The end of an incredible offensive line era is fast approaching

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Well apparently this Josh Ball kid, despite his off the field issues, is quite talented. Some may even call him a steal. I guess we will see. Also, I think there are still question marks out on Biadsz and McGovern? So, it's possible we could still march out a formidable line if these guys can grow as athletes.

Edit: Oh, and stay healthy.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Parsons was my favorite pick in this years draft. But those reaches in the 3rd round were simply a waste. Could have gone to an olinemen. Or they could have traded up and gotten Barmore.

It baffles me that this team still gets shredded by the run and still does not address DT as a need.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ah, memory lane.

It’s an oft-traveled road by all human beings in this life — a prodigiously deep highway with hundreds — better yet thousands of diverse memories. Some are wildly pleasant to reminisce upon, while others incite feelings of curt destitution. All though, represent imaginative pictures and stories that remind us of our once-present toils as we glimpse through a figurative looking glass to the past.

And if you’re a Cowboys fan (at least one that was born before the 1990’s), you likely have dozens of memories of the team’s great exploits tucked away in your brain’s happy place. These thoughts are safely guarded with all of your willpower so as not to allow disturbance — especially ones that can be caused by the team’s putrid performance as of late.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ehvaFreZEsQMERPhA8eC06NoB0IdDVb1WFXGkXG1l3n-Y
I dont think we will be dominant at OL again for a while, but I dont think it is trending to a weakness either. However I'll say that in the ensuing drafts OL needs to very be in the convo for premium picks

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well apparently this Josh Ball kid, despite his off the field issues, is quite talented. Some may even call him a steal. I guess we will see. Also, I think there are still question marks out on Biadsz and McGovern? So, it's possible we could still march out a formidable line if these guys can grow as athletes.

Edit: Oh, and stay healthy.
Biadasz was pretty good, especially in the run game, when he played last year. You just hope with him injuries dont become a recurring theme. If he has another year where we misses games, OC should be an area they think about in the 2022 draft.

Im hoping McGovern beats Williams out at LG in preseason

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
It seems like they just draft “good players” without much blueprint for what they are trying to make.

In addressing a question at the post draft news conference the other day, Will McClay stated that their selection approach is to look at the best players available and see how they fit into what the Cowboys are trying to do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tag me to every post that I compared Parsons to Taco. Ill wait.
I predicted Parsons would not be a top 10 pick and said he will go around 12. Exactly where he went.
You are losing credibility by the post.

You said you would NEVER take Parson. I on the other hand EXACTLY called and nailed the pick. :oldcouple::dance::yourock::clap:

Then to top it off, you just complained about the Oline all while hailing Pitts as your pick. Which would have done NOTHING for our line and nothing for our defense.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Ah, memory lane.

It’s an oft-traveled road by all human beings in this life — a prodigiously deep highway with hundreds — better yet thousands of diverse memories. Some are wildly pleasant to reminisce upon, while others incite feelings of curt destitution. All though, represent imaginative pictures and stories that remind us of our once-present toils as we glimpse through a figurative looking glass to the past.

And if you’re a Cowboys fan (at least one that was born before the 1990’s), you likely have dozens of memories of the team’s great exploits tucked away in your brain’s happy place. These thoughts are safely guarded with all of your willpower so as not to allow disturbance — especially ones that can be caused by the team’s putrid performance as of late.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...ehvaFreZEsQMERPhA8eC06NoB0IdDVb1WFXGkXG1l3n-Y
Yikes. What is with this poetic reflection? You talking online classes in. Creative Writing? Wow.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
When Dak and Zeke were rookies the O line was at peak strength. We were beating teams down. Teams were terrible the week after they played us. We were young and hungry and physical. Then Jerry had to go out and collect some shiny new toys and give his favorite players the keys to the kitchen. Now the team is fat and overpaid and there is no real reason to hope for much at all.

Lutonio

Reaction score
It’s already over now. It ended the year Fred Beard sat out with his diagnosis, and it has only gotten worse as Tyron Smith gets older. While Zach Martin is arguably the best out of all of them, the center and left tackle positions held it together.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yes sir. That's exactly why despite our defensive woes I was on board with taking Slater at 10. Hell, when Sewell started to drop my excitement level shot through the roof. Ultimately I knew it was too good to be true.

I'm pumped we got Parsons, but Slater was tough to pass on. I hope we can inject another stud or develop one soon. I'd love for awesome Olines to stay synonymous with the Dallas Cowboys. It has been for quite awhile now.

Gee. Top defender vs. 7th or 8th best offensive player. It isn't really a choice

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I would get more excited if this FO knew what kind of team they want to build. It seems like they just draft “good players” without much blueprint for what they are trying to make.

