The Grammar Police Thread

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
1) The appropriate phrasing is "I couldn't care less," not "I could care less." If you are capable of caring less, you care on some level.

2) Could of, would of, and should of are all incorrect. The correct spellings are could've, would've, and should've. These are contractions for could have, would have, and should have.

3) The correct contracted form of you all is y'all, not ya'll.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Or the crowd sure is quite

Quite what?

Oh you mean quiet as in not making any noise

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;2875612 said:
1) The appropriate phrasing is "I couldn't care less," not "I could care less." If you are capable of caring less, you care on some level.

2) Could of, would of, and should of are all incorrect. The correct spellings are could've, would've, and should've. These are contractions for could have, would have, and should have.
Sometimes I will say, "I could care less, but I honestly don't know how."

This thread is reviving my spirits. :laugh2:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I just remembered one that happens all the time.

This team will be dominate. No, this team will be dominant. Turn it around. We are going to dominant them? No, we are going to dominate them.

Not interchangeable.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2875622 said:
Sometimes I will say, "I could care less, but I honestly don't know how."

This thread is reviving my spirits. :laugh2:

:laugh1:

Reminds me of a George Carlin line, years since I heard it so it could be wrong.

When he is talking about people saying how are you doing today or have a nice day.

Said something like...if someone says how are you doing today sometimes I will say, well I am not unwell which takes them a few minutes to figure out.:laugh2:

Or if someone says, Have a nice day to which he said sometimes he thinks about saying...NO, I have had 99 nice days in a row and I am ready for a crappy one.

jem88

Reaction score
People saying things like 'should have went' bothers me (or even worse: 'should of went'.)

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2875419 said:
You're welcome, not your welcome. Your indicates possession like your toys. You don't own welcome.

I think Buehler would disagree with you there

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Somewhere along the line, our society switched from overusing "me" to overusing "I."

In the past, people would say:

"You and me should go to the store" (incorrect) and "That's a great idea for you and me" (correct)

Now people tend to use:

"You and I should go to the store" (correct) and "That's a great idea for you and I" (incorrect)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
What the hell is up with ABQ? I mean, seriously, have you read some of his posts? No kidding, the guy is beyond help. I honestly believe that spell check was probably created for him but the guy seems to have no concept of it. It's like watching a kid fall over, time after time, on a bike because he doesn't know enough to put on the training wheels. It's madness I tell you!

Makes me question the reasoning his parents must have had behind keeping this one.

:)

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;2875752 said:
What the hell is up with ABQ? I mean, seriously, have you read some of his posts? No kidding, the guy is beyond help. I honestly believe that spell check was probably created for him but the guy seems to have no concept of it. It's like watching a kid fall over, time after time, on a bike because he doesn't know enough to put on the training wheels. It's madness I tell you!

Makes me question the reasoning his parents must have had behind keeping this one.

Well, I can't lie...your spelling is pretty bad at times, I would be with you but I have kind of taken the spell checker in firefox as my best friend on the board.:laugh2:

Even with the spell checker it is easy to screw things up on here. Sometimes you just wind up thinking to fast and not paying attention as you are typing or some other innocent mistake.

It really does not bother me much unless it is something where someone is posting in all texting style or something along those lines.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DallasCowpoke;2875723 said:
There are no such words as ANYWAYS or BIDDED!!

I have been guilty of the anyways...but try to catch myself.:D

However I don't even know what you mean by Bidded. Not sure I have heard or read that one.

I can only guess some use it as a past tense of bid or bidding on an item but I could be way off as I have never seen or heard that one.:(

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
I have a friend who always says 'Pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. Every time she says it, I ask "As opposed to Atlantically?" and she never, never understands why.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;2875807 said:
I have been guilty of the anyways...but try to catch myself.:D

However I don't even know what you mean by Bidded. Not sure I have heard or read that one.

I can only guess some use it as a past tense of bid or bidding on an item but I could be way off as I have never seen or heard that one.:(

It's true. I'm horrid. I know you guys know. I know too.

:laugh2:

I use Firefox but the spell check feature does not work. It's a firewall thing.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2875723 said:
There are no such words as ANYWAYS or BIDDED!!
There's also no such word as irregardless. Think about it. The word is regardless. At no time does it need the added IR to make it correct.

One of my local buddies, a Bears fan, misuses tract constantly.

He will say, "I've got to keep tract of all the stats." No, he's got to keep track of all the stats.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
masomenos85;2875822 said:
I have a friend who always says 'Pacifically' instead of 'specifically'. Every time she says it, I ask "As opposed to Atlantically?" and she never, never understands why.

Best post in the thread.

:laugh2:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Hostile;2875847 said:
There's also no such word as irregardless. Think about it. The word is regardless. At no time does it need the added IR to make it correct.

One of my local buddies, a Bears fan, misuses tract constantly.

He will say, "I've got to keep tract of all the stats." No, he's got to keep track of all the stats.

Maybe he's trying to get you to install some lights