The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

DFWJC

Reaction score
I would love to have pitts
May end up the best player in the draft
But I don’t think he adds as many wins as a defensive player can
It doesn’t matter how much you score if you give up more
But over the life of his career, he may add WAY more wins than defensive player available at 10.
Plus, if Dallas took him, who's to say we don't trade one of our top 3 WRs for a defensive player or the draft capital to help get more on D.

In general, however, few rookie defensive players make huge impacts on the win-loss column their very 1st year.
Maybe a Bosa or Young, but certainly nobody in this draft class. Not usually in year 1.

Dre11

Reaction score
1. QB is the one exception, but maybe not the way you're thinking. QBs get overdrafted because they're in such great demand that if you don't overdraft them, you don't get one. If you're not going after a QB, you don't overvalue them on your board and it's unlikely they'll be BPA when your turn to draft comes around, because other teams will have them higher. If somehow a QB happens to be BPA when your pick comes around, you're looking to trade down. If you can't trade down for some reason, then you either take them or pass them up. But this will be extraordinarily rare.

2.. You are never set at OL. I can't believe people who have ever watched this team don't understand that. I believe you should be looking to draft OL every year.

Hey, it's possible for the draft to go badly. If you have a franchise QB, the clear BPA is a QB, and you for some reason can't find anyone to trade with you, well that stinks: the draft went badly for you. You take the next-best guy, but you don't pretend that it's not disappointing. This year, WR would be such a case. If the Cowboys have WR as the clear BPA in the first round and can't trade down, then they're very likely going to take a lesser player. And that's okay, but the reality is that the draft fell in a disappointing way. I can't think of a single position other than QB and WR that should give them pause though.

The big misunderstanding comes from this idea that we know what our needs will be in a year. Things change much faster than we expect. Guys fall apart suddenly. Guys develop suddenly. It's very hard to know what our needs will be even one year out. Given that, take the talent.

You're setnehpugh at OL that you don't use you're 1st round pick on an oline that'll be a backup. Bottom line is both ways work, there's no exact science to it, teams have been successful both ways.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You're setnehpugh at OL that you don't use you're 1st round pick on an oline that'll be a backup. Bottom line is both ways work, there's no exact science to it, teams have been successful both ways.
Frederick disappeared one year and retired a year later. Smith and Collins were gone all year. The line went from solid to disastrous between 2009 and 2010 when they all got old and fell off a cliff at the same time.

The draft isn't about this year, and you have no idea what this year will bring anyway. You never know what position you're going to need even this year, much less one or two years in the future.

Dre11

Reaction score
Frederick disappeared one year and retired a year later. Smith and Collins were gone all year. The line went from solid to disastrous between 2009 and 2010 when they all got old and fell off a cliff at the same time.

The draft isn't about this year, and you have no idea what this year will bring anyway. You never know what position you're going to need even this year, much less one or two years in the future.

Dre11

Reaction score

The draft is about what ever they want it to be about, they've done it both ways and had success both ways. Improving the defense is the top priority, they're drafting the side of the ball that NEED fixing.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The draft is about what ever they want it to be about, they've done it both ways and had success both ways. Improving the defense is the top priority, they're drafting the side of the ball that NEED fixing.
So...the draft is about whatever you want and anything works, but there's only one right way to do it this year. Okay.

conner01

Reaction score
But over the life of his career, he may add WAY more wins than defensive player available at 10.
Plus, if Dallas took him, who's to say we don't trade one of our top 3 WRs for a defensive player or the draft capital to help get more on D.

In general, however, few rookie defensive players make huge impacts on the win-loss column their very 1st year.
Maybe a Bosa or Young, but certainly nobody in this draft class. Not usually in year 1.
I wouldn’t trade Lamb, and with his cost Cooper doesn’t have great trade value. That leaves Gallup and as much as I love what Gallup brings here I don’t think he brings a high pick
I think a 3rd is probably what you could get, though many don’t think he even brings that
With the last few years having really good draft classes and this one being a good draft class at WR it hurts the value of a guy in the last year of his deal
I’d love to find a way to add a second this year while keeping 10
It would have to be a creative trade to make that work though

Dre11

Reaction score
So...the draft is about whatever you want and anything works, but there's only one right way to do it this year. Okay.

Based on what they want to do this year according to their CEO, it is.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

especially when your OL is jacked up.

I really dont want to see Steele or Knight again.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
You've just precisely described BPA, except that you've thrown in a vaguely-defined "need' component. How much of a need does it have to be to trump talent? That's the fundamental question, and you haven't answered it.
The question was asked and answered. If you do not like the answer that is something you have to work out with yourself. The Tony Dorsett example was sufficient for any Best Available Player of Need question. The two years prior Roger Staubach was the second leading yards per carry rusher on the team. Draft the Best Available Player of Need.

jnday

Reaction score
I would love to have pitts
May end up the best player in the draft
But I don’t think he adds as many wins as a defensive player can
It doesn’t matter how much you score if you give up more
Do you realize how many turnovers and tackles it would take for one of these defenders to have the impact that Pitts would have over his career? If their was another Deion , Patrick Willis or Reggie White in this draft, it would be different, but there is no elite defensive talent in this draft compared to most drafts.