CFZ The Front Office, McClay also Nailed it on the Tight End Group

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
yeah, i was all in when they got Ferguson and felt he would be what he is. Hendershot surprised me, but a good surprise. Both have the abilities Dallas needs from their TEs. ... Schultz got a nice parting gift from Jerry so i don't feel too sorry for him. Good thing the rookies are playing well to pickup the slack because of Schultz' injury plagued season.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Everyone in between Lawrance and Diggs/Williams never lived up to expectations.
I don’t know what expectations people had but when you draft in the second round you are looking for a starter not a star. And they still managed to snag a few guys along the way who were stars. Their lack of success in the second round is not only a myth but better than most.

kskboys

Reaction score
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.
The TE position was handled brilliantly. Franchise the guy you know can play, and get a couple of good prospects in here. No one could have done it any better.

Fergie was a higher rated prospect than Otten, and may be the better player in the long run. Yet to be seen.

Good post, BTW, well done.

kskboys

Reaction score
yeah, i was all in when they got Ferguson and felt he would be what he is. Hendershot surprised me, but a good surprise. Both have the abilities Dallas needs from their TEs. ... Schultz got a nice parting gift from Jerry so i don't feel too sorry for him. Good thing the rookies are playing well to pickup the slack because of Schultz' injury plagued season.
Franchising Schultz was the right move, and he's been very good when on the field. Injury issues definitely worrisome.

Fmart322

Reaction score
Looking back on the 2018 draft, the eagles definitely got us when they traded up for Dallas Goedert. He would have been a great pick for the Cowboys at TE for years to come.

Rayman70

Reaction score
McKean aint no slouch either guys. He's looked good in spot duty. We don't need a wr. Just use 12,13 personnel. Lets use the strength f the offense, which is the backs and tight ends we have.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don’t know what expectations people had but when you draft in the second round you are looking for a starter not a star. And they still managed to snag a few guys along the way who were stars. Their lack of success in the second round is not only a myth but better than most.
2022: Sam Williams. Bit of a project, but should turn out.
2021: Kelvin Joseph. Project. Stupid pick. Might turn out, but not playing up to draft position.
2020: Trevon Diggs: Great pick.
2019: Trysten Hill: Way overdrafted. Stupid pick.
2018: Connor Williams: Shaky pick. Lacks/lacked strength.
2017: Awuzie: OK pick
2016: Jaylon Smith: Absolutely terrible pick
2015: Randy Gregory: Terrible pick
2014: DLaw: Good pick
2013: Escobar: Terrible pick

You know, I do agree, it's not quite as bad as many of us are making it out to be. However, the busts in the 2nd round have kept us from taking the next step. Even moreso, the players we passed up in the 2nd is keeping us from taking the next step.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
2022: Sam Williams. Bit of a project, but should turn out.
2021: Kelvin Joseph. Project. Stupid pick. Might turn out, but not playing up to draft position.
2020: Trevon Diggs: Great pick.
2019: Trysten Hill: Way overdrafted. Stupid pick.
2018: Connor Williams: Shaky pick. Lacks/lacked strength.
2017: Awuzie: OK pick
2016: Jaylon Smith: Absolutely terrible pick
2015: Randy Gregory: Terrible pick
2014: DLaw: Good pick
2013: Escobar: Terrible pick

You know, I do agree, it's not quite as bad as many of us are making it out to be. However, the busts in the 2nd round have kept us from taking the next step. Even moreso, the players we passed up in the 2nd is keeping us from taking the next step.
I disagree. It’s impossible to hit on 2nd round picks year after year.

You are breaking the picks down based on good or bad. You want a starter in the second round. Not a star. In those 10 years they found starters in 7 of those drafts.

The talent was so good that Connor, Chido and Gregory got picked up by other teams as starters . Second round has not stopped us from taking the next step. That’s extreme.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Looking back on the 2018 draft, the eagles definitely got us when they traded up for Dallas Goedert. He would have been a great pick for the Cowboys at TE for years to come.
I disagree. Great pick yes. But this team has shown they don’t need a first or second round pick to find a tight end.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Say what you want. You could argue they didn't land Cade Otton, or whatever. But I think they still played it nicely. After the draft, I watched lots of film on our players, and I suspected shortly after we drafted Ferguson, then landed Hendershot, that we would be a really good 12 personnel team, as well as 13 personnel in 2023.

I know the stats aren't all that pretty. But these guys are helping our team win games. It's the little things they can all do, including the fact they can be a threat in the passing game, that makes them valuable. I've always thought that TEs make great special teams guys, and playing special teams can teach them things like blocking, so it's a win win.

In any case, what I would like to see Dallas do throughout the remainder of the season is get their TEs more involved in the passing game, as well as blocking game. That should be part of their game-time agenda moving forward during practice is to scheme around their TEs. If they do that, they'll be a tougher team for it in the post season.

I think this holds true for the remainder of the team, not just the TEs. If you know where your weaknesses are, then you should make it a point to work on those weaknesses during the games when it makes sense to work on those areas. Doing that, also makes you less predictable.

You can actually scheme around how to NOT be predictable. And still run some high-percentage plays on which you could convert on as much as the obvious ones. It's really about thinking ahead.

In the past, our coaches and staff haven't done much of that. But this year, you can see they've done some behind the scenes work to get better at it, and them being willing to listen to others has paid off.

Our TE group is why I think we have a good shot moving forward. None all too flashy, but they are all solid weapons. And we have four of them.

Zeke & Pollard with 2 TE set is a winning formula.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Zeke & Pollard with 2 TE set is a winning formula.
Agree. I like the 12,13 personnel groupings. Thats when we are dynamic and hard to match. Lets use our strength, which is the tight ends we have. Best in the league as a group. I recall the Bears and the Eagles struggled when we used that packaging.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree. It’s impossible to hit on 2nd round picks year after year.

You are breaking the picks down based on good or bad. You want a starter in the second round. Not a star. In those 10 years they found starters in 7 of those drafts.

The talent was so good that Connor, Chido and Gregory got picked up by other teams as starters . Second round has not stopped us from taking the next step. That’s extreme.
Diggs, Awuzie, DLaw. I count 3.

Impossible, yes. However, the primary complaints are about taking players who were injury issues, mental issues, or attitude issues. 5 of those 10 picks were incredibly stupid. That's a lot of stupid picks in the 2nd in 10 years.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah that’s annoying people think Schultz was a bad move. A solid move. Franchise him then you don’t have to rely on rookies. He’s a good player. He’s not flashy. Still solid and a chain mover.
If he'll player for 6-8 millionish, I'd sign him again.

I don't know how, but people continuously underrate how hard it is to get open at the NFL level. The stupidest statement on this site(Well, one of the stupidest!!!) is that any TE can get open continuously. They have no comprehension how hard it is to do what Witten did, and what Schultz can do.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

A good starter maybe. Not the weak link on your line or suspended for 4 seasons and start one good season, ect....ect.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Diggs, Awuzie, DLaw. I count 3.

Impossible, yes. However, the primary complaints are about taking players who were injury issues, mental issues, or attitude issues. 5 of those 10 picks were incredibly stupid. That's a lot of stupid picks in the 2nd in 10 years.
Conner, Chido, Gregory are also started and Sam Williams has the potential to be one.

I don’t disagree with you that some of them were stupid. No argument there. But some of those stupid picks ended up being good players.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Connor Williams ....... best center in the league ....... our front office is just to stupid to put him at the right position.