The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

jnday

Reaction score
We have posters on here telling us that CB is not an important position in our new defense. Not buying it. Most will say anything to push the Pitts agenda.

Every year you get the "draft offense" guys. Real football over fantasy football.
I have never considered the CB position to be as important as many fans make it out to be. The only exception would be a Deion clone which will never happen. I don’t care who they pick, but anytime you have the opportunity to pick elite talent at any position, you take the elite talent and never look back. Most of the CBs drafted in the top ten never lives up to that draft position.

jnday

Reaction score
You draft BPA. If you have the players mentioned in headline, I'd take them over Surtain. There is no Deion Sanders in this class. I'm more concerned with the lack of quality DTs we have on our roster. We continue to abandon this area and it's no wonder our defense struggles the way it does.
There is no elite DT talent in this draft . I agree with you, but this draft does not have great defensive talent . There are some good prospects, but no great prospects.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?

It was foolish for the FO to pass on vet CBs in free agency. Now we are stuck in spending #10 on either Surtain or Horn. I like Surtain but I rather fill that spot with a vet. That way we can fix other spots on our defense.

If Dallas picks Pitts and they trade up for him I will be pissed.

kskboys

Reaction score
There is no elite DT talent in this draft . I agree with you, but this draft does not have great defensive talent . There are some good prospects, but no great prospects.
This draft is weak on elite talent in general. You have a QB, a TE, a LB and 2 OLT's, and that's about it as far as elite goes.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was foolish for the FO to pass on vet CBs in free agency. Now we are stuck in spending #10 on either Surtain or Horn. I like Surtain but I rather fill that spot with a vet. That way we can fix other spots on our defense.

If Dallas picks Pitts and they trade up for him I will be pissed.
That was due to the contracts of DLaw, Jaylon, EZ, Coop, and Dak. There's only so much to spend due to huge contracts.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I love Surtain and he’s been my pick from day one. But you can draft another corner in rounds 2-3 and find production. You can also sign a free agent for production. Now, they likely won’t be long term / as well rounded as Surtain.

Pitts and Sewell are blue chip players. Hard to pass on them.

I can’t pass over Surtain for Slater

That's the million dollar question right now.....

1. Can you trust Tyron?.....IMO you can draft his backup in James Hudson LT Cincinnati in the late 3rd or 4th round....and you would be fine....if Tyron is going to miss a few games.

2. Or...if you can't trust Tyron to go full time...can you live without him for the year? We have seen that show.....don't want a repeat. And I keep coming back to Slater vs Chase Young...and Slater held his own. Can you really pass that up? Knowing you can get a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round?

:popcorn:

Verdict

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?

I don’t think Surtain would be the highest rated defender on many boards. I don’t think the corners are as highly graded as some people think they are.

Verdict

Reaction score
That's the million dollar question right now.....

1. Can you trust Tyron?.....IMO you can draft his backup in James Hudson LT Cincinnati in the late 3rd or 4th round....and you would be fine....if Tyron is going to miss a few games.

2. Or...if you can't trust Tyron to go full time...can you live without him for the year? We have seen that show.....don't want a repeat. And I keep coming back to Slater vs Chase Young...and Slater held his own. Can you really pass that up? Knowing you can get a CB in the 2nd or 3rd round?

:popcorn:
Probably not, if the OT is the higher rated player. You draft him and find a corner later.

starfan1

Reaction score
Yes, and I said just that.

"I want a 1st round CB. I want a CB we can count on downs 1-3. I don't want a CB in a later round that may be decent on 1st and 2nd down just to give up a 3rd. Yes I'm aware no pick is guaranteed, but I will feel much better taking a better CB in round 1 than later."

