The Genius of Jerruh

cowboyed

Reaction score
th

Jeez Jerry looks like komodo dragon face in that picture.
I also love the guy as an NFL team owner and visionary, as a person and I think of him as a business prodigy. But please Jerry upgrade your GM position.

75boyz

Reaction score
Those are good points and I don’t disagree that we had a good offseason- on paper. But how can we grade any GM, player or coach until the end of a season to see how we performed? How are we going to feel about this offseason if we go 8-8 again? Shouldn’t we base our praise or criticism of Jerry, the coaches, or the players on the results they get on the field?

My judgement about any offseason doesn’t happen until the season’s over. I don’t believe in preseason rankings, draft grades before a draft pick has played, or patting a player on the back because of their potential. The great Darrell Royal famously once said, “Potential just means he ain’t done it yet.”

These incremental improvements in player acquisition thru FA or drafting and cap management are the ultimate source for hope of today's fan base.
With that being said, bottom line enthusiasts like you or I expect more to be reflected on the field through wins and contending for championships.
A large majority sees a great changing of the guard just not made public. I still see an egomaniacal credit addict billionaire who has the final say.

Like you, I continue to wait on all these yearly supposed changes to carry over towards trophy case additions.

Call me cynic, skeptic, pessimist or hater...

Just prove me wrong with a SB win.

Just one more.

Go Cowboys

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
These incremental improvements in player acquisition thru FA or drafting and cap management are the ultimate source for hope of today's fan base.
With that being said, bottom line enthusiasts like you or I expect more to be reflected on the field through wins and contending for championships.
A large majority sees a great changing of the guard just not made public. I still see an egomaniacal credit addict billionaire who has the final say.

Like you, I continue to wait on all these yearly supposed changes to carry over towards trophy case additions.

Call me cynic, skeptic, pessimist or hater...

Just prove me wrong with a SB win.

Just one more.

Go Cowboys
And to me...I don’t care if Jerry, Stephen, Charlotte, or Spaulding is in charge. Just win something. Lay off the constant sales pitch and drivel...just win some freakin’ playoff games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jeez Jerry looks like komodo dragon face in that picture.
I also love the guy as an NFL team owner and visionary, as a person and I think of him as a business prodigy. But please Jerry upgrade your GM position.
Can’t separate one from the other. It’s like saying a guy is a great provider but crappy husband. In the end the money isn’t enough for happiness.

And Jerry’s vision was all about placing himself in position that his lack of success on the field wouldn’t impact his success off the field so he wouldn’t be forced to change his ways.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The ironic thing is, with all Jerry’s money, clout, and spotlight hogging fame, he will never be able to buy the respect as a “football man” he so desperately craves. It’s like watching a rich kid in high school trying to buy his way to being cool.

Yeah, Jerry has had huge monetary success as the owner of the Cowboys. Even got in the HOF for his contributions to transforming the NFL from a financially successful club for millionaires to bulletproof business model for billionaires. But he can never be what he craves most- “A football guy”. And deep down, he knows it.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I love Jerry Jones. That’s not something you hear all the time, but I have to say it again. In fact I think I say it every August/September. Just hold on though, because before January I’ll probably hate him again. This is what makes Jerry a genius. Every year regardless of how much they let me down, by the time August comes around I’m reading every Cowboys article or blog on the Internet. I’m listening to Cowboys non stop on the Radio.com app. I’m finding every podcast (good and bad) that’s out there who mentions the Cowboys. And usually, I’m trying to determine what games I can go to closest to the PNW. As much as I hated the players, the coaches, SJ, Willy, and even JJ just 8 months ago, I once again have the belief that they are going to make me happy for a few months at the end of this year. For now, the faith has returned. And holy crap, during this horrible 2020, I could really use the Cowboys being competitors, in my life right now.

So I’ll give my apologies right now for all the things I might say in the game threads, and I’ll ask forgiveness from everyone I’ve made mad during this past offseason. Even though we all have different ways of expressing it, I know deep down almost everyone here loves the Cowboys, and I hope you know that I do as well. We can credit everything that has happened both good and bad for the past 25 years to the Genius Jerry Jones.
Uhhh, bro. We're still waiting for the good........

BTW....Genius and jerry, in the context of the Cowboys, can't be in the same stratosphere. Much less a sentence.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is sad. Comparing Jerry Jones to one of the most influential and innovative coaches in football history. After Jimmy walked out the door it was one horrendous decision after another. Poor management until a once great team was a pathetic shell of itself. He was a clueless buffoon who had a minimal impact on Jimmys team and those 3 championships. You even saw it after Parcells left. If managed competently that team could've made some noise. Nope. Within 3 years, pure crap!
No Jimmy without Jerry.

3 Super Bowl WINs...

aria

Reaction score
Jimmy was the brains behind creating the early nineties Super Bowl teams; however, without Jerry that would never have happened.

Jerry: 3 Super Bowl Wins in 30 years

Landry: 2 Super Bowl Wins in 29 years...
Great. Blind squirrel = nut.

