The Fullback in McCarthy's offense

eromeopolk

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-dallas-kellen-moore-john-kuhn-jamize-olawale

How will Mike McCarthy’s love of fullbacks manifest in Dallas?

The new head coach certainly loves his fullbacks

Mike McCarthy may not be calling the plays on offense - Kellen Moore will continue to do so - but the veteran head coach is still looking to infuse his own offensive philosophies with Moore’s. Some things, like frequent passing on early downs and loads of play-action, will easily translate from McCarthy to Moore. But what about the fullback position?
It was rarely used by Moore last year, but McCarthy’s record of utilizing fullbacks in a variety of ways could change that in 2020.
Because Garrett could not count to 7, I use to always say that Garrett's Ivy League background was for show only. You need 7 to block 7. You need 5 OL, 1 TE and 1 FB to attack either 3/4 or 4/3 defense.

Until the Garrett years, Cowboys have had a history of FB. Even Parcells brought in Richie Anderson at FB.

I hope that this is not another Garrett and Son of a Bum situation where the OC is the HC of Offense.

The FB position is simple math...7 block 7.

quickccc

Reaction score
agree.

jerry likes the kid.

mike can’t be happy about the play calling situation.

we need to watch the OL too.

how bad will Philbin mess things up?

Didn't you previously suggest that Joe Philibin will be the eventual OC since he was a McCarthy guy ?

MM can't be happy about the play calling ?
-Cowboys finished 1st in yrds gained
-Cowboys finished 5th in NFL in rushing
-Cowboys finished 6th in the NFL in points scored
-Cowboys finished 2nd in NFL in least sacks allowed

But he can't be happy with about the play calling situation?

https://www.lineups.com/nfl-team-rankings

I agree with the OL working under Joe Philbin.
hopefully OL coach Joe Phillbin wont mess things up in his new zone scheme.
while i welcome a more splash oriented run scheme, i do worry about a setback from a physical to finesse position style of play.
i loved what Columbo accomplished as a pass protection unit.

while Philibin has OL coach experience, it's only been three years and i'm looking for high accomplishments as an OL Coach
ala Columbo 2nd least sacks allowed and 5th in rushing.

So with the Colts as OL coach, how did Philibin perform ?
They were no.1 in least sacks allowed After Philibin departed and ex-OL coach Howard Mudd returned as OL coach in 2018..
i'm researching this.

James Campell was really the Packers OL coach the previous years but he wasn't available now with him being the Chargers current OL coach.otherwise he'd be here in that capacity.

quickccc

Reaction score
could be wrong but i think udfa Sewo Olonilua beats out Olawale for that spot.

im also interested to watch udfa Rico Dowdle...and wonder if he will get a look at FB...he will make a run at the 3rd RB spot...but so will Darius Anderson.
so maybe see if Dowdle can handle his business at FB.

but Olonilua is built like a tank...im kinda rootin' for him to get that spot.

the only one i've seen as converted to FB was TCU's Sewo Olonilua - i read where he was a weight room freak and was trying to
bulk up a bit more. Only thing he is not an accomplished blocker as a converted FB, that's something that he'll have to be groomed to become.
So who knows.

Finesse oriented Olawele has both NFL experience and familiarity with the Cowboys offense. With such limitations with OTA's, training camp
and zero preseason, i don't see how Sewo cannot make up for that without that training process.
i wish we had kept converted LB to FB Keith Smith.

cowboyec

Reaction score
the only one i've seen as converted to FB was TCU's Sewo Olonilua - i read where he was a weight room freak and was trying to
bulk up a bit more. Only thing he is not an accomplished blocker as a converted FB, that's something that he'll have to be groomed to become.
So who knows.

Finesse oriented Olawele has both NFL experience and familiarity with the Cowboys offense. With such limitations with OTA's, training camp
and zero preseason, i don't see how Sewo
cannot make up for that without that training process.
i wish we had kept converted LB to FB Keith Smith.
because of this weird off-season...its gonna give a big advantage to vets.
but i am intrigued by all 3 udfa backs...Olonilua at FB...Anderson and Dowdle at RB.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...-dallas-kellen-moore-john-kuhn-jamize-olawale

How will Mike McCarthy’s love of fullbacks manifest in Dallas?

