The greatest coaching staff ever in Cowboys history; or did Jimmy just get lucky?

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Please do some research before you post this nonsense Tom Landry's coaching staff was not just assembled through a 30-year period take the '70s in the cowboys Hay Day

Mike ditka. Dan Reeves and Ernie Stautner these men not only one championships as players as coaches with the cowboys but went on to get to super bowls and European championships.

These men built their own great careers after they coached with the cowboys. What did Jimmy's coaches do after they left the cowboys.

Jimmy had a good coaching staff Yes but there was never better coaches assembled than what Tom Landry had

*Hay day?
*Dan Reeves never led a team to a Super Bowl victory as a HC.
*Tom Landry had sterling coaches throughout a 30-year period, as opposed to Jimmy's 5-year stint with the cowboys when he picked up 2 SB rings and could have had a third or fourth title.
*Jimmy's coaches' flops were well mentioned in me post, Percy.
*European championsios???? I am so impressed, old boy!:muttley:

Do your research before you start SNIVELING, Percy. Now go away, son, ya bother me.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I dont think Norv Turner was very good. Our offense was very limited and basic. Its just that people could rarely stop if because of our talent.

Never was a fan of Pizza Face.
Away from the Cowboys, Norvell failed many times before he knew what a failure he really was. Always a bridesmaid before he knew he was only at a quinceañera.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
landry was as much apart of building this team from nothing as tex and gil.
and jimmy didn't implode it...he already had michael irvin...nate newton...mark tuinei...kevin gogan...ken norton...bill bates...jim jeffcoat...kelvin martin...all landry cowboys who played major roles in the turn around.
plus herschel...
you're welcome.

A team that went 3-13 under a doddering and pig headed Landry was imploded over seasons to get to the glory days.

So Landry had all these studs and went 3-13 before he was ... Relieved, pastured, made irrelevant?
There was incremental implosion and Jimmy and staff worked hard at it and Landry pouted all those years.
Herschel was part of the implosion in case you missed it, big boy.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
What does East Carolina have to do with anything? Very oddly specific mention

When Jimmy came on board some forgotten nobody who probably died with egg on h Jimmy s face, remarked that Jimmy would no longer be facing the eastern Carolinas of the football world as he d Jimmy d in Miama.
It was an arrogant remark to caution jimmy on how tough and different the NFL was, not understanding that some SEC area teams were tougher than some NFL patssys
were.
Jimmy showed them.

JBond

Reaction score
Me good lads, friends of Edgar Buchanon, failed contractor and roofing adjustors:

I pose to you, the unwashed and hungry for my analysis, a question.
What in your mind is the greatst Cowboys coaching staff?

Some from the middle last century might say Landry, Ernie Stoutner,
Dick Nolan, Raymond Berry, Dan Reeves, Gene Stallings, Mike Ditka, and John Mackovic was the greatest assemblage of coaching talent, and I might agree. (But this gathering was done over 30 years; Jimmy did his thing in 5 years.)

But then came Jimmy, ridiculed that he wouldn't be playing the Eastern Carolinas of the world anymore, he didn't know NFL workings, etc. ad nauseum. Even made fun of his helmet-like hair. Blimey!
But Jimmy made them eat their words and assembled, as it seems in me crowded, echo-y mind, the greatest tight-knit coaching staff in our history in 1993.
Look at this list from 1993, lads and solar panel grifters, the coaching greatness we shant see again in our lifetimes.
Or am I just romanticizing this era?
*As gleaned from Wilipedia:
Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

Strength and conditioning

Is this a list of assistant coaching rock stars or not?

Holla and brings me a dollar.
Leadership combined with preparation and opportunity can make a great thing happen.

ESisback

Reaction score
Me good lads, friends of Edgar Buchanon, failed contractor and roofing adjustors:

Dick Nolan, Raymond Berry, Dan Reeves, Gene Stallings, Mike Ditka, and John Mackovic was the greatest assemblage of coaching talent, and I might agree. (But this gathering was done over 30 years; Jimmy did his thing in 5 years.)

