The defense has to be better this weekend

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
No injured players coming back at end of season like in previous years. This is what we have.

If we bring in Shaq and he somehow miraculously plays like his 1st/2nd year (which won't happen), only shot we have at improving.

Hope DQ can make some miracles but yes defense does look pretty shaky against good offensive lines.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Defense isn't trustworthy. No one should be surprised if we get rolled a couple times the next few weeks...No way the offense can play perfectly all the time.
its murderers row the next few weeks for us. But u know what, Philly faced it too. Realistically, I think we will lose 2 more games this year. I see 11 or 12 wins. Max.

Rayman70

Reaction score
No injured players coming back at end of season like in previous years. This is what we have.

If we bring in Shaq and he somehow miraculously plays like his 1st/2nd year (which won't happen), only shot we have at improving.

Hope DQ can make some miracles but yes defense does look pretty shaky against good offensive lines.
DQ has been using smoke and mirrors at times. We have deficiencies along the interior, and linebacker. We need Evans to be that Thumper. Thats why we signed him. So far hes been a liability.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The Safeties got exposed vs. Seattle. While Bland had a bad game, you need to look further back. I don't think we have the same match issue vs. Philly.
Hurts doesn't have an elite arm.
I don't think Philly changed much. Stop the run and beat the piss out of Hurts. He cannot beat you with his arm.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The Safeties got exposed vs. Seattle. While Bland had a bad game, you need to look further back. I don't think we have the same match issue vs. Philly.
Hurts doesn't have an elite arm.
I don't think Philly changed much. Stop the run and beat the piss out of Hurts. He cannot beat you with his arm.
OMG..whaat? Hurts best game is his deep ball. He drops dimes on the deep stuff. Where he struggles is the shorter balls. He isnt great at the tight window throws. Thats why they roll him out alot. I agree, our safeties got exposed. The back end worries me in this game. As well as the run game. We are undersized.I expect Philly will run right at us. Bully ball. Then run play action off that. We better be ready.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Defense isn't trustworthy. No one should be surprised if we get rolled a couple times the next few weeks...No way the offense can play perfectly all the time.
I think DQ's defense relies heavily on pass rush/takeaways/turnovers to make up for the yardage they give up. The fatal flaw here is that it often allows easy yardage between the 20s and then relies on redzone stops,,, something that a weak run defense is bad at. It's also a serious flaw if the opposing offense is allowed to hold without being flagged, something NFL referees do regularly, especially for teams they've fast-tracked for the top seeds. This defense needs to tighten up but I'm not sure they can with the personnel they've got... seems like teams have figured out the smoke and mirrors DQ has been employing with his DB heavy defenses and they just hold our pass rushers.

Last edited:

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
But that excuse only works for the Seattle game?

:huh:
I was referring to our D playing bad against Seattle with was 3 games in 13 days. Philly fans using the excuse yesterday.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
OMG..whaat? Hurts best game is his deep ball. He drops dimes on the deep stuff. Where he struggles is the shorter balls. He isnt great at the tight window throws. Thats why they roll him out alot. I agree, our safeties got exposed. The back end worries me in this game. As well as the run game. We are undersized.I expect Philly will run right at us. Bully ball. Then run play action off that. We better be ready.
His air yard rankings isn't even in the top 10. Out of the top 10 in TDs. Seems like a yards after catch deal.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was referring to our D playing bad against Seattle with was 3 games in 13 days. Philly fans using the excuse yesterday.
Ok, but as was stated, the Cowboys still gave up big points to Philadelphia and San Francisco.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Ok, but as was stated, the Cowboys still gave up big points to Philadelphia and San Francisco.
True but even the Eagles and 49ers defenses have given up points and yardage this year.

Creeper

Reaction score
Goedert is a few weeks away. Might be back for their Seattle game.
They said last night during the game Goedert said he will be back this week. It seems ridiculous that he could come back so soon from a broken wrist but that's what they were saying. If he does come back this week, or even next, I will be scratching my head because I remember when Gallimore missed 13 weeks because of a hyperextended elbow with no tears or breaks.

