CFZ The Front Office, McClay also Nailed it on the Tight End Group

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They got a couple of guys that at this early point are serviceable.
They've contributed in the run game and had spot moments in the pass game.

We dunno yet any one can be a featured TE should the team decide to walk away from the free agent Schultz next offseason.
But even serviceable contributors is better than what we've had with injury prone softie Blake Jarwin and JAG Jeremy Sprinkles. .

Yep, like x said, Hendershot was sort of a surprise. Not tooting my own horn here, because I wasn't 100 percent certain and I could have easily been wrong, as I was on Tolbert being a so-called plug and play guy, that Hendershot was just as likely to contribute year 1 as Ferguson. I knew it was possible, but not quite probable, that both would end up contributing year one, based on the fact that Hendershot's reel was longer than even Ferguson who had a 25 minute highlight reel compared to Hendershot's 26 and a half or so, with more production in the passing game.

At the end of the day, though, their moves had nothing to do with me other than I ended up "approving" of the deals they put the work in evaluating. So the credit goes to them for their work, not me for my armchair approval. lol I'm just happy Hendershot wasn't cut during camp and that we have both he and Ferguson now.

Obviously, the proverbial jury is still out on these two and even Schultz's future. But I feel like the FO did a great job on this group as far as bringing in guys who they think have a decent probability as developing into players we value as a team. That's my point. Even I probably overreacted after game 1. And I was probably in the bottom 10 percent of those who were critical after game 1 in terms of my level of criticism... And I was obviously dead wrong about Cooper Rush, which I'm very happy to own up to.

So while I'm the first to admit that nobody always gets it right, I do appreciate that the Cowboys get it right more often than not.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The Jones boys nailed it when they hired Mike McCarthy as HC.

I never bought into the recent McCarthy criticism because it's too early to tell. I'm pretty confident that he's managed to salvage his job this year, though, no matter what happens from here on out, because he's proven he can rise above the noise and perform during the tough times with everything on the line.

And his approach to accomplish things in spite of the cards being stacked against him has given many of us more confidence than before.

You're right, though. McCarthy has also done a bang up job so far. He has to continue to do it, obviously. But I have a lot more faith he has the ability to continue to do it whereas before I just didn't know either way. But, yeah, big Mike has been nothing but impressive this year.

I can't think of another coach who could have pulled out as big of a rabbit from his hat as McCarthy has this year.

Surprise!

plasticman

Reaction score
Dalton Schultz is watching his contract leverage with the Cowboys slowly melt away. There is very little possibility that he will be with the team next season.

Taking these two rookie TE's was the best 1-2 punch at TE the Cowboys had since they took Jean Fugett in the 13th round in 1972 and Billy Joe Dupre in the 1st round in 1973.

Hats off to the scouting department.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I never bought into the recent McCarthy criticism because it's too early to tell. I'm pretty confident that he's managed to salvage his job this year, though, no matter what happens from here on out, because he's proven he can rise above the noise and perform during the tough times with everything on the line.

And his approach to accomplish things in spite of the cards being stacked against him has given many of us more confidence than before.

You're right, though. McCarthy has also done a bang up job so far. He has to continue to do it, obviously. But I have a lot more faith he has the ability to continue to do it whereas before I just didn't know either way. But, yeah, big Mike has been nothing but impressive this year.

I can't think of another coach who could have pulled out as big of a rabbit from his hat as McCarthy has this year.

Surprise!
...but then there are those that don't care how good of a job MM does, they just want to make either DQ or Sean Payton the next HC.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
...but then there are those that don't care how good of a job MM does, they just want to make either DQ or Sean Payton the next HC.

I think Payton is one of the better coaches a team could have, even now. Then again, I've always been a big Sean Payton fan even a couple/few years before he came to Dallas.

He did a lot for the Saints, and, like McCarthy, won a Super Bowl on a team with great history, and a loyal fanbase who deserved a trophy.

Lots of people dis on Payton because he doesn't live up to their unreasonable, imaginary standards of a coach who likely doesn't exist.