But then came Jimmy, ridiculed that he wouldn't be playing the Eastern Carolinas of the world anymore, he didn't know NFL workings, etc. ad nauseum. Even made fun of his helmet-like hair. Blimey!
But Jimmy made them eat their words and assembled, as it seems in me crowded, echo-y mind, the greatest tight-knit coaching staff in our history in 1993.
Look at this list from 1993, lads and solar panel grifters, the coaching greatness we shant see again in our lifetimes.
Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

I’d say they’re both great, and I can’t really pick one over the other. Landry’s staff sustained greatness over a longer period, and was the foundation of “America’s Team”. Jimmy’s staff did it quicker, but in my mind was aided by the “perfect storm”, the Herschel Walker trade. That triggered the dominos, IMHO.

plymkr

Reaction score

Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

I think Jimmy had an eye for talent and was good at accumulating talent in players and coaches. And you're right Dave Wannstedt needs to be on this list.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think Jimmy had an eye for talent and was good at accumulating talent in players and coaches. And you're right Dave Wannstedt needs to be on this list.

The biggest point though is Landry had several assistants go HC other teams and win and Start thier own coaching trees...Jimmy didnt', not a totally fair eveal but it is true.

75boyz

Reaction score
The biggest point though is Landry had several assistants go HC other teams and win and Start thier own coaching trees...Jimmy didnt', not a totally fair eveal but it is true.

Yeah, I must be missing the point as well. Unless the whole premise of the OP is changed to the perfect storm of assistant coaches while in Dallas under Jimmy.

Because none of them did anything of note thereafter. Lots of under achieving/ not meeting expectations.

Other than under the Jimmy Cowboy tenure they were all a bunch of JAGS afterwards imo.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Yeah, I must be missing the point as well. Unless the whole premise of the OP is changed to the perfect storm of assistant coaches while in Dallas under Jimmy.

Because none of them did anything of note thereafter. Lots of under achieving/ not meeting expectations.

Other than under the Jimmy Cowboy tenure they were all a bunch of JAGS afterwards imo.

Don't over think it. Your raisin-like mind canna grasp the OP's intent, and tha is to say Jimmy by 1993 had assembled the best Cowboys coaching staff in the history of the Cowboys.
Tha is all, sugar boy, just a salute to coaches who made it work in Dallas.
Review your comeupance at your leisure.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I’d say they’re both great, and I can’t really pick one over the other. Landry’s staff sustained greatness over a longer period, and was the foundation of “America’s Team”. Jimmy’s staff did it quicker, but in my mind was aided by the “perfect storm”, the Herschel Walker trade. That triggered the dominos, IMHO.

Another good post.
:clap:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jimmy assembled the greatest Cowboys team in a short window with an abundance of top picks. We also only really had one maybe two serious opponents in our way in 49ers and Bills.

In prior eras we ran up against historically greater teams in Packers and Steelers or would have won more then.

The fact we went to 12 championship games in 17 years with 4 different QB’s is remarkable. A testament to Landry’s process. We had an opportunity to set marks like the Celtics and UCLA of that era never to be broken.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Don't over think it. Your raisin-like mind canna grasp the OP's intent, and tha is to say Jimmy by 1993 had assembled the best Cowboys coaching staff in the history of the Cowboys.
Tha is all, sugar boy, just a salute to coaches who made it work in Dallas.
Review your comeupance at your leisure.
I've never understood why your threads don't get immediately moved to the overtime zone. You post some nonsense in your fake British schtick and then insult everyone who responds with even a question. Holla and bring me a dolla right?

cowboyec

Reaction score
A team that went 3-13 under a doddering and pig headed Landry was imploded over seasons to get to the glory days.

So Landry had all these studs and went 3-13 before he was ... Relieved, pastured, made irrelevant?
There was incremental implosion and Jimmy and staff worked hard at it and Landry pouted all those years.
Herschel was part of the implosion in case you missed it, big boy.
never encounteted anyone who feels about coach landry the way you do.
weird.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I've never understood why your threads don't get immediately moved to the overtime zone. You post some nonsense in your fake British schtick and then insult everyone who responds with even a question. Holla and bring me a dolla right?

Have you always been an angry boy?
Kids-and-Anger-How-to-Help-Your-Little-Hot-Head-Find-Calm.png

An absent dad is no excuse because you could get attention at the Boys Club or Kitchen Explorers troop of the Boy Scouts.

75boyz

Reaction score

Thanks bro. I was gonna let it slide, lol.
Appreciate it.