jones doesn't want Dak to cripple the organization? Oh, the irony.....

Dallas selected Dak and took a "leap of faith"?. For some reason, I've always imagined a more complex process. However, that does answer a lot of questions when it comes to certain decisions.

They stood by Prescott? Downright magnanimous of them. Not a difficult decision to make during an 11 game winning streak.

History has said Jones tends to overpay it's players in the long run? Only the wrong ones. That's the real narrative. Jones may have done a few things right, but evaluating players, their value in terms of contracts, and their contribution to success has been a constant and glaring failure. The current situation is just more of the same. The early 90's team fell apart because of cap issues associated with paying three offensive superstars, the triplets. Good thing Jones learns from his mistakes, right?

Nobody familiar with how a cap works is saying Jones is greedy, they are saying he has amateur level talent as an NFL GM, with zero credentials as an expert, when it comes to making decisions and operating a professional football team.

Dak was drafted in the 4th round because 32 teams incorrectly evaluated him just as they did with many other QB's in NFL history. Joe Montana was a 3rd rounder as was Russell Wilson and we all know about Brady. In every 2016 draft redo, Dak has been a top ten pick. A few had him at #1 overall.

Jones doesn't have to use the next contract as a method to backpay Dak for the previous seasons? Apparently Dak disagrees and it's his opinion that carries weight as evidenced by the fact that there is no next contract yet.

"I hate to sound like a jerk...."

If you hate to sound like a jerk, then why......

"...I don't care what anybody says"

If you want your thread to be interesting and relevant, you want others to offer their opinion by posting. That last quote suggests the opposite strategy.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
There's this narrative that's being spun that this organization is greedy because it did not pay Prescott. What a load of bollocks! History has said that the jones family tends to overpay its players in the long run. That narrative is absolutely confusing me. History dictates the exact opposite here!

The other part of that argument is that Prescott was virtually cheap his first 3 years as a starter. Well, yeah, he was a 4th round pick. I hate to sound like a jerk, but 31 other teams passed on Dak 4 full rounds until he made he was to Dallas. Also Dallas did select him and did take a leap of faith on him just as he played for "cheaps". That's just the nature of where and when he was selected, which Dallas had literally no control over.

The "Tad Prescott" tweet really rubbed me off the wrong way because it's just childish. This team HAS invested in Prescott in the long term, long run

-They did NOT go back to Romo in 2016 when he was fully healthy, which I don't care what anyone says would've made it a better team. They stood by Prescott

-They did put pieces like Amari Cooper in place so he and the team could find success because he wasn't able to enhance the skillset of Terrance Williams, Gallup, Tavon Austin, hence the cooper trade

-They DID offer Prescott a long term deal, which would've made him the second highest qb in the NFL, which is ridiculous in my mind.

-Finally, the jonses have pretty much said they do want Prescott here but as long as it doesn't cripple the organization. That's fair. That is good business.

When 2016 came, I was infatuated by the Prescott story about his family and his struggles. However, i learned quickly here is that while that narrative does sound like a fairy tale story, I know that at the heart, millions of dollars can change a narrative fast. The more this stretches out, the more this reflects negatively on the player and the family. There's absolutely no reason to react that way because this team took a chance on the player and they do want him in the long run. The odds are very low if he would've been selected like somewhere in Miami, Washington that he would've found the same success.

As fans, don't buy into it! I strongly believe if Prescott wants to play here, he will take the deal that is reasonable to both parties. That's business. If this doesn't get done, this is on his foolishness and his agent. Don't let the media or some butthurt tweet by a family member sway you otherwise.

This thread couldn't be any further from the truth. How can you say they owe Dak nothing. He signed his franchise tag and is now due $31.4 million

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
What happens if they dont, the talk wont change a thing either way. If he wins a SB then great pay him but if he dont then what. Nobody Is going to squeeze Jerry for all his coins lol

More than what he wanted to pay.

The Natural

Reaction score
pouting-child-girl-410x329.jpg