The DT Position

tm1119

Reaction score
For good reason all of the talk had been on DT so far, but there are also some really DT prospects in this draft that could also have a big impact on our D. I'll highlight a few guys I like but please go ahead and add others you like as well.

Malik McDowell, Mich St- He's a bit of a tweener and not a 1 tech at all...but he is 1 heck of a pass rusher when he is on. Would have liked to see more consistency from him throughout the year, but he has a rare blend of athleticism and size at 6'5 280. Fights violently with his hands and long arms and uses a really nice swim move. Some boards have him in the teens which is a little high for me, but at 28 he'd definitely be worth it.
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-mcdowell-vs-indiana-2016/

Caleb Brantley, Florida- REALLY like Brantley. He can play either the 1 or 3 for us. Sports a compact muscular frame that generates power and quickness. Consistently wreaks havoc on the pocket. Would like to see him finish plays and bring ball carriers down a little more consistently. Really can be a disruptive pocket crasher tho who is also good vs the run. Would definitely consider him at 28 as well
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/caleb-brantley-vs-vanderbilt-2016/

Jarron Jones, Nortre Dame- Missed all of 2015 with a knee injury and has other nagging injuries while at Notre Dame plus has never put up big production, but man does this kid flash on tape when healthy. Huge at 6'5 315 but plays with a sudden quickness and power. Manhandles opposing o lineman and can at least consistently walk his man back. Overall better athlete than you would expect as well, can bend and run for a big guy. Watch him below vs Miami, he's just downright mean to the o lineman at times. Would definitely consider him in the 3rd if all of his medicals check out, I run to the podium if he's still there in the 4th.
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/jarron-jones-vs-miami-2016/

TheDank

Reaction score
For good reason all of the talk had been on DT so far, but there are also some really DT prospects in this draft that could also have a big impact on our D. I'll highlight a few guys I like but please go ahead and add others you like as well.

Malik McDowell, Mich St- He's a bit of a tweener and not a 1 tech at all...but he is 1 heck of a pass rusher when he is on. Would have liked to see more consistency from him throughout the year, but he has a rare blend of athleticism and size at 6'5 280. Fights violently with his hands and long arms and uses a really nice swim move. Some boards have him in the teens which is a little high for me, but at 28 he'd definitely be worth it.
http://draftbreakdown.com/video/malik-mcdowell-vs-indiana-2016/

Don't want to derail your thread, but when McDowell was playing outside his play was much better. I think he was severely miscast as a DT, he made it work, but it's not where he belongs. He has speed off the edge, uses his hands well, has multiple moves including a solid spin, and converts his speed to power. I think he's the top edge guy behind Allen and Garrett.

tm1119

Reaction score
Don't want to derail your thread, but when McDowell was playing outside his play was much better. I think he was severely miscast as a DT, he made it work, but it's not where he belongs. He has speed off the edge, uses his hands well, has multiple moves including a solid spin, and converts his speed to power. I think he's the top edge guy behind Allen and Garrett.

Nah I'm gonna disagree with that, especially about being 3rd best DE. That's just crazy. He looks pretty good on the edge as well and could get reps on the strong side, but he would definitely be better inside in our scheme. Like I said, he's not a 1 tech to start next to Collins, but he could definitely be very good at shooting gaps as a 3 tech. Not miscast at all, I saw him hold his own at the point of attack no problem.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Depending on how the draft falls I really want Jaleel Johnson at 1 tech. I'm still holding out hope that we try to enhance our strength while slightly upgrading our weakness. Our dline talent is on the inside with Crawford and Collins. They are the 3 techs which I was told is the backbone of Rods d. Then let's get two beast 1 techs to free them up. Enter Bennie Logan and Jaleel Johnson. That would show innovation in Dallas though so I doubt it happens.

Sydla

Reaction score
Jones is a guy that might be worth it if he slips into the 4th round. He's been inconsistent and has had some injury issues but when he's on, he's been downright dominating at times. He's a very good athlete.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I think we are ok at the DT spot, we need a 7tek rush end, a safety, a corner and a LB in that order

Sydla

Reaction score
Why just be OK at DT? If you can improve it, you do it. And if we strive for a BPA style of draft over need, in the mid rounds, a DT might be the best guy on our board.

