The Grammar Police Thread

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2875805 said:
Well, I can't lie...your spelling is pretty bad at times, I would be with you but I have kind of taken the spell checker in firefox as my best friend on the board.:laugh2:

Even with the spell checker it is easy to screw things up on here. Sometimes you just wind up thinking to fast and not paying attention as you are typing or some other innocent mistake.

It really does not bother me much unless it is something where someone is posting in all texting style or something along those lines.

in the spirit of this thread.............( i know it was just a typo) i couldn't resist.
i apologize now for the fact that i don't capitalize and i ain't fixin to start doing it ya'll. ( which i have been told is not proper anyways ).

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
poke;2875907 said:
in the spirit of this thread.............( i know it was just a typo) i couldn't resist.
i apologize now for the fact that i don't capitalize and i ain't fixin to start doing it ya'll. ( which i have been told is not proper anyways ).

Hey Poke.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2875807 said:
However I don't even know what you mean by Bidded. Not sure I have heard or read that one.

I can only guess some use it as a past tense of bid or bidding on an item but I could be way off as I have never seen or heard that one.:(

Yea, "bidded" rears it's ugly head when you're playing a card game like spades or hearts.

Inevitably, some walking meat stick will say something like "I don't know how I got set on that hand, I only bidded 4!?"

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Hos it must really make you cringe to read Leotis or Pittman4two....diet tribe. LMAO

I have several relatives that say warsh when talking about doing laundy. "I'm going to warsh my clothes." Drives me nuts.

They will also say, "I'm going to go to the Wal Marts". I'm always making fun of them.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;2875960 said:
Hos it must really make you cringe to read Leotis or Pittman4two....diet tribe. LMAO

I have several relatives that say warsh when talking about doing laundy. "I'm going to warsh my clothes." Drives me nuts.

They will also say, "I'm going to go to the Wal Marts". I'm always making fun of them.

for some reason, my ex-boss says "Walmark" (with a k) and "twiced" (with a d)

never heard that before her

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Here's another that drives me nuts.

It's "Happy New Year" and "New Year's Eve/Day". Your not wishing someone a happy multiple of years.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Hate the loose thing as well. Hate when people use the wrong version of a word (their instead of there, etc. Though admittedly in a hurry I do this at time by mistake).

I hate when people say warsh or Warshington.
I hate when people call a sub woofer a sub wolfer and they call wolves wooves.
I hate more than anything people who say Missouruh instead of Missouri. Stupid Missouruhans.
Hate when people say Cue-pons instead of koo-pons.
I know some of those are how people talk and now type, but it still bugs me.

Surprised that Hos didn't mention people using Irving when talking about Michael, or Irvin when talking about the city.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
masomenos85;2875822 said:
I have a friend who always says 'Pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. Every time she says it, I ask "As opposed to Atlantically?" and she never, never understands why.

:)

My wife does that but she has problems with a lot of words since she had a speech impediment when she was a child that her parents never really took the time to help her with.

She says breakfix, and stanima too.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Since were getting all Englishy in this thread, I'd like to point something out.

While people constantly made fun of Bush for saying 'nuke-u-lar", he wasn't exactly wrong. The Oxford English Dictionary accepts that pronunciation both as a regional variant and as a word derived from slang. If it's good enough for the OED, then it should be good enough for Keith Olbermann.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2876013 said:
Hate the loose thing as well. Hate when people use the wrong version of a word (their instead of there, etc. Though admittedly in a hurry I do this at time by mistake).

I hate when people say warsh or Warshington.
I hate more than anything people who say Missouruh instead of Missouri. Stupid Missouruhans.
I know some of those are how people talk and now type, but it still bugs me.

Surprised that Hos didn't mention people using Irving when talking about Michael, or Irvin when talking about the city.
I did. Look at the very first post.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I've never heard Starback before but I don't think its incorrect.:D

Better than saying Roger Starbucks.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Aikbach;2876043 said:
I've never heard Starback before but I don't think its incorrect.:D

Better than saying Roger Starbucks.

I hear he makes great coffee

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
xWraithx;2875984 said:
for some reason, my ex-boss says "Walmark" (with a k) and "twiced" (with a d)

never heard that before her

my mom , who is from alabama, does the exact same thing with those words.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2876016 said:
My wife does that but she has problems with a lot of words since she had a speech impediment when she was a child that her parents never really took the time to help her with.

I can relate.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2876016 said:

As a kid, I used to say mazagine.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I knew someone would post something that would remind me of more.

It is not alot. It is a lot. Two words not one.

It also gets me when people use it's for possession of something, or belonging to it. It doesn't show possession. It's means it is. So this is wrong. The monster wanted it's meal. That says the monster wanted it is meal. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I have a friend who butchers Spanish and English together. She thinks she speaks Spanish wonderfully. She doesn't. She can't resist though. She has to say certain things in Spanish. I speak Spanish really well and I resist the urge to simply start talking Spanish with her because it would go right over her head and I know it. Chief would love this lady. Talk about butchering Spanish names. She's a master at it.

Undisputed

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;2876013 said:

I laughed out loud for some reason. "wooooves"...:laugh2:

Now I feel like a fool. :D Apparently I'm like Stewie.

http://img223.*************/img223/5735/coolwhip002.jpg

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;2876102 said:
It also gets me when people use it's for possession of something, or belonging to it. It doesn't show possession. It's means it is. So this is wrong. The monster wanted it's meal. That says the monster wanted it is meal. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Eww, that's a good 1, it always throws me. I bet I get it wrong half the time.