How is Goedert going to block with a broken wrist?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
With their tackles and C, the Eagles are the worst matchup in the NFL for Parsons.

We need Parsons, Osa, and DLaw to have good games.

The Eagles have excellent WR but they do not present the size mismatch that Metcalf presented. Bland needs to play better.

S just need to start making some plays. Now that Bell has taken over Kearse's old role by storm, he seems to be the only S type making plays. Hooker, Wilson, and Kearse need their pictures on milk cartons for all the plays they've made.

It's been like this the whole year. I thought Wilson would be a shot but he has been as disappointing as the rest. That dynamic in the middle of the field is what this defense is missing.

stiletto

Reaction score
I think DQ's defense relies heavily on pass rush/takeaways/turnovers to make up for the yardage they give up. The fatal flaw here is that it often allows easy yardage between the 20s and then relies on redzone stops,,, something that a weak run defense is bad at. It's also a serious flaw if the opposing offense is allowed to hold without being flagged, something NFL referees do regularly, especially for teams they've fast-tracked for the top seeds. This defense needs to tighten up but I'm not sure they can with the personnel they've got... seems like teams have figured out the smoke and mirrors DQ has been employing with his DB heavy defenses and they just hold our pass rushers.
The Seahawks had a pretty damn good blueprint for beating the Defense. Lots of quick passing to negate the passrush. We definitely didn't match up well to their WR's either. They smoked everyone.

kskboys

Reaction score
They were half decent a year ago I don't know why the big drop off
Because all teams have to do is contain the pass rush for a bit longer, and we're easily picked apart. They are the exact same as last year. They are guys who know what to do, they just lack the skillset to do it at a really high level.

kskboys

Reaction score
With their tackles and C, the Eagles are the worst matchup in the NFL for Parsons.

The Eagles have excellent WR but they do not present the size mismatch that Metcalf presented. Bland needs to play better.

S just need to start making some plays. Now that Bell has taken over Kearse's old role by storm, he seems to be the only S type making plays. Hooker, Wilson, and Kearse need their pictures on milk cartons for all the plays they've made.

It's been like this the whole year. I thought Wilson would be a shot but he has been as disappointing as the rest. That dynamic in the middle of the field is what this defense is missing.
Well said. And I actually like Hooker, but he's just OK.

Creeper

Reaction score
We've played three teams with winning records - Philly, San Fran, Seattle.

They've scored 28, 42 and 35. This defense has beaten up bad teams and gotten exposed by good ones. Now I don't know if the expectation should be that we have to shut down Philly's offense, which would be tough as they are very good. But the defense has to show more than they have in the Philly, San Fran, Seattle games. If they play like they did against Seattle, the offense has to be almost perfect.

Bland has to be better than he was Thursday as he was atrocious. Philly might get Goedert back, which then puts the spotlight on our LBs and a guy like Kearse, who has really fallen off this year. I'd move Parsons all over the place. DTs have to play efficiently.
This is what scares me about this game coming up. The defense, especially in pass coverage has been awful. Bland was atrocious last week and they were clearly picking on him. He could have given up 200 yards passing by himself if not for a couple of dropped passes.

But he was not alone. Kearse needs to play better. Donovan Wilson needs to play better. Hooker needs to play better. Fowler has to stop lining up offsides.

The most important thing will be the offensive line blocking. If they protect Dak like they did last week most of the game, the offense will score a lot of points. If Steele is a revolving door again, it will be a long day for Dallas.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
Bland had one bad game. And it's not even that his coverage is that bad. DK is just a physical specimen and would be talked about as one of the top WR's in the league with a good QB.

Micah needs to play more LB. It drives me crazy when the offense is in an obvious run formation and he's in at DE rushing the passer. He just runs up field and has no impact on the play. Play him at LB!
He was bad vs washington too, but he had ints in both games at least

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score

wilson is making some plays by the LoS but in coverage or anywhere else yeah not much