There isn't a position on defense other than say WLB with Lee that would couldn't stand to improve if the opportunity presents itself.

tm1119

Reaction score
Absolutely.

A difference maker to pair with Collins would be just as impactful as an edge. Pressure does not have to come from the outside. Inside pressure is just as crucial.

Also the probability of drafting an impact DT at 28 is MUCH higher than getting a RDE who can provide 10+ sacks as a rookie. People seem to be delusional about what the DE's available at 28 will be.

Sydla

Reaction score
Also the probability of drafting an impact DT at 28 is MUCH higher than getting a RDE who can provide 10+ sacks as a rookie. People seem to be delusional about what the DE's available at 28 will be.

But there seems to be more depth at DE than DT in this draft.

Reactions: BAT

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Absolutely.

A difference maker to pair with Collins would be just as impactful as an edge. Pressure does not have to come from the outside. Inside pressure is just as crucial.
A great 1 Tech would be just as impactful as a great RDE?

Please share that weed.

Reactions: BAT

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Harris/Taco could be at 28 and Johnson/Adams could be at our second pick.

tm1119

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Harris/Taco could be at 28 and Johnson/Adams could be at our second pick.

Harris would bring a different dimension because we don't have anyone that can rush with his speed...but he'd still be a 260 pound rookie who may or not even be able to play 3 downs from the get go.

And I like Taco down the line, but he has a good amount of stuff to work on. I'd be extremely surprised if he was a significant sack artist year 1.

I wasn't trying to say there isn't De talent in this draft. I'm saying that the best ones won't be avavilabe 28 and the odds of a rookie DE in general being an immediate impact player just aren't great. I can't think of many that were very good their rookie season in recent memory besides Bosa. I think Aldon Smith was very good but who else?

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Harris would bring a different dimension because we don't have anyone that can rush with his speed...but he'd still be a 260 pound rookie who may or not even be able to play 3 downs from the get go.

And I like Taco down the line, but he has a good amount of stuff to work on. I'd be extremely surprised if he was a significant sack artist year 1.

I wasn't trying to say there isn't De talent in this draft. I'm saying that the best ones won't be avavilabe 28 and the odds of a rookie DE in general being an immediate impact player just aren't great. I can't think of many that were very good their rookie season in recent memory besides Bosa. I think Aldon Smith was very good but who else?
Noah Spence had 5.5 and I think Harris is better than him. I'd take 7-8 sacks from year 1.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is like any other position like TE, WR etc.

It is better to have the third or fourth ranked player at a position than the seventh or eighth unless the latter group is just excessively deep.

Everyone is locked on the edge, I get it. But getting a better prospect is always better in the long run. There is a need at every position on the DL, not just RDE.

Sydla

Reaction score
It is like any other position like TE, WR etc.

It is better to have the third or fourth ranked player at a position than the seventh or eighth unless the latter group is just excessively deep.

Everyone is locked on the edge, I get it. But getting a better prospect is always better in the long run. There is a need at every position on the DL, not just RDE.

This logic is bizarre to me.

It doesn't matter if you take the 7th ranked DE over the 3rd ranked DT if that 7th rated DE is still rated higher on your board than the DT.

So I don't quite understand when people say I'd rather have the 3rd ranked WR over the 8th ranked DE. If the third ranked WR is a crappy WR because the WR class is crappy, that seems quite silly to me.

A common theme here in this draft is that this class is long on DEs. Most of the early boards (granted, from media types and not real scouts) has multiple DEs listed before you even get to a DT. So if the Cowboys have 6 DEs rated higher than their highest rated DT, taking the DT would seem to be a foolish move.

Sydla

Reaction score
Just as an example, and I am only using this since it's the latest "big board" posted here, Miller has 8 DEs listed before the first true DT in the draft - Adams.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Every year people want to draft a 1T high.

Every year those people walk away disappointed.

Frankly I stand with the brain trust on this. Not worth investing there early.

Also, if your bar for success is 10 sacks as a rookie... You're almost always going to be disappointed no matter where you pick in the draft.