The Genius of Jerruh

DFWJC

Reaction score
I love Jerry as a man, a family patriarch, a football owner, a business man, and as a contributor to the NFL.

I hate Jerry, however, as a General Manager.
I wish he wasn't GM either.

Never have liked that. It's is a massive blind spot.

But this offseason, the GM would get an A or A+ grade.
If you compare Dallas' offseason to the other 31 teams, you'll be hard-pressed to find a team that has done better in the main phases
  • Coaching hires,
  • Draft,
  • FA acquisition,
  • Cap management

But there've been many years that was not the case in his tenure.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Marketing Genius for sure.

No business savvy person would ever dream of debating that
What fan really cares about our popularity or revenue without success on the field ?

Those type of bragging rights are only pertinent with success on the field and how it all originated initially.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score

If you compare Dallas' offseason to the other 31 teams, you'll be hard-pressed to find a team that has done better in the main phases
  • Coaching hires,
  • Draft,
  • FA acquisition,
  • Cap management

Ultimately the results in January and beyond will be the final measurement.

The toxic culture with Jethro’s football Mgmt style has been a distraction and obstacle his entire era. Only when Jimmy amassed the most talented team in Cowboys history was it enough to overcome Jethro’s selfish narcissistic foolishness.

DFWJC

Reaction score
What fan really cares about our popularity or revenue without success on the field ?

Those type of bragging rights aren’t only pertinent with success on the field and how it all originated initially.
Agree
Not sure fans really do care. Just stating the facts; the man is a marketing genius.

Every NFL owner out there will tell you he has done more for the league's growth as a whole than almost anyone else these past 30 years.
It's why he got into the Hall of Fame.

But that is Jerry the OWNER and businessman
Not Jerry the GM

The Cowboys were in not in good shape when he bought them, btw.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Agree
Not sure fans really do care. Just stating the facts; the man is a marketing genius.

Every NFL owner out there will tell you he has done more for the league's growth as a whole than almost anyone else these past 30 years.
It's why he got into the Hall of Fame.

But that is Jerry the OWNER and businessman
Not Jerry the GM

The Cowboys were in not in good shape when he bought them, btw.
Unfortunately Jethro the owner and GM are wrapped together . If he continues as owner with him as GM then he’s a crappy owner. There’s not a more important hire than his VP and GM which he’s failed miserably at both which has resulted in questionable coaching hires over the years, etc.

Cowboys have become like many of the biggest or most popular Iconic labels in this country which aren’t the best products from McDonalds to Budweiser.

Jethro’s business genius has basically optimized an Iconic label while deteriorating the product. Typical American ingenuity. Booooooooo!!!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unfortunately Jethro the owner and GM are wrapped together . If he continues as owner with him as GM then he’s a crappy owner. There’s not a more important hire than his VP and GM which he’s failed miserably at both which has resulted in questionable coaching hires over the years, etc.

Cowboys have become like many of the biggest or most popular Iconic labels in this country which aren’t the best products from McDonalds to Budweiser.

Jethro’s business genius has basically optimized an Iconic label while deteriorating the product. Typical American ingenuity. Booooooooo!!!
Not arguing most of this.

Here's my question for those that seem to really hate Jerry:
if Dallas makes the NFC title game of dare we say, makes it or wins the Super Bowl, do you give him credit as easily as many have taken it away from him regarding the 3 early titles?

Last edited:

MikeB80

Reaction score
so far jerry is reminiscing about oxnard and highway 1

I just typed out Jerry's interview word for word while listening to it.

Then I hit reply and I got a notice that it was spam and can not be posted here.

So I will never take the time to do that again.

He did point out though that 58 and 98 look great and called crawford a bad boy you want on your side.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not arguing most of this.

Here's my question for those that seem to really hate Jerry:
if Dallas makes the NFC title game of dare we say, makes it or wins the Super Bowl, do you give him credit as easily as many have taken it away from him regarding the 3 early titles?
We see it as though he’s a component we must tolerate. It’s like I’ve often used as an analogy is we don’t have to approve of every owner of a business we patronize.

As far as credit, much like with Jimmy, we gave him credit for hiring the right guy and providing him the tools he needed. And we’d do the same with McCarthy. But it doesn’t excuse the futility for last 25 years.

Remember it’s not personal , just business. We hate the way he runs Cowboys Football. We’d tolerate Jethro as owner if he’d just get totally out of the way.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gave up trying to be overly optimistic about this franchise, 20+ years of mediocrity does that to me.

Jimmy was the brains behind creating the early nineties Super Bowl teams; however, without Jerry that would never have happened.

Jerry: 3 Super Bowl Wins in 30 years

Landry: 2 Super Bowl Wins in 29 years...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
so far jerry is reminiscing about oxnard and highway 1

I just typed out Jerry's interview word for word while listening to it.

Then I hit reply and I got a notice that it was spam and can not be posted here.

So I will never take the time to do that again.

He did point out though that 58 and 98 look great and called crawford a bad boy you want on your side.

Jerry has been minimally involved in football operations for a few years now.
- He'll always play it up for the camera or radio microphones, but Stephen Jones in now in complete control of the football operations.

