The Future of the Daily Zone **** PLEASE READ ****

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
ZeroClub;3500972 said:
Thanks for all you do!
Agreed! Not sure if you guys hear it enough but we (I'm sure I can speak for most of us here) appreciate all the work that goes into keeping the Zone the best Cowboys forum on the 'net!

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
To further protect yourself, I might suggest deleting any links or references to sites that show live games that users may post.

I've heard rumblings that those types of sites are going to be hit hard as well as talk of going after sites that promote them.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3500916 said:
How about this idea:

Post a topic, only including a link to the source and install a mod that when hovering over the link it opens up the site in a previewtype screen, therefor the site gets there view and ad money, and you dont have to go through the hassle of leaving the page, coming back to the page and then posting a reply. There are surly mods for VB that allow for page previews on links that you hover over. This solution surely is not the best one, but it is an acceptable one IMO.

i was gonna say that with the abilities of most browsers today having tabs and all that, I have no problem clicking a link and thought that should be just standard practice.

I still think using links is ok, but I really like this idea above.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Reality;3500923 said:
That may be something we look at ..

-Reality

totally agree, with what austin says, sounds good

most of my sites are used via one posted below, so if you get into some type of cooperation with them, let me know reality, so can post full article later or whatever;

www.draftdaddy.com
www.espncowboysblog.com
www.fwst.com/sports/cowboys
www.cowboys.scout.com but i hardly use that anymore
www.trueblueforum.com
www.couchscout.com
www.cbssports.com/cowboys
dallasmorningnew blog but only for posting headlines from todd archer, etc
www.tfydraft.com
www.dfwsportsbeat.com
www.fssw.com channel 676 fox sports southwest
www.footballfuture.com
www.1660espn.com

those are main ones i use to get cowboys info and draft stuff

so let me know what you come up with, thanks joe

21Savage

newnationcb
Reaction score
theogt;3501060 said:
Thought this might be the issue. No big deal having to click a link to read an article, IMO.

Except you work at a place where everything gets blocked but cowboyszone magically remains uncensored

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
So DMN now is allowing us to post there stuff?

What gives?

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
Phoenix;3501092 said:
Well written Reality!

Hope you didn't have that excellent write-up copyrighted, because I reposted all over the internet :D

:laugh2:

kapolani

Reaction score
So this is the result of one of our users running to a site and 'turning' us in, eh?

Hope the ******* got banned.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Reality,

There is actually a way to do exactly what you're asking without anyone having to worry about posting it that way.

You can turn turn the Daily Zone into an RSS feed from the various news sites. vBulletin has that feature that will link the feed to a specific forum. It will literally post a snippet of the article for you with a link to the rest of the article. They would appear as threads as each item is posted on the news sites. It might be beneficial because it would post as the articles come up, rather than someone having to search for them. (WG might appreciate it.)

Most news sites actually provide an RSS feed now, so it wouldn't be that hard to set up. I'm not sure which version of vBul you're running, but I'm pretty sure most of them have now. I can show you how to set it up or even do it for you if you decide to go this route.

Primetime42

Reaction score
The legal stuff behind it all sucks, but I don't mind this move.

In fact, I think I might actually prefer it in my own perverse way.

Thanks for the heads up.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
kapolani;3501485 said:
So this is the result of one of our users running to a site and 'turning' us in, eh?

Hope the ******* got banned.
That's not the case, at all.

CowboyMike;3501494 said:
Reality,

There is actually a way to do exactly what you're asking without anyone having to worry about posting it that way.

You can turn turn the Daily Zone into an RSS feed from the various news sites. vBulletin has that feature that will link the feed to a specific forum. It will literally post a snippet of the article for you with a link to the rest of the article. They would appear as threads as each item is posted on the news sites. It might be beneficial because it would post as the articles come up, rather than someone having to search for them. (WG might appreciate it.)

Most news sites actually provide an RSS feed now, so it wouldn't be that hard to set up. I'm not sure which version of vBul you're running, but I'm pretty sure most of them have now. I can show you how to set it up or even do it for you if you decide to go this route.
We're aware and was one of the things we researched while the Daily Zone was down. There were time constraints involved, so in order to get the Daily Zone back up, we're going this route.

We are open to ideas, like the one R2A proposed.

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
I had no idea any of that was going on, so this was a truly educational mouse click. Very well written, and easy to understand. Kudos! Definitely sucks, but it beats getting sued.

:starspin

Phoenix

Reaction score
I do want to add that /. (that would be shashdot.org) has followed this model for YEARS, only allowing summaries of articles, for which links are provided to the articles.

Unfortunately, a lot of those sites experience what is known as the "/. effect", meaning too heavy traffic, crash of web servers, etc....

But, wow, they actually had the "new" model hands down YEARS ago.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3501521 said:
That's not the case, at all.

We're aware and was one of the things we researched while the Daily Zone was down. There were time constraints involved, so in order to get the Daily Zone back up, we're going this route.

We are open to ideas, like the one R2A proposed.

Well, the rss thing was the idea I put forward like what you're asking for. I didn't know you had already considered it. I've used it before in vBul at another site and it seems like a practical solution.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
CowboyMike;3501494 said:
Reality,

We have been experimenting with exactly this and still may use it. Thanks for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I'm in favor of lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks.

Lets storm those news sites and take some people for ransom.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Hey man,

You guys need to do what you need to do. I don't think this will change the enjoyable experience of coming here to read and enjoy other Cowboys fans views and takes on America's Team.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Interesting, had not heard of this law firm doing this.

Googled Righhaven and read about some other lawsuits. I didn't know you could actually be sued for posting an article on your blog from a newspaper that contains 'borrowed' content from your own blog that you published?

And some crazy conspiracy theories about the place.

Primetime42

Reaction score
Hoofbite;3501597 said:
I'm in favor of lighting torches and grabbing pitchforks.

Lets storm those news sites and take some people for ransom.
I'm down.