The new head coach certainly loves his fullbacks

Mike McCarthy may not be calling the plays on offense - Kellen Moore will continue to do so - but the veteran head coach is still looking to infuse his own offensive philosophies with Moore’s. Some things, like frequent passing on early downs and loads of play-action, will easily translate from McCarthy to Moore. But what about the fullback position?
It was rarely used by Moore last year, but McCarthy’s record of utilizing fullbacks in a variety of ways could change that in 2020.

Based on the fact that MM has put little emphasis on upgrading the TE position and no effort at all to bring in a legit fullback it seems pretty clear to me that he is going more in the Moore direction. Passing game focus with 4 and 5 receiver sets with Pollard being more of a back out of the backfield then a FB. Spreading out the defense and attacking.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
With the lack of a preseason being a sure thing, it's entirely possible that the offensive changes will be kept to a minimum for a while. The new staff will gradually install their changes in highly incremental degrees to keep the offense simple and workable in the early stages of the season. It might be mid season or later before much change is readily apparent.

That situation has much to do with Kellen Moore being available and there to implement plays that have prior recognition. We'll be keeping things simple until familiarity with MM's methods are gradually being attained. I see the addition of McCarthy's offensive scheme being a slow and quite cautiously added procedure. Let's not foolishly expect a flood of changes early on. That's definitely not to say it won't be intriguing, however.

Nope...……...with Moore now unleashed without Garrett and MM being an offensive minded HC they are going to want to make their changes and open things up even more. The run game too will be different in how they attack more from a spread formation in the run game.

I think we will see changes right out of the gate. The element of surprise and unpredictability is going to be a major factor needed in a fast start.

The days of Garrett implementing nothing and being predictable are over. Wont matter to a good coaching staff they need to make changes. They might be a little more limited, but it will be new stuff.

OGCowboy

Reaction score
Walt Garrisons and Moose Johnson’s and Newsomes are few and far between...I’m anxious to see what MMc can turn a FB into with this offense. Lord knows tha Clapping Carrot never did chit with a FB or any other position for that matter...

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
KMoore runs an AIrCor offense.

Is that compatible with WestCoast?

which means Jerry is still calling the shots.

reminds me of Garrett and Wade back in the late 2000’s.

the casualty in all this was MColombo. He gets fired because Mike wanted Philbin to be the shadow OC.

not happening.

Amazes me people still don't understand Kellen...but then again..I guess I can't fault people...because the shackles Garrett put on Kellen. We started to see some good things Kellen brought early on in the season...motion...to dictate match ups...then mysteriously...it all disappeared.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Nope...……...with Moore now unleashed without Garrett and MM being an offensive minded HC they are going to want to make their changes and open things up even more. The run game too will be different in how they attack more from a spread formation in the run game.

I think we will see changes right out of the gate. The element of surprise and unpredictability is going to be a major factor needed in a fast start.

The days of Garrett implementing nothing and being predictable are over. Wont matter to a good coaching staff they need to make changes. They might be a little more limited, but it will be new stuff.

Most of what the media has been saying lately conflicts with what you're saying. The words I used was "it's possible" that they'd be conservative with the changes for a while to avoid confusion and mistakes in the beginning before making sweeping changes at the outset.

It remains to be seen what Moore chooses to do. Nobody has an inside scoop as to what might be in store at this juncture. Whether the new regime will choose to be conservative about their changes being made or boldly inclined to introduce new stuff all at once is up to those involved. Whatever Moore and McCarthy choose to do offensively and how soon it's to be introduced will be their decision and the same goes with the defensive coordinator's plans.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
what offensive changes?

KMoore is running the offense. 8/

You don't think MM will have anything to say about what he wants in conjunction with Kellen Moore's plans? If so, that's where we differ. Big Mike is the HC and as such, I think it's very likely that they've discussed their prospective plans together at length already. Does Kellen have complete autonomy? He very likely didn't with Garrett. We've yet to see whether he does or not with MM. Perhaps they won't reveal all the details about their inside planning.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most of what the media has been saying lately conflicts with what you're saying. The words I used was "it's possible" that they'd be conservative with the changes for a while to avoid confusion and mistakes in the beginning before making sweeping changes at the outset.

It remains to be seen what Moore chooses to do. Nobody has an inside scoop as to what might be in store at this juncture. Whether the new regime will choose to be conservative about their changes being made or boldly inclined to introduce new stuff all at once is up to those involved. Whatever Moore and McCarthy choose to do offensively and how soon it's to be introduced will be their decision and the same goes with the defensive coordinator's plans.

so you get your ideas from the media? I see.