The effects of relying on unreliable people

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the most important lessons any decent NFL front office understands is this: the most important ability after playing ability is RELIABILITY. The recent problems we are having trying to upgrade our talent at DL are directly related to Jerry’s foolish habit of relying on talented but unreliable players for too long.

In fact one of the cornerstones of building a championship team (or any organization of excellence) is the idea that you only build with reliable people. I believe in giving anyone a second chance. But not 4th, 5th chances. Being too accepting of unreliable people because of their potential is a cancer if you let it stick around.

When the Cowboys drafted Randy Gregory in 2015 with their 2nd round pick, it was well known that he had major problems with bipolar depression, weed and alcohol. I don’t knock Randy Gregory for that. He has major life challenges that are way more important than football. But the Cowboys have had 4 seasons to decide on what he is and it’s way past time to say goodbye. RG has now been suspended four times, the latest being indefinite. This isn’t three strikes, it’s four.

David Irving is another guy with a checkered past that we counted on for three seasons because of his enormous talent. But like Randy Gregory his off the field habits and problems could not keep him from being suspended. After his latest suspension, the FO finally said enough is enough.

But look at the effects of relying on the unreliable:
  • Caused us to Draft Taco Charleton in 2017- a guy we probably wouldn’t have taken had we already said bye to RG, or maybe if we had never drafted RG in the first place.
  • We are currently trying to make a deal (and use needed cap space) to acquire a guy like Robert Quinn because of no RG and/or DI. Cause and effect.
  • If we end up using cap space to solve the lack of DE help, it may have effects with cap space for some other players we need and want to keep.
The bottom line is this: This Owner/GM/FO’s willingness to give talented players with multiple suspensions and consistent off field problems too many chances has a ripple effect on how you draft and address free agency.

It’s ok to give second chances to talented people. But stop there. Or you will be creating new problems rather than solving current ones.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. Misses in the draft have long term consequences. But so do misses on trades and in free agency. I don;t mind using 4th or 5th round picks on guys like Gergory, but using 2nd round picks seems like a waste.
Great point. It’s foolish to take big chances with premium picks. Day 3 in the draft is a better place to take a chance.

Prime21

Reaction score
Irving proved to be an elite interior rusher. Gregory was a top 5 draft talent. I would take those risks again if similar situations came up, especially for premium position players.

Just because you take those guys does not mean you need to depend on them. If you take these riskier players you can still reinforce the position group through draft/trade/FA to protect yourself.

Obviously every situation should be looked at specifically but to look at Irving and Gregory with 20/20 hindsight is not fair. They were both calculated risks and I believe were worth the shot.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
One of the most important lessons any decent NFL front office understands is this: the most important ability after playing ability is RELIABILITY. The recent problems we are having trying to upgrade our talent at DL are directly related to Jerry’s foolish habit of relying on talented but unreliable players for too long.

In fact one of the cornerstones of building a championship team (or any organization of excellence) is the idea that you only build with reliable people. I believe in giving anyone a second chance. But not 4th, 5th chances. Being too accepting of unreliable people because of their potential is a cancer if you let it stick around.

When the Cowboys drafted Randy Gregory in 2015 with their 2nd round pick, it was well known that he had major problems with bipolar depression, weed and alcohol. I don’t knock Randy Gregory for that. He has major life challenges that are way more important than football. But the Cowboys have had 4 seasons to decide on what he is and it’s way past time to say goodbye. RG has now been suspended four times, the latest being indefinite. This isn’t three strikes, it’s four.

David Irving is another guy with a checkered past that we counted on for three seasons because of his enormous talent. But like Randy Gregory his off the field habits and problems could not keep him from being suspended. After his latest suspension, the FO finally said enough is enough.

• Caused us to Draft Taco Charleton in 2017- a guy we probably wouldn’t have taken had we already said bye to RG, or maybe if we had never drafted RG in the first place.
  • We are currently trying to make a deal (and use needed cap space) to acquire a guy like Robert Quinn because of no RG and/or DI. Cause and effect.
  • If we end up using cap space to solve the lack of DE help, it may have effects with cap space for some other players we need and want to keep.
The bottom line is this: This Owner/GM/FO’s willingness to give talented players with multiple suspensions and consistent off field problems too many chances has a ripple effect on how you draft and address free agency.

It’s ok to give second chances to talented people. But stop there. Or you will be creating new problems rather than solving current ones.
Had we parted ways with Gregory would we not have to draft his replacement?

DHCBF66

Reaction score
I agree overall, but if TJ Watt was the pick instead of Taco this topic would have less sting.
I was screaming for Watt when he was sitting there and we were on the clock! Could you imagine....Watt-LVE-Jaylon as our starting LBer core?,,,,WOW!

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Irving was picked up off a practice squad and we never gave him a big contract. Gregory was a gamble with a 2nd round pick - so was Smith but nobody is complaining about that. Taco was just a bad pick. Wasted a 1st rounder on a bad player.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great point. It’s foolish to take big chances with premium picks. Day 3 in the draft is a better place to take a chance.
Yep

But this is why Jerry considers himself such a valuable asset as GM. Because he can take these type of risk that other GM’s couldn’t survive from.

It is what it is. I don’t expect it to stop if there’s another opportunity. Not as long as he hits on some of them like Jaylon and Lee who were injury risk not drug related.

Just last year while Gregory was making a contribution finally , we were applauding Jerry.

It all goes back to why Jerry wants to be GM.

Creeper

Reaction score
Irving was picked up off a practice squad and we never gave him a big contract. Gregory was a gamble with a 2nd round pick - so was Smith but nobody is complaining about that. Taco was just a bad pick. Wasted a 1st rounder on a bad player.

I did. I thought using a high 2nd on Jaylon Smith was a mistake, even if he got healthy. It took 3 years for him to get back close to where he was and I am not sure that was worth it. I like him as a player now, but what about that time he couldn't play and his "rookie" season when he was just awful? Its not like not picking him meant we couldn't take another player.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Don't give up on Taco yet, plenty of DL take time to develop.

The OP is taking two examples when most teams have a dozen. We never "relied" on Irving because we acquired him for free and he was always a rotational player. Romo was a guy we "relied on" and 2015 tanked when he got hurt. We still won a playoff game when Irving was effectively off the roster.

Randy Gregory was obvioiusly a gamble but we got a guy with the talent of a top five pick at the end of the second round and it could work out quite well. If I could buy a lottery ticket for $20 that had a 30% chance of paying me $200 - I would buy one every day.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree. Misses in the draft have long term consequences. But so do misses on trades and in free agency. I don;t mind using 4th or 5th round picks on guys like Gergory, but using 2nd round picks seems like a waste.

It's not just the 'miss'
It is the inability to accept your mistake and cut your losses and move on

This is why a GM is important

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
I am in total agreement here. I am sick of the drafting/signing of players that are "projects" .

visionary

Reaction score

They take up roster spots
They give you the false impression that you have addressed the position

There are multiple implications

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

You made some good points. I admit that I was one that really questioned Jaylon Smith high 2nd rnd pick. Here was a guy that nobody new 100% that he would ever be able to play again let alone play at a high level. There have others who have had the very same thing who walk with a limp years after surgery. I said that it was way to high of a pick to waste on someone like that. It appears that I may have been wrong about his being able to play good. I still say that even if he turns out to be really good that using a high 2nd rnd pick on a player that takes 3 years to get there is having to wait to long for that pick. High 2nd rnd picks are expected to be starters and contributors their rookie season.