The Full Scope Of Dak’s Leverage

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Right now if Dak were a unrestricted FA there isnt a team in the league that would pay him 30 mil. The bottom feeders like the Bengals, Dolphins are going to get a very good rookie QB on the cheap for 4 years. If the Cowboys tag Dak and he holds out they play Cooper Rush one season and end up drafting Trevor Lawrence. That's winning situation Dallas. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the good of the organization. I like the way Joey says worst case scenario Dak gets tagged for 2 years. THAT S NOT TRUE! The worst case scenario for Dak would be he tests the open market and doesnt get any offers over 23 mil.

Actually, the worst that I can think of is that he gets tagged, decides to sit out the season and is in the exact same place he is now, a year from today. This guy, as I said earlier, is not a Football guy. He's a marketing/financial guy. So far as I can tell, his opinion is no better then the next guy who is able to post on a board or tweet something to the world.

JMO

vnick

Reaction score
While Dak has some leverage, he doesn't have all the leverage.

Granted, Dallas should not have let it get to this point. But my guess is the non-exclusive franchise tag puts Dak if done two consecutive years at 2/61 or in that ballpark. I am assuming that any longterm deal would average around 35 million a year or so. If Dak isn't willing to go at least 5 years on a long term deal, Dallas might be best off using the franchise for one year. A 3-4 year deal at 3/105 or 4/140 doesn't make much sense for Dallas. A third tag puts a 3 year deal at approximately the 3/105...add a little inflation due to the rising QB contracts and maybe it his 3/110. Either way, a three year deal doesn't make sense for Dallas. We are better off just tagging him.

So, the leverage isn't as much as you think. So, if even with the tag Dallas is looking at 3/110, then a four year deal at 35 AAV is to be the starting point.

Now, going the tag route, Dak could hold out and refuse to work out and such, but as a QB his value could be diminished the most my doing so. For Dak to get the payday at some point that he wants, whether this offseason or one in the future, he has to continue to improve. To me, Dak has to be a part of OTAs and meetings to do that, and if he takes a step back, it could cost him millions in a future contract, especially if he is playing year to year under the tag.

The largest piece of leverage Dak holds is that the Cowboys have no viable options other than to pay him. For this offseason, that is true to a degree, but those situations can change suddenly. If Dak does play on the tag this season, I believe the Cowboys need to look to find a QB in the draft, even if it is in the 4th round. Dak, himself was a fourth round player.

That being said, Dallas does have a final option and that is to allow Dak to become a FA and simply bid against the other 31 teams for his services. I don't expect that to happen this offseason, but it could in the future if Dallas believes Dak is being unreasonable.

I do think Dak has leverage, but the options of the tag give Dallas some too. I do believe deadlines make deals. There are two of these. The first is the March 10 deadline. If nothing is done by then, I expect the tag to happen, but also I expect a deal done by the July 15 deadline.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Dak is definitely not going to sit out the whole year. If he were to delay signing the tag it would just be so the Cowboys can't try to flip him during the draft. Can't trade him if he hasn't signed. July 15 is the deadline to get a longterm deal done with a franchised player so after that point there is no real benefit to Dak sitting out.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Right now if Dak were a unrestricted FA there isnt a team in the league that would pay him 30 mil. The bottom feeders like the Bengals, Dolphins are going to get a very good rookie QB on the cheap for 4 years. If the Cowboys tag Dak and he holds out they play Cooper Rush one season and end up drafting Trevor Lawrence. That's winning situation Dallas. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made for the good of the organization. I like the way Joey says worst case scenario Dak gets tagged for 2 years. THAT S NOT TRUE! The worst case scenario for Dak would be he tests the open market and doesnt get any offers over 23 mil.

There are reports that even Bridgewater could get $30 million

817Gill

Reaction score
Actually, the worst that I can think of is that he gets tagged, decides to sit out the season and is in the exact same place he is now, a year from today. This guy, as I said earlier, is not a Football guy. He's a marketing/financial guy. So far as I can tell, his opinion is no better then the next guy who is able to post on a board or tweet something to the world.

JMO
It’s not an opinion dude lol, it’s the financial options Dak has as written in the rules of the previously agreed CBA and more specifically franchise tags. It’s not speculation it’s the actual financial avenues Dak and The Cowboys must work under in order to make a deal.

Unfortunately for the Cowboys, the price of the tags and the rights Prescott has under those tags, as well as the realities of not having a viable long term starter at QB give Prescott’s camp some real strong avenues for getting what he wants financially.

None of the factual information in the thread is false, if you believe it is, please find evidence to rebuke it. Simply challenging the posters authority or calling it speculation doesn’t advance the discussion whatsoever

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Speculation by Bobby Belt

Short on years but a lot of guaranteed $$.

If this is how it goes down, deal or no deal Zoners? I say deal.

Swagger

Reaction score
Why don't we just tag Prescott and see how it works out after this season?

Is he really going to refuse and sit out an entire season?

I would be amazed as surely he knows the favourable offensive conditions he works with at the Cowboys.

Apologies for the stupid question but what is the deadline/protocol regarding the tag?

If we offer him the tag before the draft and he refuses then surely we just draft a QB in the first round.

I will hold my hands up that I don't know how it works regarding the tag but understand that he must sign it if we are to receive any draft picks?

So am I right in stating that the Mexican stand off between the parties is (if a long term deal cannot be agreed), whether the Dallas Cowboys front office cave in first to avoid having to draft a QB in the 2020 draft and lose Prescott for nothing against Prescott signing the tag to guarantee himself around $27 million this season?