No salary cap = no Super Bowls

No Jimmy Johnson = no Super Bowls

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Jerry Jones. That’s not something you hear all the time, but I have to say it again. In fact I think I say it every August/September. Just hold on though, because before January I’ll probably hate him again. This is what makes Jerry a genius. Every year regardless of how much they let me down, by the time August comes around I’m reading every Cowboys article or blog on the Internet. I’m listening to Cowboys non stop on the Radio.com app. I’m finding every podcast (good and bad) that’s out there who mentions the Cowboys. And usually, I’m trying to determine what games I can go to closest to the PNW. As much as I hated the players, the coaches, SJ, Willy, and even JJ just 8 months ago, I once again have the belief that they are going to make me happy for a few months at the end of this year. For now, the faith has returned. And holy crap, during this horrible 2020, I could really use the Cowboys being competitors, in my life right now.

So I’ll give my apologies right now for all the things I might say in the game threads, and I’ll ask forgiveness from everyone I’ve made mad during this past offseason. Even though we all have different ways of expressing it, I know deep down almost everyone here loves the Cowboys, and I hope you know that I do as well. We can credit everything that has happened both good and bad for the past 25 years to the Genius Jerry Jones.

Jerry has 3 SUPERBOWL trophies...very few owners can reach this level of glory.
The problems start and end when he took full control in 1995 as GM.
Great salesman, terrible football guy....25 years of misery do we need to say anything more???

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
I love Jerry as a man, a family patriarch, a football owner, a business man, and as a contributor to the NFL.

I hate Jerry, however, as a General Manager.

This sums it up. He stole years of our lives, and his players’ lives when he: hired Dave Campo, hired Chan Gailey and worst of all keeping Jason Garrett around all those years.

Hope springs eternal with Mike McCarthy but still least unlike those 3, he has a proven track record and won a Super Bowl as head coach.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The fact McCarthy has won a SB odds are even greater that he won’t repeat that with Dallas as no HC in NFL history has ever accomplished. And that includes some great names.

Head Coaches with SB pedigree do have a strong record of rebuilding franchises much like Parcells did here and in New York and New England while coming up short in winning another Super Bowl.

Flamma

Reaction score
The fact McCarthy has won a SB odds are even greater that he won’t repeat that with Dallas as no HC in NFL history has ever accomplished. And that includes some great names.

Head Coaches with SB pedigree do have a strong record of rebuilding franchises much like Parcells did here and in New York and New England while coming up short in winning another Super Bowl.

Completely coincidental. No quarterback did it until 2015. It's hard to win a SB to begin with, let alone win one, then another with a completely different organization.

Just saying, the fact a coach won a SB with a different team doesn't give him a lesser chance with Dallas than a coach that never won based on that fact alone. It's just a coincidental statistic largely based on a lack of opportunities.

Flamma

Reaction score
Speaking of Jerry's genius, what is he doing with our DBs? He's got several going into the last year of their contract with no extension. Does he plan on letting them walk? Or is he waiting for them to break out so he can't afford to keep them under the cap? Has genius been redefined?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Completely coincidental. No quarterback did it until 2015. It's hard to win a SB to begin with, let alone win one, then another with a completely different organization.

Just saying, the fact a coach won a SB with a different team doesn't give him a lesser chance with Dallas than a coach that never won based on that fact alone. It's just a coincidental statistic largely based on a lack of opportunities.
It may happen someday but until it does , a noteworthy statistic.

Flamma

Reaction score
It may happen someday but until it does , a noteworthy statistic.

To me it isn't. It's as noteworthy as me flipping a coin at exactly midnight during a lightning storm and it keeps coming up tails.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To me it isn't. It's as noteworthy as me flipping a coin at exactly midnight during a lightning storm and it keeps coming up tails.
I suppose you don’t like the stat cause it doesn’t support your viewpoint.

Flamma

Reaction score
I suppose you don’t like the stat cause it doesn’t support your viewpoint.

I don't like the stat because it's coincidental and not based on anything real. If that stat had any basis in reality we wouldn't hire that coach. Sort of like, no rushing leader ever went to a super bowl. Bill Parcells didn't have a team good enough to beat the Packers. Same goes for Dick Vermeil. Them losing had nothing to do with the fact they won one. Simple coincidence, not at all noteworthy. It's just something that is really hard to do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't like the stat because it's coincidental and not based on anything real. If that stat had any basis in reality we wouldn't hire that coach. Sort of like, no rushing leader ever went to a super bowl. Bill Parcells didn't have a team good enough to beat the Packers. Same goes for Dick Vermeil. Them losing had nothing to do with the fact they won one. Simple coincidence, not at all noteworthy. It's just something that is really hard to do.
I do agree that none had enough talent to repeat the feat and ultimately what it comes down to , the talent.

Coaching is over rated except in that they influence assembling the talent. If it was scheme that won championships this stat wouldn’t exist.

We’ve seen some of the greatest coaching humbled without the talent. It’s almost always about the talent.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I do agree that none had enough talent to repeat the feat and ultimately what it comes down to , the talent.

Coaching is over rated except in that they influence assembling the talent. If it was scheme that won championships this stat wouldn’t exist.

We’ve seen some of the greatest coaching humbled without the talent. It’s almost always about the talent.

It is about the talent. Some coaches are just better at organizing and acquiring talent. But in the end it is talent.