The future of the Dallas Cowboys

Blackrain

Reaction score
Having been a Cowboys fan since the first day they came into the league, I too miss the winning years. I also understand that Landry and Schramm had a couple of HUGE benefits that Jones hasn't had for last 27 years. Those benefits are they didn't have a thing called a salary cap nor free agency. When a team found any talent they had them and the team dictated to the player what they got paid. The player had very little options when it came to negotiating a new contract other than if they didn't like the amount they only had sitting out a year so they could be free to negotiate with any team. That VERY rarely worked because then the owners thought players lost to much sitting out a year and those players who did either never got signed again or were offered less than what their last team offered so most players didn't view sitting out as a good option. Jones and Johnson built that Super Bowl team with the help of free agency that had started before Jones bought the team and for the first few years with no salary cap. Once the cap started they were in worse shape than the saints going into this year's cap. The Cowboys were forced to let players walk in free agency and had to restructure so many contracts to get under the new thing called a cap that put so much dead money on the cap. So every year because of that dead cap money severely reducing what cap space they had to sign even their core players and have a shot at signing their draft choices they had to restructure contracts and that vicious cycle started. This cycle went on for a couple of decades until Stephen took over contracts and over a couple years period he let talent walk and stopped the massive restructuring and finally got the Cowboys to where their dead money was low and gave them some room to again retain core players and sign a couple of free agents each year. I'm not a huge Jones fan and one thing that's difficult to dispute about Jones is that coaches and players that have moved on to other teams have said that they never been around an owner that was more passionate about winning as what Jones is. We as fans may not agree with some or many things Jones has done, but those closest to the situation say his desire to win is strong and there. I just wish that some of the things he's done showed better returns than they have.

Jerrys desire to win is noted, documented and undisputed problem is it dosent out weigh his desire to have his DNA on every part of the team and get full credit for success .. Jerry dose not recognize his own limitations in building a SB team IN THE SALARY CAP ERA !!!! He has done it before YES!!! But it was in a time period where you could just throw money at problem spots and he with the most money to throw could win out .

Those days are long gone you need a much more elaborate plan in todays game and someone with the balls to hurt peoples feelings and implement it He dose not want to win bad enough to employ someone other than a family member with that expertise to get the job done and let them make the hard decisions that build a successful team .

This is why we are 25yrs in with only a couple playoff wins .

basel90

Reaction score
As a fan of the Cowboys for 50+ years. I treasure the memories of Tom Landry, Tex Schramm & Jimmy Johnson. They are the reason Jerry has been able to load his bank account the last 25 years without providing fans a winning product. The name Dallas Cowboys is the Amazon of football. No brag...Just facts. The product wins without winning.

don't expect anything to change in the way the Cowboys FO do business. Why change when you don't have too.
jerry's ego and commerical zeal saved the cowboys in the late 80s but his strong commercial drive has dominated the way he runs the team . Despite the fact it is a a cap game. he prefers stars and shiny objects over building a TEAM based on talent and stout defense.
I believe stephen has tried to stop that approach but he has not won many battles against jerry and his assistants.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
at some point this will stop...they have to start winning and competing for championships...not just the NFCE. most of us fans that are over 50 and remember Landry/Schramm/Johnson will not be around for another 25 years. if Stephen continues to do what Jerry does.....the money/ratings will dry up.
Im not sure about that. The franchise is worth 5 -6 billion and grows every year despite the ****** teams that have trotted out there many times

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm limiting my expectations to providing me with entertainment these days. The days of glorious championships one year after another are over, for the most part. Nowadays, we're fortunate to see a division championship, much less to actually contend for the Super Bowl. Assuming these low expectations is a handy mindset to prevent disappointment from creeping in as a season ends. If a championship run occurs, so much the better. ;)

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Jerrys desire to win is noted, documented and undisputed problem is it dosent out weigh his desire to have his DNA on every part of the team and get full credit for success .. Jerry dose not recognize his own limitations in building a SB team IN THE SALARY CAP ERA !!!! He has done it before YES!!! But it was in a time period where you could just throw money at problem spots and he with the most money to throw could win out .

Those days are long gone you need a much more elaborate plan in todays game and someone with the balls to hurt peoples feelings and implement it He dose not want to win bad enough to employ someone other than a family member with that expertise to get the job done and let them make the hard decisions that build a successful team .

This is why we are 25yrs in with only a couple playoff wins .

