The Great Dakbate

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. I'm excited about Dak but he has to show he can learn from mistakes and correct those mistakes. I think year 3 is a critical year for Dak as I think it will define him as a QB in the NFL.
As soon as I get excited, I'm gonna be excited!!!!

Reaction score
Dak was really good the first half of last season and really bad the second half. But the whole team was bad the second half of the season, and had the defense not fallen apart without Sean Lee in 2 or 3 games where Dak and the offense gave them 30+ points and they still lost, the team would've made the playoffs despite those issues.

2018 is the year we find out if Dak is the guy going forward. I personally think he is the guy, but he and the team need to have a good season.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It's not that Dak can't throw the drop ball. We have seen in with Dez in preseason and Butler often this past season. The issue is play calling was like when Weeden and Cassell were the QBs. Romo was a vet and could make those adjustments, Dak is still under a different play call.

I expect some of that too change this season. Jerry talked about it

Well if Jerry said it ...

Just messing. I hope you're right. I followed Russell Wilson from the very beginning and I knew he'd be a good QB vs. the "just a running QB" label most tried to place on him in part because he could throw the deep ball. And his offensive lines have never been a thing of beauty either. Conversely when people talked up Vince Young after almost leading the Titans to the playoffs his rookie season, I noticed him overthrowing people deep and had my doubts. It's not an end-all, be-all marker but I think it's an important one.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I never really understood how a lot of the fanbase jumped on dak after having a great 1st season.

I've never seen Romo get that much crap even on his biggest choke job and worse season. Dak might have struggled his 2nd season but he still gave us 9 wins and a chance at the end with down olinemen, bad coaching, and a #1 providing #2-3 wr results.

Cassel and weeden never got that kind of treatment and they were terribad.

That's why I believe it is kind of personal feelings for some fans regardless if they wanna hide behind that 2nd season excuse or not.
you listed a bunch of excuses for Dak's bad second year performance...but didn't do the same for Romo.... Dak last year still had a lot more than Romo in his second year...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak was really good the first half of last season and really bad the second half. But the whole team was bad the second half of the season, and had the defense not fallen apart without Sean Lee in 2 or 3 games where Dak and the offense gave them 30+ points and they still lost, the team would've made the playoffs despite those issues.

2018 is the year we find out if Dak is the guy going forward. I personally think he is the guy, but he and the team need to have a good season.
Dak has been good with Zeke in the lineup...pretty average without him. the question is how will another QB do with Zeke....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If you look at all INTs in 2017 and take out the ones where the ball bounced off the WR and take out the desperation throws when they were down on the scoreboard late, then the number of INTs was much smaller. About half or more were in the categories above.

After that some of the remaining INTs were caused by WR mistakes or Dak getting hit as he threw the ball. I can specifically remember one where he got hit and the ball went up like a punt and one where Dez fell down.
why take those away? you are coming up with this little box to qualify our justification. why take away the bounces? some of them were bad throws where the receiver reached back and the ball bounced.... that's a bad throw. and those late game desperations..... why were we in a desperate mode? and if we are mounting a come back, then he has to make plays, not interceptions.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Wha??????? Another Dak thread? Yep but this one is neither fer him nor agin him. Ya see, I am stuck in the middle with Dak Prescott.

I do not get this pick a side with a young QB playing what is accepted as the toughest position in all sports. When his predecessor had two seasons under his belt, he had not started a regular season game. Rodgers carried a clipboard his first two seasons. How about Brees first two seasons?

What do rookie QB's usually do? Throw a lot of picks and he only has 17 to Wentz's 21 in the same number of seasons but Dak has 4 more games played. Yeah, he had 3x as many in his soph season but about the right amount for a rookie QB, which is what he was more of his second season than his first. He was a play executer his rookie season and asked to be a real QB his second with 6 games without his best weapon. He struggled, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he will this season.

No one here really knows the effect having a player like Bryant in his huddle for a young QB and they've admitted they were trying to force the ball to him early on in games. Romo discussed catch radius, where was Bryant's? Up. Think that is easy with a WR that is a jump ball player? Didn't Bryan's previous QB have struggles with him in the beginning?

And concerning how #1WR's can affect the QB, did the Cowboys not release a WR going into the HOF to make the team more "Romo friendly"? Hell, isn't having a HOF WR not QB friendly? Sure was for Aikman, Montana and Bradshaw.

