The defense has to be better this weekend

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Because all teams have to do is contain the pass rush for a bit longer, and we're easily picked apart. They are the exact same as last year. They are guys who know what to do, they just lack the skillset to do it at a really high level.
I don't even know what to say to this, you're spot on!

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't even know what to say to this, you're spot on!
The answer is to do whatever it takes to get a DT who cannot be blocked. I know, I know, they are rare, but that player would transform this D. We need a Jeffrey Simmons or a Cameron Heyward type. Chris Jones, Donald, Quinnen Williams, Buckner, Jonathon Allen, Fletcher Cox, Hargrave, a guy like that.

Think about this. SF has been mostly a contender for many years now. Why? Because they focus on the DLine and improving the D. No matter what, they improve the D. Pass D for them was 20th last year, so what did they do? Went out and poached Hargrave from the Eagles.

In this day and age of handcuffed D's, it's more important now than ever to get interior pass rushes. Good thing is, we do have Osa, who is a good start. I really like him. Now go out and get the guy who is good enough to start over him!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rayman70

Reaction score
His air yard rankings isn't even in the top 10. Out of the top 10 in TDs. Seems like a yards after catch deal.
funny thing is, the media say hes MVP material. Somebody is wrong. Guess Sunday night we will see.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The answer is to do whatever it takes to get a DT who cannot be blocked. I know, I know, they are rare, but that player would transform this D. We need a Jeffrey Simmons or a Cameron Heyward type. Chris Jones, Donald, Quinnen Williams, Buckner, Jonathon Allen, Fletcher Cox, Hargrave, a guy like that.

Think about this. SF has been mostly a contender for many years now. Why? Because they focus on the DLine and improving the D. No matter what, they improve the D. Pass D for them was 20th last year, so what did they do? Went out and poached Hargrave from the Eagles.

In this day and age of handcuffed D's, it's more important now than ever to get interior pass rushes. Good thing is, we do have Osa, who is a good start. I really like him. Now go out and get the guy who is good enough to start over him!!!!!!!!!!!!!
those are scarce as finding hens teeth. There are only MAYBE 5-6 in the league. All 32 teams would kill to have a stud DT. 6 OF THH 32 TEAMS HAVE 1. Rams,Niners,Chiefs, Bucs, Philly...and Titans with Simmons. Yes, we need a guy like that but it isnt easy. We have Hankins and Osa. Hankins is better than average but not elite.

kskboys

Reaction score
funny thing is, the media say hes MVP material. Somebody is wrong. Guess Sunday night we will see.
I think they're living off of last season. Hurts had his career year last year. He hasn't been all that great this year.

Thing is, what his style does is control the clock and tends to move the ball consistently. That is what makes games winnable for the Eagles. However, get a lead on them, and the Eagles are not the same. That's the weakness in what he does.

kskboys

Reaction score
those are scarce as finding hens teeth. There are only MAYBE 5-6 in the league. All 32 teams would kill to have a stud DT. 6 OF THH 32 TEAMS HAVE 1. Rams,Niners,Chiefs, Bucs, Philly...and Titans with Simmons. Yes, we need a guy like that but it isnt easy. We have Hankins and Osa. Hankins is better than average but not elite.
No, there's around 10-12. Several are simply on bad teams so no one notices them.

We refuse to even look when they are available. Instead of blowing our wad on WRs, we should be looking at Hargrave, who signed for 13mil/season. Dude had 11 sacks last season from the NT position. Ogunjobi, there's another. 9.5 mil/season.

There are many more out there than you think, we simply don't understand the value of the position.

Rayman70

Reaction score
too many times we ,media, worship at the alter of DQ. Problem is, he is guilty of being fascinated with being multiple and complex. Sometimes this is used to defeat his defenses. He gets too artsy fartsy. Sometimes ya just gotta "keep it simple stupid. " When he lost the SB against New England, that was a factor. BB used his aggressiveness against him. If we wanna win this game, best thing DQ can do is simplify things. This can't just be about Micah, it must be about TEAM. Getting the most out of everyone on defense. To me, a guy like Rashan Evans was made for games like this. He is a big physical MLB. USE HIM. While he was in Tennessee, he was all world. Great pro bowler. Hés still young. I think he needs to be starting next to Clarke and Bell might be better used as the spy.I do think micah must be used at Linebacker more.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
too many times we ,media, worship at the alter of DQ. Problem is, he is guilty of being fascinated with being multiple and complex. Sometimes this is used to defeat his defenses. He gets too artsy fartsy. Sometimes ya just gotta "keep it simple stupid. " When he lost the SB against New England, that was a factor. BB used his aggressiveness against him. If we wanna win this game, best thing DQ can do is simplify things. This can't just be about Micah, it must be about TEAM. Getting the most out of everyone on defense. To me, a guy like Rashan Evans was made for games like this. He is a big physical MLB. USE HIM. While he was in Tennessee, he was all world. Great pro bowler. Hés still young. I think he needs to be starting next to Clarke and Bell might be better used as the spy.I do think micah must be used at Linebacker more.
Agreed. If there is no more talent coming back, and we won't see any leaps from players learning a new system like the offense did, or young guys turning the corner.... just play to our strengths and their weaknesses. What else you going to do? Micah may be the best pass rusher in the league. Play him to their weakest tackle. Get cute with the lesser teams so we're not as predictable, but for Philly just put it all on the line.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
We've played three teams with winning records - Philly, San Fran, Seattle.