Could we then not look to trade him before the draft?

Whether people are for or against Prescott signing a contract is irrelevant, i'm just interested to know what the actual options are if a long term contract is not agreed between the two parties.

Thanks in advance.

shabazz

Reaction score
its a fair assessment of Dakotas leverage...........assuming that the FO's of NFL franchises are buying into the same hype Joey Ickes is selling. We shall see

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Starting caliber QB’s, especially young ones with whom your team won the division 2 of 4 years, ones who have even more growth potential, will always have all the leverage with any owner who wants to field a competitive team. Every team in the NFL knows how close they can all be to facing a decade or more searching for the next QB worthy of this contract fight. It just ain’t as easy as some fans think. You can be back in the Palleur, Hogeboom, Carter, Henson abyss faster than you can imagine.

Section446

Reaction score
I would LOVE to do a short-term deal with him, that way we can drop him and get serious about winning a Super Bowl in 3 years.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hate this part of sports...I really do.
I'm happy they get paid so well but dang it's getting over the top these days.
Your importance in society is nil as compared to teachers, first responders, military and other such jobs. Yet here they sit arguing over if 33 million is fair compensation to play a game or is 37 million fair. Man, sure hope you can survive on that kind of salary!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
eh, Joey assumes Dallas will refuse to cover themselves in the next 2 months with a veteran QB. There are a number of free agent QB's who can come in here and be successful surrounded by as much talent as Dak has had. Or, here's a crazy thought.......draft a QB. We won 13 games with Dak as a rookie. So, you can't say it can't be done with the coaches managing the playbook.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It’s not an opinion dude lol, it’s the financial options Dak has as written in the rules of the previously agreed CBA and more specifically franchise tags. It’s not speculation it’s the actual financial avenues Dak and The Cowboys must work under in order to make a deal.

Unfortunately for the Cowboys, the price of the tags and the rights Prescott has under those tags, as well as the realities of not having a viable long term starter at QB give Prescott’s camp some real strong avenues for getting what he wants financially.

None of the factual information in the thread is false, if you believe it is, please find evidence to rebuke it. Simply challenging the posters authority or calling it speculation doesn’t advance the discussion whatsoever

What are you talking about? All of the OP is opinion, based on what that guy thinks. The team has the choice to do whatever they want, in terms of a contract. That's the only real truth. All the rest of this is just a bunch of what if.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
eh, Joey assumes Dallas will refuse to cover themselves in the next 2 months with a veteran QB. There are a number of free agent QB's who can come in here and be successful surrounded by as much talent as Dak has had. Or, here's a crazy thought.......draft a QB. We won 13 games with Dak as a rookie. So, you can't say it can't be done with the coaches managing the playbook.

Dak's only leverage if he gets tagged is to sign it right away and then report to all mini camps training camp etc to learn McCarthy's new offense, giving himself the best opportunity to shine next season and force the Cowboys hand into giving him an even bigger deal than he wants right now. If he gets tagged and holds out he risks falling behind (also the Cowboys picking up a veteran QB or taking one in the draft) not learning the offense properly and not having a great season at which point all his leverage for a new deal goes out the window and may also force the Cowboys into looking elsewhere. If it was still JG as the coach and was still his offense than yes sign the tag and hold out for a larger deal but the circumstances are different this year and if he's tagged and holds out he will only hurt himself

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak's only leverage if he gets tagged is to sign it right away and then report to all mini camps training camp etc to learn McCarthy's new offense, giving himself the best opportunity to shine next season and force the Cowboys hand into giving him an even bigger deal than he wants right now. If he gets tagged and holds out he risks falling behind (also the Cowboys picking up a veteran QB or taking one in the draft) not learning the offense properly and not having a great season at which point all his leverage for a new deal goes out the window and may also force the Cowboys into looking elsewhere. If it was still JG as coach and his offense than yet sign the tag and hold out for a lager deal but the circumstances are different this year and if he's tagged and holds out he will only hurt himself

I keep reading that Dak wants a 3 year deal so he can take advantage of the next CBA. That makes tagging him vs signing him a zero sum game for the cowboys b/c you can't load up on a signing bonus (like Seattle did with Russel Wilson) and spread out the cap hit over 5 years on a 3 year deal without creating a ton of dead money.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I keep reading that Dak wants a 3 year deal so he can take advantage of the next CBA. That makes tagging him vs signing him a zero sum game for the cowboys b/c you can't load up on a signing bonus (like Seattle did with Russel Wilson) and spread out the cap hit over 5 years on a 3 year deal without creating a ton of dead money.

Exactly which means it's just as useful for the Cowboys to tag him as to give him that 3 year deal, infact the transition tag actually saves them money on the cap this year assuming he would want a 32+m deal per season

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Or by some miracle Tua falls to the Cowboys and they pick him then Dak will only make what the franchise tag is this year at 27 mil I believe. And if Tua beats him out than he is screwed. I know Tua is not making it to us though so it is basically moot but you never know.

I think it actually depends on which Tag is applied. It could be 27 or it could be like 31 I think, not certain of the numbers any longer, I looked at it a few months ago. Of course, that is subject to change, based on other QBs who could sign between the time a deal gets done and now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly which means it's just as useful for the Cowboys to tag him as to give him that 3 year deal, infact the transition tag actually saves them money on the cap this year assuming he would want a 32+m deal per season

I think the snag is that Dak has said he won't play on a tag. Jerry showed his soft negotiating underbelly last year caving to DLAW and then Zeke. Dak knows all he has to do is go to Cabo to get paid what he wants. We are among the worst managed teams in the NFL.