I have seen enough good to give me optimism and enough not so good for concern but not enough of either to take a side yet. Certainly not to the point of we need to get him under a new contract or we need to get another QB. Considering the growth curve on NFL QB's and the first couple of seasons, what do we know? "Fire and rain" but not enough of either to make a call yet. Certainly not enough to argue over.

For all of the arguing and defending going on, I think there are a lot more posters in my "undecided" category than I've been seeing.
Yeah. I’d say my stance is cautiously optimistic.
Absolutely have not taken a side...unless me saying I want him succeed is a bias somehow.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wha??????? Another Dak thread? Yep but this one is neither fer him nor agin him. Ya see, I am stuck in the middle with Dak Prescott.

I do not get this pick a side with a young QB playing what is accepted as the toughest position in all sports. When his predecessor had two seasons under his belt, he had not started a regular season game. Rodgers carried a clipboard his first two seasons. How about Brees first two seasons?

What do rookie QB's usually do? Throw a lot of picks and he only has 17 to Wentz's 21 in the same number of seasons but Dak has 4 more games played. Yeah, he had 3x as many in his soph season but about the right amount for a rookie QB, which is what he was more of his second season than his first. He was a play executer his rookie season and asked to be a real QB his second with 6 games without his best weapon. He struggled, no doubt, but that doesn't mean he will this season.

No one here really knows the effect having a player like Bryant in his huddle for a young QB and they've admitted they were trying to force the ball to him early on in games. Romo discussed catch radius, where was Bryant's? Up. Think that is easy with a WR that is a jump ball player? Didn't Bryan's previous QB have struggles with him in the beginning?

And concerning how #1WR's can affect the QB, did the Cowboys not release a WR going into the HOF to make the team more "Romo friendly"? Hell, isn't having a HOF WR not QB friendly? Sure was for Aikman, Montana and Bradshaw.

I have seen enough good to give me optimism and enough not so good for concern but not enough of either to take a side yet. Certainly not to the point of we need to get him under a new contract or we need to get another QB. Considering the growth curve on NFL QB's and the first couple of seasons, what do we know? "Fire and rain" but not enough of either to make a call yet. Certainly not enough to argue over.

For all of the arguing and defending going on, I think there are a lot more posters in my "undecided" category than I've been seeing.

We should all be thanking our lucky starts that we landed Dak right after Romo. The kid has been amazing for his first two years. The only guys all tied up in a wad are the Romo cry babies. They might as well be Eagles fans. Its almost as dumb as someone trying to say that Zeke stinks. Laughable at best.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yeah. I’d say my stance is cautiously optimistic.
Absolutely have not taken a side...unless me saying I want him succeed is a bias somehow.

Ive decided. The kid is a stud. Its been obvious since preseason his rookie year and he has ONLY proved my confidence in him 10 fold over.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's not that Dak can't throw the drop ball. We have seen in with Dez in preseason and Butler often this past season. The issue is play calling was like when Weeden and Cassell were the QBs. Romo was a vet and could make those adjustments, Dak is still under a different play call.

I expect some of that too change this season. Jerry talked about it

Cmon.......the knock on Romo by his detractors was that he couldnt throw the deep ball and he had a noodle arm. I used to laugh in their face and show them clips of Romo tossing 70 yard TD's in the air.

The Dak hater clowns say Dak is inaccurate. Then I just post the article saying he is #1 in the NFL in tight window throws. Another dumb myth debunked by facts.

Verdict

Reaction score

HOF receiver? Is that Dez or Witten? Dez will probably not sniff the Hall of Fame. Witten will, but he was done 3 years ago.

Both Dez and Witten didn't do Dak any favors. Dez couldn't get open from a junior high corner for the last 3 years with us. We wasted cap dollars on him.

Witten couldn't run. About he could muster was a swift walk.

I don't know if these receivers as a group will be good or not, but I will say it will be very hard to be worse than what we had last year.

Verdict

Reaction score
Who cares how many other Dak threads there are. I always enjoy reading your posts Coach and having convo about it. So is so many threads because there is so much unknown right now. If he had been starting for 5 years already then there would only be 50 threads on him. And I would still reply to yours.

I'm all for starting 6 Dak threads simultaneously about the same thing. Whatever it takes to talk football. Plus invariably it gives me an opportunity to Dez bash which is always a good time.