McCarthy, on the other hand . . . as a football fan in Texas who doesn't follow the cheese heads much, I just didn't know enough about McCarthy other than a few general things about his record, who, and where he coached, but aside from that I didn't have enough information about him to form an opinion.

Like everyone else, my opinion about him was pretty much reserved after we got booted from the playoffs last year.

I can't remember the last time any Cowboys team made the playoffs two years in a row (during my time, aside from the obvious 1990s).. And with that knowledge, or with my logical assumption here, I think I'm able to reasonably deduce enough indicators to say he's also one of the better coaches you could possibly have in the NFL, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Those were bargain signing you can’t be serious have a good night and lay off the crack.

Whatever makes you feel better.

I'll just remind you from your pre-sleep dream that it's a team sport. The only thing you're pointing out here is that you can bring in bargain players able to contribute and help you win games.

We'll see how they rank as "bargain" players after the rookies have enough time to establish themselves as whatever kind of players they may become later on. And I'll also point out the fact we got them at a bargain price also bodes well for the job the front office did this offseason, which is my point.

In fact, when you break down what you mean as opposed to taking what you're saying literally, I suspect we may have someone here who's been overly critical of the Jones' during this offseason, living out the past and their own resentments and taking out their anger via their football fandom — and the Joneses.

And now, even at 6-2 and trending upward, still isn't happy enough to give credit where credit is due. Because, well, that would in turn prove that the person is wrong.

The Marathon of hatred continues, no matter what. That's your answer and you're sticking to it.

Fine by me.

What's funny is that I've been pretty consistent with my view that they were doing a nice job this season. You can see that by my responses to the moves they made.

No homer (haha).

I'm sure if they don't win a championship with the numerical odds stacked heavily against them, and any other team for that matter.

And lastly, I'll just admit it: never tried crack myself.
The idea of getting high sounds fun. But I'm afraid it would have a terrible impact and turn me into the kind of person who hides behind cowardly drive comments on message boards to compensate how angry I am with my personal life, because I've been told the drug can transform you into a bitter, insecure peon — and I'm afraid it could incapacitate my ability to achieve basic things and limit my intellectual capacity to give credit where credit is due even in events where my expectations were low.

And I might end up someone who, no matter what happens in life, can never find a reason to live a happy moment in the present unless there's some kind of benefit at the end of my happiness to justify being happy, because only my ego would matter. If I were to ever smoke crack, I'm afraid it might turn me into someone who'd rather remain bitter and my miserable about my overall personal life and one of those people who project my self-hating thoughts about others' shortcomings, or my perception of them, in order to hide my own shortcomings . . . something like crack, I imagine, might make me ironically passive aggressive.

So, while I appreciate the the kind intent behind your warning. Don't worry. I'd never smoke crack, because I'd never want to end up so shallow and disingenuous with standards for others that I myself could likely never achieve.

Besides, I like living in the present and future rather than dwelling on past events I cannot change. So those are my main expectations of human beings as well.

Good night, sleepy.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Whatever makes you feel better.

I'll just remind you from your pre-sleep dream that it's a team sport. The only thing you're pointing out here is that you can bring in bargain players able to contribute and help you win games.

We'll see how they rank as "bargain" players after the rookies have enough time to establish themselves as whatever kind of players they may become later on. And I'll also point out the fact we got them at a bargain price also bodes well for the job the front office did this offseason, which is my point.

In fact, when you break down what you mean as opposed to taking what you're saying literally, I suspect we may have someone here who's been overly critical of the Jones' during this offseason, living out the past and their own resentments and taking out their anger via their football fandom — and the Joneses.

And now, even at 6-2 and trending upward, still isn't happy enough to give credit where credit is due. Because, well, that would in turn prove that the person is wrong.

The Marathon of hatred continues, no matter what. That's your answer and you're sticking to it.

Fine by me.

What's funny is that I've been pretty consistent with my view that they were doing a nice job this season. You can see that by my responses to the moves they made.

No homer (haha).

I'm sure if they don't win a championship with the numerical odds stacked heavily against them, and any other team for that matter.

And lastly, I'll just admit it: never tried crack myself.
The idea of getting high sounds fun. But I'm afraid it would have a terrible impact and turn me into the kind of person who hides behind cowardly drive comments on message boards to compensate how angry I am with my personal life, because I've been told the drug can transform you into a bitter, insecure peon — and I'm afraid it could incapacitate my ability to achieve basic things and limit my intellectual capacity to give credit where credit is due even in events where my expectations were low.

And I might end up someone who, no matter what happens in life, can never find a reason to live a happy moment in the present unless there's some kind of benefit at the end of my happiness to justify being happy, because only my ego would matter. If I were to ever smoke crack, I'm afraid it might turn me into someone who'd rather remain bitter and my miserable about my overall personal life and one of those people who project my self-hating thoughts about others' shortcomings, or my perception of them, in order to hide my own shortcomings . . . something like crack, I imagine, might make me ironically passive aggressive.

So, while I appreciate the the kind intent behind your warning. Don't worry. I'd never smoke crack, because I'd never want to end up so shallow and disingenuous with standards for others that I myself could likely never achieve.

Besides, I like living in the present and future rather than dwelling on past events I cannot change. So those are my main expectations of human beings as well.

Good night, sleepy.
I’m confuses to why you quoted me with this reply? I didn’t argue against any of the above. I simply argued against the idea the Cowboys were big spenders…why you sent that post is beyond me.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.

You know we only have 1 playoff Td by a DC Te in 20+ years using a dual te scheme and we lost that game

Our te core hasn't made a game changing scoring play since like back when my kids were in diapers.

What's the longest TD catch by any of our tes this year. Maybe 4 yards

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I’m confuses to why you quoted me with this reply? I didn’t argue against any of the above. I simply argued against the idea the Cowboys were big spenders…why you sent that post is beyond me.

Silly me. You must have been replying to someone on my list and I thought the comment was directed at me. Hence my over the top reply, because I thought it was out of the blue and unnecessary in the context that I believed it was direct at me.

That's apparently not the case, so I retract 100 percent and extend my sincere apologies.

Sorry for jumping to conclusions and generalizing.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You know we only have 1 playoff Td by a DC Te in 20+ years using a dual te scheme and we lost that game

Our te core hasn't made a game changing scoring play since like back when my kids were in diapers.

I honestly believe this group is different, and gives us a unique ability to weaponize our TEs that other teams are not capable of — at least to the extent which we are capable of.

kskboys

Reaction score

Length of TD catch is a very poor way to analyze players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Bargain signings? Thats 1/3 of our starting defense buddy. And you want to give that up for Cooper?

Keep smoking.
Man go to bed you argue so much you lost track of what you are even arguing about lol. I’m the one arguing getting rid of Cooper was for the best. Y’all have to stop drinking and posting when y’all get on this site.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Man go to bed you argue so much you lost track of what you are even arguing about lol. I’m the one arguing getting rid of Cooper was for the best. Y’all have to stop drinking and posting when y’all get on this site.
I’m not a y’all!

aiyt?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Length of TD catch is a very poor way to analyze players.

Hey if you don't have any scoring abililities why are you playing a Receiver role you're no good at is all I'm saying.

The tes can get 15 completions a game and not score and maybe we'll win the game 6-3 on a fg in overtime. Lmao.

They're just getting gimme scores in blowout games lol

Don't glorify them for taking what the defense gives them. Js

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I honestly believe this group is different, and gives us a unique ability to weaponize our TEs that other teams are not capable of — at least to the extent which we are capable of.
But you can't weaponize around a skilled player that can only hit his head on the goal post when you're blowing out some scrub team and the game has already been won lol

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
That was a decent scoring play for Schultz and he had a few avg catches tonight.

But for every good thing this te core did including the recovered fumble there were mistakes they made. And again they weren't good enough to beat a 3-6 green bay team w Rodgers (on Grass) because that's still our kryptonite