It's funny how as you said before the cap Jones could throw is money around and things were good but when there's been a cap that restricts that for just Jones but every team has the cap but they weren't thrown into the same cap hell starting the very first day of the cap as the Cowboys were and to just be able to resign core players had to continue doing restructures that put dead money on the cap and that vicious cycle last for 20 years until Stephen took over contracts and put an end to doing multiple massive restructures and bit the bullet for a couple of years so the Cowboys got get some cap space. Funny thing though because of the decrease in the cap this year most teams had to do some restructuring to get some wiggle room on their cap and teams like the saints will probably have to do more restructures again next year to get under the cap again year. Even with the new TV contracts that won't start until 2023 much of the increase in cap space will get eaten up from the restructuring done this season and next. Oh one more thing and that is with larger caps ALWAYS bring HIGHER market value for players so again the cap will be higher but so will the4 cost of signing players after all the dead money and/or restructured guaranteed money. Jones has had nor does he in the future have any control on what the cap is or will be but he will be forced like every other team to have to live with those cap amounts and market value for players. I'm not a big Jones fan and don't like things he's done but I also understand that he's restricted by the amount of cap there is. Oh, I'll take anyone's ability that has been doing something for 30 plus years over anyone that's has zero seconds of actual NFL experience doing any job in the NFL. Those people are like the people that play doctor who not only don't have a medical degree but never even went to college.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Nothing will change unless the party yacht sinks and takes all the idiots with it.

jnday

Reaction score
Stephen has some big shoes to fill as a businessman/salesman when JJ passes...he may have the Jones last name...but he may not have the skill of his daddy
At least Jerry seems like a fun guy to have a beer with even if he is full of BS. Stephen seems like a very unlikeable person from all of the interviews that I have seen with him.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
At least Jerry seems like a fun guy to have a beer with even if he is full of BS. Stephen seems like a very unlikeable person from all of the interviews that I have seen with him.
very true

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As a fan of the Cowboys for 50+ years. I treasure the memories of Tom Landry, Tex Schramm & Jimmy Johnson. They are the reason Jerry has been able to load his bank account the last 25 years without providing fans a winning product. The name Dallas Cowboys is the Amazon of football. No brag...Just facts. The product wins without winning.

So don't expect anything to change in the way the Cowboys FO do business. Why change when you don't have too.

I like your stream of consciousness.
Do you do drugs?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
That's crazy. No cell phones. You could still buy cigarettes from a machine. There were pay phones on the street. I remember that because I once had a midget ask me to put a quarter in the slot for him. Forget SB, Dallas hasn't been to a championship game since then. You would think just dumb luck would have had us there at least once. But Jerry defies the law of averages.
No Netflix and no govt.-program herb delivery to your door by a Kate Upton lookalike. Oh, wait, that last visage was me projecting into the future. Never mind.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Yep I figured you were Don from the old site
I was at the "True Blue" forum for a few years, were u there? Then I guess jerry bought it and it became the DC forum, and I was there
thru early 2016.
They changed the forum software, and after that the pages loaded very slow for me, so I found this site which was super fast compared to DCF,
and switched to this site. I used the Dandy pics here for awhile, but decided to modernize my avatar lol.

I was roasted here for saying Dak should maybe be starter over Romo, after the 2016 miami PS game lol. Then he became the starter and won 11 in a row.
Many had said in that thread he wasnt ready to start and or couldn't win games.
So I was Daks early fan, and now many think I am a hater . That was my 1st thread here,and I still remember it.

check it out lol from aug 2016
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/qb-debate-tony-or-dak-week-one.354586/

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's funny how as you said before the cap Jones could throw is money around and things were good but when there's been a cap that restricts that for just Jones but every team has the cap but they weren't thrown into the same cap hell starting the very first day of the cap as the Cowboys were and to just be able to resign core players had to continue doing restructures that put dead money on the cap and that vicious cycle last for 20 years until Stephen took over contracts and put an end to doing multiple massive restructures and bit the bullet for a couple of years so the Cowboys got get some cap space. Funny thing though because of the decrease in the cap this year most teams had to do some restructuring to get some wiggle room on their cap and teams like the saints will probably have to do more restructures again next year to get under the cap again year. Even with the new TV contracts that won't start until 2023 much of the increase in cap space will get eaten up from the restructuring done this season and next. Oh one more thing and that is with larger caps ALWAYS bring HIGHER market value for players so again the cap will be higher but so will the4 cost of signing players after all the dead money and/or restructured guaranteed money. Jones has had nor does he in the future have any control on what the cap is or will be but he will be forced like every other team to have to live with those cap amounts and market value for players. I'm not a big Jones fan and don't like things he's done but I also understand that he's restricted by the amount of cap there is. Oh, I'll take anyone's ability that has been doing something for 30 plus years over anyone that's has zero seconds of actual NFL experience doing any job in the NFL. Those people are like the people that play doctor who not only don't have a medical degree but never even went to college.
I agree Jerry is restricted and has no control over the cap . IMO this is all the more reason for him to hire the best GM money can buy . He flat out needs someone who is better at it than he or any of his family . He needs someone who views it as their JOB not their Hobby like he dose . When its your JOB there are expectations and accountability .

The way Jerry dose rolls its like a constant crap shoot rolling the dice on injured players or ones with suspect characters always hoping to pull a HOFer out of the scrap pile . Its like How many years do we have to watch a cobbled together Defense with medically mediocre LBs horrible secondary play and Zero Priority given to the DT position . Edge Rushers on dope or cant get along with the coach , wasted picks !!

Now we are trying to fix the defense with everybody they can find with an Achilles tear . Where dose it end ?? After a while you just get totally disgusted with Jerrys team building philosophy . We need a change !!

Blackrain

Reaction score
I was at the "True Blue" forum for a few years, were u there? Then I guess jerry bought it and it became the DC forum, and I was there
thru early 2016.
They changed the forum software, and after that the pages loaded very slow for me, so I found this site which was super fast compared to DCF,
and switched to this site. I used the Dandy pics here for awhile, but decided to modernize my avatar lol.

I was roasted here for saying Dak should maybe be starter over Romo, after the 2016 miami PS game lol. Then he became the starter and won 11 in a row.
Many had said in that thread he wasnt ready to start and or couldn't win games.
So I was Daks early fan, and now many think I am a hater . That was my 1st thread here,and I still remember it.

check it out lol from aug 2016
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/qb-debate-tony-or-dak-week-one.354586/
I was Rawhide on the other site and a Dak fan from the beginning also . I just remember your Avatar and knew it had to be you That was a great post

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree Jerry is restricted and has no control over the cap . IMO this is all the more reason for him to hire the best GM money can buy . He flat out needs someone who is better at it than he or any of his family . He needs someone who views it as their JOB not their Hobby like he dose . When its your JOB there are expectations and accountability .

The way Jerry dose rolls its like a constant crap shoot rolling the dice on injured players or ones with suspect characters always hoping to pull a HOFer out of the scrap pile . Its like How many years do we have to watch a cobbled together Defense with medically mediocre LBs horrible secondary play and Zero Priority given to the DT position . Edge Rushers on dope or cant get along with the coach , wasted picks !!

Now we are trying to fix the defense with everybody they can find with an Achilles tear . Where dose it end ?? After a while you just get totally disgusted with Jerrys team building philosophy . We need a change !!
The way Jerry dose rolls its like a constant crap shoot rolling the dice on injured players or ones with suspect characters always hoping to pull a HOFer out of the scrap pile ........that is Jerry, he loves doing exactly that lol. Jerry loves bargain players. and he will sign any former 1st round pick, thinking they will somehow
play good for him.
Jerry likes to fix and patch things each season, rather than build with a plan.
Just how he rolls, and it is fun for him, and he can somehow ignore the results of 25 years.
This wont change anytime soon.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He grinds Nigerian night crawlers into a paste, drys them out under the heat lamp then adds to a 50/50 mix of subpar Mexican pakalolo. Good stuff.
Egads!
Sounds like a learned science.
Good luck in the lab!

Blackrain

Reaction score
The way Jerry dose rolls its like a constant crap shoot rolling the dice on injured players or ones with suspect characters always hoping to pull a HOFer out of the scrap pile ........that is Jerry, he loves doing exactly that lol. Jerry loves bargain players. and he will sign any former 1st round pick, thinking they will somehow
play good for him.
Jerry likes to fix and patch things each season, rather than build with a plan.
Just how he rolls, and it is fun for him, and he can somehow ignore the results of 25 years.
This wont change anytime soon.

You are spot on Don its like our second round draft pick was where Jerry got his gambling fix every year hoping to hit on a winner so he could take credit as a football genius LOL
Its funny they settled for Dak as he wasnt who Jerry wanted . We really just blundered into him and got lucky . But of course Jerry was in the middle of his coaching experiment with Garrett and we couldnt take advantage of Dak and Zeke while they were on rookie money