Ok my bad i didnt get that out of this statement. I just got that your like Dre you want the first round guy. Even though the same need can be filled in later round with not much fall off.

starfan1

Reaction score
That was due to the contracts of DLaw, Jaylon, EZ, Coop, and Dak. There's only so much to spend due to huge contracts.
Im not 100% certain thats the only reason but most likely a part of it."theres only so much pie". i just think that jerry and Stephens approach to FA has always been bad and even given cap space they werent going to go after the big fish. The are dollar store shoppers in FA.

kskboys

Reaction score
Im not 100% certain thats the only reason but most likely a part of it."theres only so much pie". i just think that jerry and Stephens approach to FA has always been bad and even given cap space they werent going to go after the big fish. The are dollar store shoppers in FA.
They tried the high dollar FA route and failed miserably. The glaring problem is that Jerry does not know football and cannot evaluate players.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, he wasn't. And ESPN went bonkers over the selection.
Why do people keep denying this? Furthering an agenda?

Just looked up their draft reports from 17 and clicked on the first one. Taco was rated mid 1st round, TJ in the 2nd.

I guess it's the BPA spewers, the ones who think there's this magic formula to grade players.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Why would you pass on Pitts? There are plenty of CBs in this draft worthy of high pick from what I hear.
Let's put it this way, if you want Surtain/Horn you better hope Pitts is gone by #10 because I would put up a good size bet Pitts would be Dallas pick for sure at #10 if he was there.

Don't worry tho because I am pretty sure he will be gone

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Why would you pass on Pitts? There are plenty of CBs in this draft worthy of high pick from what I hear.
Let's put it this way, if you want Surtain/Horn you better hope Pitts is gone by #10 because I would put up a good size bet Pitts would be Dallas pick for sure at #10 if he was there.

The only thing good about drafting corners high is avoiding their pay day in Free Agency.

We're going to be a team that primarily runs cover 3 zone with the outside guys. We don't need great players to pull this off. They're going to be backed off most of the time.

Dre11

Reaction score
No, he wasn't. And ESPN went bonkers over the selection.

He was, Walter Football had him possibly going as high as 9 to Cinncinati and they definitely had him going late first. Nobody had TJ Watt going in the first round so before you chime in , do your research
https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/scoutingreport2017tcharlton.php

ESPN had Taco ranked 22 and TJ 44

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/...l-draft-espn-nfl-nation-reporter-jeff-legwold

Here he's ranked 32 Watt 68
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...yers-prospects-mock/2tcp8ji48gg11lqoicxk25kdb

Here Taco was 28 TJ Watt 41

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-final-pff-draft-board-top-250-prospects-of-2017

Dre11

Reaction score

Because we don't need Pitts, this offense is already potent, we're not in position to pick a luxury player.

InTheZone

Reaction score
The only thing good about drafting corners high is avoiding their pay day in Free Agency.

We're going to be a team that primarily runs cover 3 zone with the outside guys. We don't need great players to pull this off. They're going to be backed off most of the time.
I hate this style of coverage. I want our guys to be in their face, not playing like a bunch of Brandon Carrs

plasticman

Reaction score
When a team has a top ten pick in the draft then it typically means that team needs a lot of help. The Cowboys are no different.

There are a lot of uncertainties this year because a lot of these players didn't play a down in 2020. Essentially, NFL teams are drafting seniors and juniors that have only played their junior or sophomore seasons, respectively. These players have far less college experience than all previous drafts.

Drafting a top ten player means putting all your eggs in one basket when it comes to quality players with the potential to play and impact the game. That's a lot of pressure to get the pick right, even under the aforementioned circumstances. Drafting a player never fills a need with certainty, they must transition to the NFL and that usually takes at least one season. Rookies seem to have a higher probability of injury. Good teams typically look to upgrade their overall roster.

The Cowboys must rebuild their defense, both from an executional and talent perspective. with extra picks added to their usual selections, this year in the top third, the Cowboys have a real chance to improve defensive talent. With that said, if the Cowboys have the opportunity to draft a "generational" talent, they should make that pick. It's not going to be Pitts. The first team without a QB need is going to grab him.