They've scored 28, 42 and 35. This defense has beaten up bad teams and gotten exposed by good ones. Now I don't know if the expectation should be that we have to shut down Philly's offense, which would be tough as they are very good. But the defense has to show more than they have in the Philly, San Fran, Seattle games. If they play like they did against Seattle, the offense has to be almost perfect.

Bland has to be better than he was Thursday as he was atrocious. Philly might get Goedert back, which then puts the spotlight on our LBs and a guy like Kearse, who has really fallen off this year. I'd move Parsons all over the place. DTs have to play efficiently.
I've come to the realization that we probably are going to have to play shootout games to win it all.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think they're living off of last season. Hurts had his career year last year. He hasn't been all that great this year.

Thing is, what his style does is control the clock and tends to move the ball consistently. That is what makes games winnable for the Eagles. However, get a lead on them, and the Eagles are not the same. That's the weakness in what he does.
agree. I've said it before and will say it again, he is what he is and he's very good at it. That is, he is a 1 read QB...perfect RPO guy. If he stays in the pocket he isn't the same guy. Where he has killed us is when he escapes. Or the run pass stuff. He just isn't a pocket passer. Make him truly 1 dimensional. Nobody runs a better RPO than Hurts. The entire scheme is based off his ability or the threat of it. He crumbles when he gets behind and is tasked with making more than 1 read. Thats what we saw yesterday. He panics, then runs...or gets sacked. Its critical that we play contain Sunday, at all costs.Micah has been sloppy in that regard. I been very happy with Armstrong. The kid is smart and steady. Sets the edge.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I've come to the realization that we probably are going to have to play shootout games to win it all.
giphy.gif

Rayman70

Reaction score
Agreed. If there is no more talent coming back, and we won't see any leaps from players learning a new system like the offense did, or young guys turning the corner.... just play to our strengths and their weaknesses. What else you going to do? Micah may be the best pass rusher in the league. Play him to their weakest tackle. Get cute with the lesser teams so we're not as predictable, but for Philly just put it all on the line.
well said. Play this game as if its the SB. Cute wont work.

Rayman70

Reaction score
2 things are true with Micah. He talks way too much. Lastly, he is getting held nearly every play and the refs ignore it. These 2 facts cannot be in doubt.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
DQ is vastly overrated. Not a huge loss if he goes elsewhere this offseason. He got the benefit of following the worst DC in history

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Problem with that is, you just invested a 1st rounder on that guy, so ya know our focus won't be on that position that much

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
agree. I've said it before and will say it again, he is what he is and he's very good at it. That is, he is a 1 read QB...perfect RPO guy. If he stays in the pocket he isn't the same guy. Where he has killed us is when he escapes. Or the run pass stuff. He just isn't a pocket passer. Make him truly 1 dimensional. Nobody runs a better RPO than Hurts. The entire scheme is based off his ability or the threat of it. He crumbles when he gets behind and is tasked with making more than 1 read. Thats what we saw yesterday. He panics, then runs...or gets sacked. Its critical that we play contain Sunday, at all costs.Micah has been sloppy in that regard. I been very happy with Armstrong. The kid is smart and steady. Sets the edge.
that 1st read seems to be open often

Rayman70

Reaction score
that 1st read seems to be open often
yep and I never understood it but I guess just the threat of him taking off is enough. Hes a bit banged up, so I think hes more likely to pass than run it.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yep and I never understood it but I guess just the threat of him taking off is enough. Hes a bit banged up, so I think hes more likely to pass than run it.
Trust me I was watching him closely, I don't think Brown is 100 percent either

Rayman70

Reaction score
We need Mazi Smith. The kid needs to show out. We drafted him to be an elite run stuffer with some pass rush ability from the interior. Games like this is why ya draft guys like him early. Time for the young buck to grow up.