The greatest coaching staff ever in Cowboys history; or did Jimmy just get lucky?

Blackrain

Reaction score
Mike ditka. Dan Reeves and Ernie Stautner these men not only one championships as players as coaches with the cowboys but went on to get to super bowls ...

Now quit being a dogface child and admit you lied, spoke without thinking or just blurte outmthings as you are prone to do.
There is no shame in admitting error but ther is in lying and then lying about your lie.

Send me an apology or a Cracker Barrel gift card.:mad:
If you would learn to read and stop spouting all this cockney bull spit you would see I said get to super bowls not win a super bowl.

So since you're a smacked glass with limited comprehension skills and a ridiculous fetish for British lingo I will break it down for you Mike ditka won a super bowl as a coach
Dan Reeves won NFC and AFC championship games and got to the super bowl four different times I believe with two different teams if I am correct.

Ernie Stautner won a championship in Europe.

What did Campo Turner and Wannstedt do as head coaches. See if you can possibly describe it without sounding like you're in the bathroom of a Manchester United game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
If you would learn to read and stop spouting all this cockney bull spit you would see I said get to super bowls not win a super bowl.

So since you're a smacked glass with limited comprehension skills and a ridiculous fetish for British lingo I will break it down for you Mike ditka won a super bowl as a coach
Dan Reeves won NFC and AFC championship games and got to the super bowl four different times I believe with two different teams if I am correct.

What did Campo Turner and Wannstedt do as head coaches. See if you can possibly describe it without sounding like you're in the bathroom of a Manchester United game.

So you lied when implying Reeves won a Lombardini trophy? Tsk-tsk!

Hurrah! For he's a jolly good fellow! Huzzah!
:angry:

What did Campo Turner and Wannstedt do as head coaches.
When did I write, sugar boy, that Jimmy's coaches went on to greatness? Nay, Mr. Pants on Fire, I expressly wrote that Wandstedt etc, went on to flop as HCs and assistants. I sense deception in you! Aversion! Collusion!
Tell the truth, man, it shall liberate you!

Blackrain

Reaction score
So you lied when implying Reeves won a Lombardini trophy? Tsk-tsk!

Hurrah! For he's a jolly good fellow! Huzzah!
:angry:

What did Campo Turner and Wannstedt do as head coaches.
When did I write, sugar boy, that Jimmy's coaches went on to greatness? Nay, Mr. Pants on Fire, I expressly wrote that Wandstedt etc, went on to flop as HCs and assistants. I sense deception in you! Aversion! Collusion!
Tell the truth, man, it shall liberate you!
I neither lied nor implied embrace your lack of comprehension and admit your mistake.

Your Cockney drivel is old and annoying to all

plasticman

Reaction score
Yes they were really great but not the best coaching staff in Cowboys history.

What did they accomplish after leaving the Cowboys?

Tom Landry had two assistant coaches that later took teams to the Super Bowl as their Head Coach, Mike Ditka and Dan Reeves. Another became the Head Coach of a college team that eventually won a national championship, Gene Stallings.

I really liked Butch Davis, he went back to coach the Miami Hurricanes but he didn't win a championship.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
......and then Jerry's ego got in the way.

Again i'm no Jerry apologist but Jimmy certainley brought his own ego to this dance...if it was not 50/50 it was like 49/51. But at the edn of the day would Jimmy have stayed? Maybe he says he would've left anyway now days....its a shame they could not work this out in a secluded place over a weekend for sure.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Me good lads, friends of Edgar Buchanon, failed contractor and roofing adjustors:

I pose to you, the unwashed and hungry for my analysis, a question.
What in your mind is the greatst Cowboys coaching staff?

Some from the middle last century might say Landry, Ernie Stoutner,
Dick Nolan, Raymond Berry, Dan Reeves, Gene Stallings, Mike Ditka, and John Mackovic was the greatest assemblage of coaching talent, and I might agree. (But this gathering was done over 30 years; Jimmy did his thing in 5 years.)

But then came Jimmy, ridiculed that he wouldn't be playing the Eastern Carolinas of the world anymore, he didn't know NFL workings, etc. ad nauseum. Even made fun of his helmet-like hair. Blimey!
But Jimmy made them eat their words and assembled, as it seems in me crowded, echo-y mind, the greatest tight-knit coaching staff in our history in 1993.
Look at this list from 1993, lads and solar panel grifters, the coaching greatness we shant see again in our lifetimes.
Or am I just romanticizing this era?
*As gleaned from Wilipedia:
Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

Strength and conditioning

Is this a list of assistant coaching rock stars or not?

