CFZ The Front Office, McClay also Nailed it on the Tight End Group

Havic

Reaction score
Franchising Schultz was the right move, and he's been very good when on the field. Injury issues definitely worrisome.

Yes, but we do need to move on from him after this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Cowboys' ability to find talent is almost unfair to the rest of the NFL.

Now let's see it translate to January and February. It's been a while.

Great at getting talent on the cheap.
UnGreat at getting value for the big money we spend.
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Too bad they did not trust him to nail it and payed Schultz 11 million dollars to be average and injured.

Paying Schultz was smart. He's part of the reason I think they nailed it. You never know what you're getting with rookies; you can only make good guesses. But I think they took the right route by keeping Schultz and then bringing up the two rookies. They are starting out slow, but they are at least starting out. and that's a good indicator of what they're capable of.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
oh come on. Just how many second round picks have played out: and that is an IMPORTANT ROUND.
so lose the Jones fanboy worship

Sam Williams paid off, and is paying off.

Stop parroting the trolls.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Terrible pick but he just got 70 million lol…I agree the approach was terrible but the player ended up being a good one.

I repeat.

Sam Williams...

It only matters what they're doing now. I'm not saying they nailed it for the past 27 years. My posting history would show you that.

I'm talking about now. I'm not living in the past like the rest.

kskboys

Reaction score
Conner, Chido, Gregory are also started and Sam Williams has the potential to be one.

I don’t disagree with you that some of them were stupid. No argument there. But some of those stupid picks ended up being good players.
Gregory was 100% a stupid pick.

Connor Williams has underperformed drastically.

You're now reaching pretty hard.

kskboys

Reaction score
I repeat.

Sam Williams...

It only matters what they're doing now. I'm not saying they nailed it for the past 27 years. My posting history would show you that.

I'm talking about now. I'm not living in the past like the rest.
Sam Williams hasn't panned out yet. I think he will, but not yet.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Sam Williams hasn't panned out yet. I think he will, but not yet.

I think that anyone paying attention knows that Sam Williams was a good 2nd round pick.

You can reserve your judgement if you want. That's fine. I'm saying right now he was a good 2nd round pick.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.
Taking a chance in Hendershot was key. Without the DV, he may have gone before Ferguson

817Gill

Reaction score
Connor Williams ....... best center in the league ....... our front office is just to stupid to put him at the right position.
Front offices don’t make that decision, coaches do.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Connor Williams ....... best center in the league ....... our front office is just to stupid to put him at the right position.

Interesting. Same scheme as Dallas?

I can't say I know.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I like that Hendershot seems to add a little more juice to our TEs.

Ferguson and Schultz look about as mobile as Witten during his twilight years...

They are good at catching, but virtually can't get any yards after the catch