The Grammar Police Thread

Achozen

Sounds From The Lair
Reaction score
I hate when the thread title has every word capitalized.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
AmarilloCowboyFan;2875960 said:
I have several relatives that say warsh when talking about doing laundy. "I'm going to warsh my clothes." Drives me nuts.

This one reminded me of a friend that lives in Iowa.

If it is singular, he uses the word wash. But if it is plural, he uses the word warsh.
He washes his car, but he warshes his clothes.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Achozen;2876205 said:
Proper according to who?
You are more than welcome to check the New York Times Manual of Style or The Chicago Manual of Style if you wish.

The first word of a Title and all nouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives in a title are to be capitalized. You can but are not required to capitalize all words. You can leave out definite and indefinite articles as well as conjunction words.

Ask any English Teacher and they will confirm this for you. I was an English Major and the Capitalization of the first letter in titles is known as majuscules and the other letters are miniscules and this forum or rule is known as Manuscript Form.

No, I did not look this up, but you are more than welcome to and see if I am full of crap or not.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I recently figured out that there is no apostrophe in "yours", I used to spell it "your's", like when I say "yours truly", I used to say "your's truly" and the like

I also hate the TV judges who don't use proper English, that chick on Divorce Court pisses me the hell off whenever she talks, you're freakin' educated, don't speak like you're with your home girls, speak properly!

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
How can you care when you dont capitalize or punctuate and what-not?

Its important to know as much of this mess as you can, I teach it to my kids, but adults correcting other adults is condescending and tacky.

hairic

Reaction score
Ellipsis abuse... it's like after every thought... they throw in an ellipsis...

It's... annoying...

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
hairic;2876395 said:

It's... annoying...

Oh, that's a good one!

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Though I've never seen anyone spell it this way....and don't hear it as much as I used to, so let's hope it's a passing phase:

"Aks me a question."

hairic

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2876541 said:
.....anyways.......:rolleyes: ........

That's another one.

There was no English word "anyways" a few years ago, it's "anyway".

Since it's been used so much recently, it's reached a colloquial level. Yet, it's not even an improvement on "anyway"; there's no change in definition, it's not a plural, and it takes extra tongue and finger energy to get it out. It's adoption has caused an all-around loss in human caloric wealth.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
hairic;2876559 said:
That's another one.

There was no English word "anyways" a few years ago, it's "anyway".

Since it's been used so much recently, it's reached a colloquial level. Yet, it's not even an improvement on "anyway"; there's no change in definition, it's not a plural, and it takes extra tongue and finger energy to get it out. It's adoption has caused an all-around loss in human caloric wealth.

I Guess You Didn't Realize It Was A Joke........:D

hairic

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2876571 said:
I Guess You Didn't Realize It Was A Joke........:D

I realized it was a joke (you already used it in the thread), I just wanted to have my turn to talk about it. ;)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is off-topic, but I dislike incorrect descriptions. One of my pet peeves is one involving someone's automobile. Here's an example of a conversation which gives me migraines:

Friend: "Hey! Let's jump in my car and go to the store!"

Me: "Dude! You drive a Chevy Silverado!"

:banghead:

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
hairic;2876395 said:

It's... annoying...

........guilty as charged.......

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Hostile;2876037 said:
I did. Look at the very first post.

That you did, my bad. "My bad," is another phrase I'm not fond of. Ignore the fact that I just used it.