Holla and brings me a dollar.
Dave Wannesdat was LB and DC. Jimmy Johnson last staff hire was actually Mike Zimmer (Jerry and Switzer finalized it after Jimmy was fired). Tony Wise was the OL coach before Hauck.

However, Tom Landry had Dikta, and Reeves on his staff and that gives you 1 Super Bowl Championship, and 5 Super Bowl appearances by his staff members in the position of Head Coach of NFL teams. Gene Stallings led Bama to a College Football Championship as HC. Also, Ernie Stautner and Jerry Tubbs was with Landry for those 29 years. Jim Meyers the OL coach was on the staff for 26 years. So Landry had the better staff.

Interesting fact about Tubbs is that the Cowboys from the beginning of the franchise 1960 until 1984 only had 3 Middle linebackers...Jerry Tubbs, Lee Roy Jordan, and Bob Breunig. They had only 2 RDT...Mr. Cowboy Bob Lilly and the Manster Randy White.
I forgot old man Raymond Berry actually took the NE Patriots to a Super Bowl and he was on Tom Landry's staff as WR coach. So that is 1 Super Bowl Championship, 1 College Championship, and 6 Super Bowl appearances by Landry's staff members in position of Head Coach. So Super Bowl XX featured 2 ex Landry staff members vs. each other in Ditka and Berry.

Besides being former NFL players, and Hall of Famers (Ditka, Stautner, Berry, and possibly Reeves), this is no contest as the who had the greatest staff in Dallas Cowboys history but I say it was the best staff in NFL history.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I forgot old man Raymond Berry actually took the NE Patriots to a Super Bowl and he was on Tom Landry's staff as WR coach. So that is 1 Super Bowl Championship, 1 College Championship, and 6 Super Bowl appearances by Landry's staff members in position of Head Coach. So Super Bowl XX featured 2 ex Landry staff members vs. each other in Ditka and Berry.

Besides being former NFL players, and Hall of Famers (Ditka, Stautner, Berry, and possibly Reeves), this is no contest as the who had the greatest staff in Dallas Cowboys history but I say it was the best staff in NFL history.

Well, I give up. You ragamuffins canna grasp that Jimmy assembled his great staff over a period of 4 years, while old man Landry had 30 years to assemble his staff of good coaches but not in ONE bunch or in 4 years.

Sigh

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Well, I give up. You ragamuffins canna grasp that Jimmy assembled his great staff over a period of 4 years, while old man Landry had 30 years to assemble his staff of good coaches but not in ONE bunch or in 4 years.

Sigh
Jimmy staff came with him from Miami (see Hub Alexander, Joe Brodsky). That was 1984. Since 1979 Tony Wise OL Coach and Butch Davis DL coach had been on Johnson Coaching staff. Dave Wannstedt had been with Jimmy since they were DC an assistant on Jackie Sherrill staff at Pitt (see Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson). That was 1975.

So longevity on the coachings staffs with the same HC is about the same.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Jimmy staff came with him from Miami (see Hub Alexander, Joe Brodsky). That was 1984. Since 1979 Tony Wise OL Coach and Butch Davis DL coach had been on Johnson Coaching staff. Dave Wannstedt had been with Jimmy since they were DC an assistant on Jackie Sherrill staff at Pitt (see Hugh Green and Ricky Jackson). That was 1975.

So longevity on the coachings staffs with the same HC is about the same.

What planet are you from?

Again, I am not writing about longevity of staffs or staffs that have come and gone over 30 years as in Landry's regime.

THE GREATEST COWBOY STAFF, IN ME MIND, 1993.

Pick a year for Landry's greatest staff, not great coaches who came in during the 60s, mid-70s, late 80s etc.

Mannix

Reaction score
I laugh when people used to state "Oh sure, NOW you love Jimmy....I bet you wern't saying that when they fired Laundry"....BS....Laundry needed to fired yesterday back in the later 80's.....I fell in love with Jimmy the day I watched this game....immediately wanted the guy in Dallas, and almost had a heart attack the night the news broke he was coming. I lived in an apartment and waited until 2 AM for my next door neighbor to get home who was at work...pre cell phones...made him drink with me until about 4 AM....awesome weekend!!!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
I laugh when people used to state "Oh sure, NOW you love Jimmy....I bet you wern't saying that when they fired Laundry"....BS....Laundry needed to fired yesterday back in the later 80's.....I fell in love with Jimmy the day I watched this game....immediately wanted the guy in Dallas, and almost had a heart attack the night the news broke he was coming. I lived in an apartment and waited until 2 AM for my next door neighbor to get home who was at work...pre cell phones...made him drink with me until about 4 AM....awesome weekend!!!