SJ was already negotiating all contracts, managing the cap, making all trades and managing the draft strategy.
- His final issue to was push his red-headed step-brother out the door.
- McCarthy always mentions both SJ and Jerry, but it's obvious that SJ decided to hire McCarty and then primed McCarty on what to say to Jerry to make certain that Jerry didn't disrupt SJ's plans.
- All of SJ, McCarthy and Will McClay have obviously rehearsed always mentioning Jerry during interviews, which is not uncommon with GMs/HCs and owners.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guess we have different views on what constitutes a genius.

Are you different from every other fan of every other team that is where you are right now? So are all the other owners and GM's geniuses? Or do you need to consider the owner/GM to be a genius in order to buy into his BS every year?

I was a fan a long time ago and never considered Murchison, Schramm or Bright geniuses and sure as hell do not consider Booger a genius.

kskboys

Reaction score
Jimmy was the brains behind creating the early nineties Super Bowl teams; however, without Jerry that would never have happened.

Jerry: Super bowl contender for 4 of those 30.

Landry: Super bowl contender for around 20 of those 29 years!!!!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry: Super bowl contender for 4 of those 30.

Landry: Super bowl contender for around 20 of those 29 years!!!!

Early nineties Buffalo Bills or or early nineties Dallas Cowboys...

Valkyr

Reaction score
I was watching one of those NFL Network 'Caught in a Draft' shows, and they had Jerry up there saying they are going into the draft looking for backups and special teamers.

I wanted to puke.

MikeB80

Reaction score
Jerry has been minimally involved in football operations for a few years now.
- He'll always play it up for the camera or radio microphones, but Stephen Jones in now in complete control of the football operations.

SJ was already negotiating all contracts, managing the cap, making all trades and managing the draft strategy.
- His final issue to was push his red-headed step-brother out the door.
- McCarthy always mentions both SJ and Jerry, but it's obvious that SJ decided to hire McCarty and then primed McCarty on what to say to Jerry to make certain that Jerry didn't disrupt SJ's plans.
- All of SJ, McCarthy and Will McClay have obviously rehearsed always mentioning Jerry during interviews, which is not uncommon with GMs/HCs and owners.

What does this have to do with what I posted?

for the record Todd Williams has a big hand in the cap too.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• Coaching hires,
  • Draft,
  • FA acquisition,
  • Cap management

Those are good points and I don’t disagree that we had a good offseason- on paper. But how can we grade any GM, player or coach until the end of a season to see how we performed? How are we going to feel about this offseason if we go 8-8 again? Shouldn’t we base our praise or criticism of Jerry, the coaches, or the players on the results they get on the field?

My judgement about any offseason doesn’t happen until the season’s over. I don’t believe in preseason rankings, draft grades before a draft pick has played, or patting a player on the back because of their potential. The great Darrell Royal famously once said, “Potential just means he ain’t done it yet.”

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I love Jerry Jones. That’s not something you hear all the time, but I have to say it again. In fact I think I say it every August/September. Just hold on though, because before January I’ll probably hate him again. This is what makes Jerry a genius. Every year regardless of how much they let me down, by the time August comes around I’m reading every Cowboys article or blog on the Internet. I’m listening to Cowboys non stop on the Radio.com app. I’m finding every podcast (good and bad) that’s out there who mentions the Cowboys. And usually, I’m trying to determine what games I can go to closest to the PNW. As much as I hated the players, the coaches, SJ, Willy, and even JJ just 8 months ago, I once again have the belief that they are going to make me happy for a few months at the end of this year. For now, the faith has returned. And holy crap, during this horrible 2020, I could really use the Cowboys being competitors, in my life right now.

So I’ll give my apologies right now for all the things I might say in the game threads, and I’ll ask forgiveness from everyone I’ve made mad during this past offseason. Even though we all have different ways of expressing it, I know deep down almost everyone here loves the Cowboys, and I hope you know that I do as well. We can credit everything that has happened both good and bad for the past 25 years to the Genius Jerry Jones.

Silly Jerry.
He bought the Cowboys for $144 million and now the team is worth $5 Billion.
Stupid could have paid $143 million!!!!!:laugh:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That’s a pretty weak comparison. Jerry’s greatest contribution to tthe 90s success was hiring Jimmy and being willing to take some risks.

And now he’s had 0 SBs in 25 years. That’s indefensible. Jerry bought the most indestructible brand in pro sports, and while he did improve its fortunes, it’s not like he bought the Browns. Every year that goes by without even a divisional playoff win proves how little Jerry knows about football. He knows how to make money. But building a winner? His results the last qtr century speak loud and clear.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
If I could get away with changing my username to "Jerrysucksass" I would do it in an instant.

Big_D

Reaction score

This is sad. Comparing Jerry Jones to one of the most influential and innovative coaches in football history. After Jimmy walked out the door it was one horrendous decision after another. Poor management until a once great team was a pathetic shell of itself. He was a clueless buffoon who had a minimal impact on Jimmys team and those 3 championships. You even saw it after Parcells left. If managed competently that team could've made some noise. Nope. Within 3 years, pure crap!