The folks that want Pitts, Sewell, Slater

InTheZone

Reaction score
He was, Walter Football had him possibly going as high as 9 to Cinncinati and they definitely had him going late first. Nobody had TJ Watt going in the first round so before you chime in , do your research
https://BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1/scoutingreport2017tcharlton.php

ESPN had Taco ranked 22 and TJ 44

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/...l-draft-espn-nfl-nation-reporter-jeff-legwold

Here he's ranked 32 Watt 68
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...yers-prospects-mock/2tcp8ji48gg11lqoicxk25kdb

Here Taco was 28 TJ Watt 41

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-final-pff-draft-board-top-250-prospects-of-2017
Taco in college highlights looked underwhelming. Same with Claiborne. Both turned out meh

Dre11

Reaction score
Taco in college highlights looked underwhelming. Same with Claiborne. Both turned out meh

That's why most had him as a late 1st. The point I was making is he was ranked higher than TJ Watt. Highlights don't make a player either, some players have amazing highlights and turn out meh. Look at Solomon Thomas in that draft.

Dre11

Reaction score
The only thing good about drafting corners high is avoiding their pay day in Free Agency.

We're going to be a team that primarily runs cover 3 zone with the outside guys. We don't need great players to pull this off. They're going to be backed off most of the time.

Not true if you believe Sherman, he talks about Quinn also running man coverage if he has man corners

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not true if you believe Sherman, he talks about Quinn also running man coverage if he has man corners

Yes but how often.. 15% of the time?

How many NFL corners are validating these high selections as well?

The Cowboys defensive strategy is going to be a scheme that makes opposing offenses work and not screw it up for our offense. Bend and don’t break.

The biggest benefit to drafting a corner early is avoiding how overpriced they are in FA.

They just don’t have a big impact on games because the rules don’t allow it.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Because we don't need Pitts, this offense is already potent, we're not in position to pick a luxury player.
Well I see your point but I don't view him as a luxury player much like I didn't CeeDee Lamb.
Schultz is a average TE, but do you remember what a great TE (Novacek) in the right offense meant to this team?
Pitts is going to be great player, and if we pass on him if there it will be for Giants!

Dre11

Reaction score
Yes but how often.. 15% of the time?

How many NFL corners are validating these high selections as well?

The Cowboys defensive strategy is going to be a scheme that makes opposing offenses work and not screw it up for our offense. Bend and don’t break.

The biggest benefit to drafting a corner early is avoiding how overpriced they are in FA.

They just don’t have a big impact on games because the rules don’t allow it.

A corner drafted at a position of need will have a far greater impact than throwing Brown,Lewis, or any of the Robinsons out there. Put one of them out there and see how quick you wish we had one.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Amazing that Cowboy fans who've observed the draft for years are begging them to draft for need with a high #1 draft choice.

5 years from now, what a teams needs were at this point in time will be irrelevant. OTOH, an elite talent like Pitts or Slater making all-pro after all-pro while the Cowboys let their latest Morris Claiborne walk away will be a microcosm of the last 25+ years.

You draft a CB high, he better be a big time playmaker. Surtain has shown that's not what he is.

Dre11

Reaction score
Well I see your point but I don't view him as a luxury player much like I didn't CeeDee Lamb.
Schultz is a average TE, but do you remember what a great TE (Novacek) in the right offense meant to this team?
Pitts is going to be great player, and if we pass on him if there it will be for Giants!

Ceedee also filled a need at slot(3) how much more production is Pitts given with all the weapons and the way Dak spreads the ball around, than Jarwin and Shultz combined?

Dre11

Reaction score
Amazing that Cowboy fans who've observed the draft for years are begging them to draft for need with a high #1 draft choice.

5 years from now, what a teams needs were at this point in time will be irrelevant. OTOH, an elite talent like Pitts or Slater making all-pro after all-pro while the Cowboys let their latest Morris Claiborne walk away will be a microcosm of the last 25+ years.

You draft a CB high, he better be a big time playmaker. Surtain has shown that's not what he is.

Pretty much every team draft for need, every team drafting a qb is drafting him for need, it's like that for most teams

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Ive been on this board before I could drive a vehicle and it’s amazing how some of the same arguments have never evolved.

Everyone should know how to properly draft by now for the most part.

Dre11

Reaction score
Ive been on this board before I could drive a vehicle and it’s amazing how some of the same arguments have never evolved.

Everyone should know how to properly draft by now for the most part.

There is no one way to draft, every draft pick is a crapshoot and multiple ways of drafting have worked

BigDPlayer

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?
I'm in the camp of Horn or Surtain in round 1. If we get a decent trade I say move down for one over the other. If the trade is a little further we pickup Farley.
IF we luck out and get Pitts, which we should most definitely, then use our draft stock in rounds 2 and 3 to move back up and snag Farley.

I have spoken.

king987

Reaction score
If somehow Sewell or Pitts falls to 10 (which I doubt), I'd definitely take them over Surtain. They're blue chip top prospects and you shouldn't pass on that solely because of need. Surtain is the best CB in the draft in my opinion, but not that much better than Day 2 options for me to pass on Sewell or Pitts.

I'd personally take Surtain over Slater but wouldn't be upset with the pick. It's very close for me between those two, and Slater is def worth the 10 pick.

Of the (most) reasonable options at 10, my top 4 would probably be Surtain, Slater, Horn, Parsons.

BigD_95

Reaction score
Don't care about the CB position? Right now we have one starter on the roster at CB and I'm not fond of a rookie starter there, but we passed on veteran CBs in Free agency so right now the only way to get one seems to be the draft. If we draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts, we lose Surtain and Joe Horn. Not only is Surtain a great pick at 10, He fits a need and arguably the BPA on defense side of the ball. Why would you do anything else on draft day but take him.?

the only way the Cowboys shouldn’t draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts if one of them is there at 10 would be if they trade back to gain more picks.

you don’t pass on blue chip players because of need. That would be foolish. But you can trade back.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
There is no elite DT talent in this draft . I agree with you, but this draft does not have great defensive talent . There are some good prospects, but no great prospects.

That's my take. This class just underwhelms on defense.

Dre11

Reaction score
the only way the Cowboys shouldn’t draft Slater, Sewell or Pitts if one of them is there at 10 would be if they trade back to gain more picks.

you don’t pass on blue chip players because of need. That would be foolish. But you can trade back.

And you'll be crying next year about the defense

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Ceedee also filled a need at slot(3) how much more production is Pitts given with all the weapons and the way Dak spreads the ball around, than Jarwin and Shultz combined?
Well if you could combine both their talent into one - maybe, but neither could produce anywhere close IMO of course.
Honestly, I would draft Pitts if he is there, but if he is there and we don't plan on drafting him, then we should draft him with the intention of trading down for a first and additional picks. This will at least keep him from the Giants and eagles who you know the Giants will want him.

starfan1

Reaction score
Surtain don’t fix the defense. Surtain or another good cb and much more. So we may be cryng next year about the defense even if they pick your preference .

I’d like to see LB and FS as well that’s why I trade down and go BPA in position of need because they all are needs. If that’s OL so be it. The only wasted pick is Pitts but that’s tough to pass up as he may be best player in draft and that includes the over rated qbs. Maybe Sewell is better but that’s not my preference though

Dre11

Reaction score
Surtain don’t fix the defense. Surtain or another good cb and much more. So we may be cryng next year about the defense even if they pick your preference .

I’d like to see LB and FS as well that’s why I trade down and go BPA in position of need because they all are needs. If that’s OL so be it. The only wasted pick is Pitts but that’s tough to pass up as he may be best player in draft and that includes the over rated qbs. Maybe Sewell is better but that’s not my preference though

Of course not, not 1 player fix it, but it's the largest need at a premium position0 on the team. He's not the only defensive player we should draft

BigD_95

Reaction score

All I’m saying is you have to draft BPA. You draft that high you can’t afford to miss.

I didn’t say they shouldn’t take a corner. I agree they need one. But they have to trade down. You can’t leave any of those 3 guys on the board and take one of the corners.