You can’t make chicken salad out of chicken crap. Priority one is getting good players. Many people can draw up a good scheme from good players. No one can devise a good scheme without good players. Quinn was successful in Seattle because he had good players, and unsuccessful in Atlanta with mediocre players. Same scheme and philosophy.

Same thing with RBs. Almost any RB can hit a hole. Only a hundred or so OL can make the hole.

You are free to go back to your usual front office rant. Did Jerry Jones go ‘Hollywood Knights’ in your Wheaties again this morning?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I dont think we will be dominant at OL again for a while, but I dont think it is trending to a weakness either. However I'll say that in the ensuing drafts OL needs to very be in the convo for premium picks
\
Agree in principle, and I would have taken Slater, but there's no such thing as a "dominant" OL in the NFL. The athletes on the defensive line are too good for that.

75boyz

Reaction score
This article summarizes my opinion since day one. I am one for adding to the strength of what you do well. BUT... these oline choices must be well vetted high round worthy picks and not project reaches requiring seasoning and lots of coaching up.

The Cowboys have achieved this goal quite well.

They also acquired free agents and signed UDFAs who shined.

It is the ONE unit that this team has managed to draft/acquire, coach and develop from good to dominant levels over a long period of time.

As for the current state of the OL, I think Philbin is a decent coach.

But now, many here rrightfully question how much did all that high invested draft capital accomplish for the team in playoff wins and losses.

It's simple really. It's THE only thing that's managed to achieve Jerry's comfort level of relevance(ie, a perennial 7 to 9 win team)

In other words,
Let this OL continue its gradual decline or have another injury plagued season like last year and then convince me they are not THE central unit determining wins on this club.

For those that want to support defense, there is justification in your opinion. But THIS is NOT the team that is gonna have balance on both sides as recent articles referred to.

The only way will be to grind/maul or outscore opponents. The former was achieved with younger/dominant OL legs but No trophy. Now the latter should be tried I guess. IF health holds up. It's their only hope.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yes sir. That's exactly why despite our defensive woes I was on board with taking Slater at 10. Hell, when Sewell started to drop my excitement level shot through the roof. Ultimately I knew it was too good to be true.

I'm pumped we got Parsons, but Slater was tough to pass on. I hope we can inject another stud or develop one soon. I'd love for awesome Olines to stay synonymous with the Dallas Cowboys. It has been for quite awhile now.

The most recent "awesome" oline hasn't come close to winning anything, largely because the defense hasn't been up to the task.

The 90s oline wasn't made up of five first round draft picks. At some point you have to be able to find some of them elsewhere, and actually build a defense too.

CWR

Reaction score
Gee. Top defender vs. 7th or 8th best offensive player. It isn't really a choice

Try to follow along. I know this will be challenging, but I believe in you. Sometimes even the 7th ranked offensive player is still rated higher than the #1 rated defender. Let me illustrate an example for you. This is just an exercise to help you attempt to understand the concept. I will rate posters, with fictitious scores, and somewhat realistic groupings.

Non d-bag posters
1. Corso 9.2.
2. Bullflop 9.2
3. Dr Chicken 9.1
4. CWR 8.8
5. Anyonebutyou 8.6

D-bag poster
1. AbeBeta 8.2

So in this example you could select the 5th ranked non d-bag poster and he/she would still be ranked higher than the number 1 d-bag on this entire board. I hope that helps good buddy.

75boyz

Reaction score
The most recent "awesome" oline hasn't come close to winning anything, largely because the defense hasn't been up to the task.

The 90s oline wasn't made up of five first round draft picks. At some point you have to be able to find some of them elsewhere, and actually build a defense too.

Absolutely.
But unfortunately there ain't no authoritarian head coaches that are capable of building these less than highly pedigreed o lineman that are gonna be hired anytime soon around Arlington.

The only hope is to out talent the opponent and at its base, outscore them. This organization has absolutely no concept of building or sustaining a consistent successful defensive identity regardless of personnel acquired, Scheme, Coordinator or positional coaches. They don't know HOW.

How I see it and have seen it for the past twenty some odd years anyway.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2009...upper half but aging
2010...middle and declining fast
2011...bottom 5-6 very bad.
2012...bottom 10 bad
2013...middling but improving fast..Smith at LT, added TFred
2014 ...top 1-2 great....added Martin
2015 ...top 1-2 great (wasted year)...added Collins
2016 ....top 1-2 great/stacked
2017 ...top 1-3 stacked except a few games with no Smith
2018 top 5 rank