I recall standing near a xerox copy machine talking to a fellow Dallas fan in 1989. All atwitter about the earth moving and making way for Jimmy and Jerry.. We two stuck together because it was Calif. but it has it's fair share of Cowboys fans, mostly who are yahoos but convivial sorts, anyway.
Where was I ... oh, the dancers were lovely and the music tunes were toe tappers!

Mannix

Reaction score
Sorry....I forgot to link the game I was referring to above. This game sold me on him... lock, stock, and barrel. What impressed me the most is that Jimmy didn't even look happy after it ended.....probably mad that they played so poorly the first 3 1/2 quarters. Look at Jimmy at 31:22 how many coaches at that point would still be clapping???

Last edited:

jsb357

Reaction score
Jimmy had a knack for spotting talent and in the pre salary cap era talent was easier to keep.

Also Jimmy started the trend of rotating defensive lineman to keep them fresh
out of necessity more that anything but also to see who played the best on
game day.

Jimmy's problem was as a college coach he never had to deal with older more mature players
and as the Dallas team got older, the fear factor from the coach did not have the power it once did.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
What planet are you from?

Again, I am not writing about longevity of staffs or staffs that have come and gone over 30 years as in Landry's regime.

THE GREATEST COWBOY STAFF, IN ME MIND, 1993.

Pick a year for Landry's greatest staff, not great coaches who came in during the 60s, mid-70s, late 80s etc.
From 1966-1978 that staff had Reeves, Ditka, Stautner, Tubbs, and Stallings. No losing seasons for 13 consecutive years, 12 playoffs appearances, 11 NFC Championship games, 5 Super Bowls, 2 Super Bowl Championship game wins. So you pick the year.

I am from planet Earth. You are on fantasy Island. Go meet the Plane, the Plane, the Plane.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
From 1966-1978 that staff had Reeves, Ditka, Stautner, Tubbs, and Stallings. No losing seasons for 13 consecutive years, 12 playoffs appearances, 11 NFC Championship games, 5 Super Bowls, 2 Super Bowl Championship game wins. So you pick the year.

I am from planet Earth. You are on fantasy Island. Go meet the Plane, the Plane, the Plane.

Blimey. You've narrowed it down to 12 years.
If tha is the extent of education provided you, very well.
Here is your certificate of participation and one for old leather shoe Landry.
Sigh.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Me good lads, friends of Edgar Buchanon, failed contractor and roofing adjustors:

Dick Nolan, Raymond Berry, Dan Reeves, Gene Stallings, Mike Ditka, and John Mackovic was the greatest assemblage of coaching talent, and I might agree. (But this gathering was done over 30 years; Jimmy did his thing in 5 years.)

But then came Jimmy, ridiculed that he wouldn't be playing the Eastern Carolinas of the world anymore, he didn't know NFL workings, etc. ad nauseum. Even made fun of his helmet-like hair. Blimey!
But Jimmy made them eat their words and assembled, as it seems in me crowded, echo-y mind, the greatest tight-knit coaching staff in our history in 1993.
Look at this list from 1993, lads and solar panel grifters, the coaching greatness we shant see again in our lifetimes.
Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

Wanny was a LB coach before promoting up through the ranks ahead of Butch Davis IIRC.

Jimmy had insanely talented defensive coaches, Special teams guy in Coach Joe and Joe Brodsky is why we had Emmitt.
Offensively, those largely weren't Jimmy coaches but guys they brought in to replace a terrible offensive staff.
Jerry had a big hand in Norv being here.

Jimmy had eyed the NFL for a bit and he had a plan and that plan was executed very well.
He deserves tons of credit for the job he did in Dallas.
But he also got lucky and was fortunate to have the owner tell him to trade Herschel because he wanted "QB money".
As in most things the truth is somewhere in the middle.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

Defensive coaches
Special teams coaches

Jimmy had the stars line up.

Jerry's money
Hershall accepting the trade

Without that Jimmy wouldn't have made it out of 1991