The greatest frontmen/women of alltime in the musical arts

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Ok so we all got favorites opinions debates etc.

Blah i posted to early.

So what i'm saying is who is the best singer, performer, entertainer at the front in all of modern history.

For me i got

#1 Michael Jackson, i'm not a fan, but he is the Jordan of frontmen to me, if i judge without other outside scenarios being involved, well he's the best.

#2 Elvis Presley, what else need i type?

#3 Mick Jagger, longevity matched by none!

Can you beat it?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
The following is a list of those that have personally affected me that haven't been listed so far I believe...
  • James Hetfield
  • Tom Araya
  • Ozzy Ozborne
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn
  • Joe Bonamassa
  • Kenny Wayne Shepherd
  • Taylor Momsen
  • Ric Ocasek
  • Joan Jett
  • Stevie Nicks
  • Samatha Fish
  • Whitney Houston
  • Madonna
  • Janis Joplin
  • Steven Tyler
  • Phil Collins
  • Willie Nelson
  • Don Henley
  • Wilson Pickett
  • Axl Rose
  • Rod Stewart
  • Kurt Cobain
  • Chuck Berry
  • Prince
  • Michael Jackson
  • David Bowie
  • Etta James
  • Tina Turner
  • Robert Plant (was he already listed?)
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Joe Elliot
  • Joey Belladonna
  • Chris Cornell
  • Layne Staley
  • Scott Weiland
  • Billy Gibbons
I'm sure there are a few I'm missing, but these are AWESOME.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Probably the best production I have seen is Prince. Talented and engaging. Hard to beat.

Ben Harper puts on a great show. Showcases a ton of musicians for the crowd and jams.

Most visceral is probably Tool. Maynard likes to go crazy on stage.

Most entertaining is either Les Claypool from Primus or the Beastie Boys as a troupe.

Most disappointing has to be the Pixies. Mechanical and flat.

Most fun I had was with Beck or the Coombes brothers who hung out with us after the show.

Worst performance I ever saw was Mr Bungle. I don't know what the problem was but they could not keep rhythm and Patton melted down when we booed them.

Most depressing was watching Courtney Love on stage a couple days after Jerry Garcia died. She started talking about Jerry and then tied it into her dead husband and broke down. That was a weird show and a weird crowd.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
define frontman, to me that means lead singer of a band not a soloist.

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Mick Jagger

Yes, not sure some here know the meaning of frontman. You nailed it, except you forgot Jim Morrison.

For frontwomen, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Janice Joplin, Grace Slick.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
define frontman, to me that means lead singer of a band not a soloist.

Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Mick Jagger
A man or woman singing the lead at the front while others are playing Instruments live on stage. I'm not sure if Michael Jackson qualifies, i never saw his shows mostly just studio stuff. He is a exceptional performer none the less.

Without Michael Jackson my list would look something like this.

Elvis Presley
Mick Jagger
Bruce Springsteen
David Bowie
Robert Plant

Freddie Mercury was a elite talent, i rarely listened to Queen so i am unsure where to rank him.

Madonna is also someone that i don't know if there were live instruments being played while she was performing, but if so i would think she needs to be on this list somewhere as well.

Bono has to rank up there even though I am not much of a U2 fan.
U2 was one of my favorite bands when i was a youngster. Bono in his prime was amazing, ever since the bicycle disaster Bono looks like he has given up on his craft. I wont go see U2 again till Bono gets serious, and that may never happen.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yes, not sure some here know the meaning of frontman. You nailed it, except you forgot Jim Morrison.

For frontwomen, Ann Wilson, Stevie Nicks, Janice Joplin, Grace Slick.

Even solo artists have a backing band who generally also tour with them. Well, except for guys like Joe Satriani who is known to play all the instruments on many of his albums.

Last edited: