The Hardest Hittin Safties EVER!

Reaction score
I am not talking about the best Safties ever, just the hardest hitting ever, the guys you just don't want to get caught going over the midldle by. These are the guys that would knock themselves unconscious while trying to do the same to you.

1. Jack Tatum
2. Ronnie Lott
3a. Steve Atwater
3b. Rodney Harrison
4a.Donnie Shell
4b.Roy Williams
5. Geroge Atkinson
6. Gary Fencik
7. John Lynch
8. Darren Woodson
9a. Brian Dawkins
9b. Kenoy Kennedy
10. Cliff Harris

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
I find no fault in that list...it looks right and as I am unable to think of anyone else that would just level people...ahhh wait James Washington also liked to lay a lick on a player or 2 but probably not at the level of these guys

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
I am not talking about the best Safties ever, just the hardest hitting ever, the guys you just don't want to get caught going over the midldle by. These are the guys that would knock themselves unconscious while trying to do the same to you.

1. Jack Tatum
2. Ronnie Lott
3a. Steve Atwater
3b. Rodney Harrison
4a.Donnie Shell
4b.Roy Williams
5. Geroge Atkinson
6. Gary Fencik
7. John Lynch
8. Darren Woodson
9a. Brian Dawkins
9b. Kenoy Kennedy
10. Cliff Harris

Tatum and Lott were the first two that popped in to my head when I read the title.

parchy

Reaction score
I think Tatum was more nasty than he was a huge hitter... he had some levels, but I think Lott was a bigger hitter than he...

I think an honorable mention should go to Chuck Bednarik... he was a linebacker, but he had the biggest hit in pro football history

Bednarik&Gifford.jpg

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
parchy said:
I think Tatum was more nasty than he was a huge hitter... he had some levels, but I think Lott was a bigger hitter than he...

I think an honorable mention should go to Chuck Bednarik... he was a linebacker, but he had the biggest hit in pro football history

Bednarik&Gifford.jpg
As big a hitter as Tatum was he met his match in Earl Campbell :D

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

Earl was something wasn't he... those first 5-6 years amazing

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Earl was something wasn't he... those first 5-6 years amazing
I have a video at home where Tatum hits Earl with everything he had and Tatum just bounced off. Earl just kind of stubbled and then regained his balance and scored :eek:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That Tatum was scary. He's tops followed by Ronnie Lott.

By the end of his career, Roy Williams should be in the top three, if he gets defensive help. His first year was unbelieveable. I never saw him move backward when he hit a player. It was like a Volkswagon hitting the side of a mountain.

I hope he regains that form this year.

parchy

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

I used to be best buds with one of Earl's sons... Earl is still a bear and he's still nice as ever

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Do you guys remember that dude Chuck Cecil? I think he played for the Cardinals. He definitely deserves to be on that list.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER said:
Do you guys remember that dude Chuck Cecil? I think he played for the Cardinals. He definitely deserves to be on that list.
Too me Cecil was more dirty than a big hitter. He always lead with his helmet sort of like John Lynch.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Larry Wilson, a Card from the past, and Pat Tillman, a recent Card, both were big hitters.

ravidubey

Reaction score
David Fulcher should be ahead of Atwater and just behind Lott! All-Pro in the late 1980's and NFL DB of the year the Bengals' Superbowl season. He was the prototype for the modern strong safety-- the first one to wiegh over 220 pounds and still be fast enough to cover receivers.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Lott belongs at #1 all by himself, IMO. He was an unreal hitter.

The only guy I've seen close is Roy. Will he be in the same catagory by the end of his career? Time will tell... but I think he will.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
earl campbell is from my hometown. There was an old High School named after him during the 80's, E.J. Campbell high school. He was a little before my time, so I have never really seen any clips of him.

playit12

Reaction score
Yeah I always have problems with these list.. They remind me of the "who was the strongest linemen" or "what QB could throw the furthest" list..

Hardest hit is essestially just F=MA (Force = Mass x Acceleration) (Some might argue is momentum and not force but it doesn't change the result here)

So How can you compare guys 20 years ago that were playing at around 185 pounds or so and running a 4.6 40 to guys like Roy who weigh 230 and run a 4.5?

Guys are bigger, faster, and hit harder today than they ever did before. The hits that Ronnie put on might have just looked more impressive because he was also hitting guys that weighed less than recievers today. Never the less, if you put them up against a machine to test the results would favor today's players.

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
Tatums hit on Campbell , knocked Campbell out ! Tatum asked Earl about that hit and Earl said He was out on his feet and didn't know who he was when he got to the sideline,

btcutter

Reaction score
Do we need to take into consideration of the rule changes over the years? The Safties later have to be careful of not leading with their helmets and watch where they hit opponents, where as in the earlier days you are just fair game if you come across the middle.
RW would easily decapitate some WRs if the rules have been different.