CFZ The Front Office, McClay also Nailed it on the Tight End Group

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.

Last edited:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, thats not even debatable, one mid round pick and one UDFA and they look AT LEAST as good as your starter who’s about to get paid elsewhere as a top free agent at the position.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
oh come on. Just how many second round picks have played out: and that is an IMPORTANT ROUND.
so lose the Jones fanboy worship

I don't think that's fair. Although the second round reaches and misses are troublesome in our minds the later round hits, the development of talent that at first was sub-pro level, and the fact that the Cowboys are known as a team that is Draft built offsets those 2nd rd. disappointments.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
oh come on. Just how many second round picks have played out: and that is an IMPORTANT ROUND.
2nd round picks flop every year for every team lol.

And if we are being honest.....their 2nd round looks bad because of Trysten Hill and maybe if you want to write off Joseph already.

If you go back a few years they got Sam Williams, Trevon Diggs, Connor Williams, Chido, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory and Demarcius Lawrence.

In that span Trysten Hill and Joseph are the ones people had issues with with Hill being recently cut.

And despite how people feel about Jaylon....the guy had a few good years and was a Pro Bowler. Chido and Conner are both starters right now. Trevon is a All Pro. The failure in the 2nd round is really over exaggerated.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't think that's fair. Although the second round reaches and misses are troublesome in our minds the later round hits, the development of talent that at first was sub-pro level, and the fact that the Cowboys are known as a team that is Draft built offsets those 2nd rd. disappointments.
Some of these guys are going over board about the 2nd round. I think their approach with a few picks has clouded peoples judgement....their 2nd round picks aren't nearly as bad when you factor in how good some of these picks have been lately.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Shh. Just play along that they always draft really well all of the time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.

Lets just be happy that Garrett and his finesse type offense is gone. This is the affect that MM has had on the offense. Getting back to running the ball and getting the pieces we need to do it. It wasnt just the Oline that had played bad the last few years, it was the TE's.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
2nd round picks flop every year for every team lol.

And if we are being honest.....their 2nd round looks bad because of Trysten Hill and maybe if you want to write off Joseph already.

If you go back a few years they got Sam Williams, Trevon Diggs, Connor Williams, Chido, Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory and Demarcius Lawrence.

In that span Trysten Hill and Joseph are the ones people had issues with with Hill being recently cut.

And despite how people feel about Jaylon....the guy had a few good years and was a Pro Bowler. Chido and Conner are both starters right now. Trevon is a All Pro. The failure in the 2nd round is really over exaggerated.

Everyone in between Lawrance and Diggs/Williams never lived up to expectations.

Creeper

Reaction score
I do think Ferguson and Hendershot are a good pair of TEs for the future. What I like is they can both block better than Schultz already. TEs have to be able to block. But Ferguson looks like he will be a good short to intermediate target in the passing game and Hendershot, I think, has the ability to get downfield and has good RAC ability. Moore just needs to figure out how to use him better.

We know that Schultz is now expendable in free agency. Let him go somewhere else next year and the Cowboys will get a comp pick for him while the two rookies pick up the slack.