The Hardest Hittin Safties EVER!

YN1SCOTT

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Wow, you could not be more wrong. I agree that Tatum could bring it but Take out Earl Campbell? No, that didn't happen.

I remember that game like it was yesterday. Monday night game I think, 1979. Campbell takes the handoff at the 2. Off RT as I recall. Tatum has a running start and the two meet at about the 1 yard line. The collision is bone jarring. I saw an article awhile back from Ted Hendricks talking about that play. He discribes the fact that his job, on that play, was to take out all blocking thus leaving a clear path for Tatum to stop the ball carrier. Hendricks talks about just that and goes on to say that he was on the ground but could feel the impact of Tatum and Campbell. The sound of the impact basically drowned everything else out. When the play was over, Earl had backed into the endzone after being turned around by the hit from Tatum. Earl scored on that play but also pulled his groing muscle. Tatum was not so lucky. Tatum feel in a heap on the goal line. He had injured his neck. Tatum would never recover from that impact and he eventually retired from football after that 79 season. Tatum was a hitter but Earl was the man.

Hey yo, just cause TATUM got the worse of that hit doesn't mean that he couldn't or didn't take him out. I don't ever remember Campbell falling down after being hit by one guy (except TATUM). Campbell would usually run through anyone. Lets not get this twisted, by no means am I saying Campbell wasn't the man. We all know that not to be true. But the man only had to go two yards and once TATUM hit'em he was luck to get that! but I guess this all falls under a matter of one opinion right?

laythewood28

Reaction score
CowboyChris said:
i would put our own Darren Woodson on that list over Cliff Harris, Woody was a converted LB to S out of college, he could flat out lay some people out!

Have to agree. Hardest cowboy hitter of all time. YES even over golden boy roy.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
laythewood28 said:
Have to agree. Hardest cowboy hitter of all time. YES even over golden boy roy.
Rember that hit on Rodney Peete at the sticks. He punished him. Woody use to scare people, the same type of fear that follows Roy.

laythewood28

Reaction score
adbutcher said:
Rember that hit on Rodney Peete at the sticks. He punished him. Woody use to scare people, the same type of fear that follows Roy.
Woody made stadiums echo when he hit people. Some players that i've seen him hit disappered from the tv screen and had me wonderin where they go?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
YN1SCOTT said:
Hey yo, just cause TATUM got the worse of that hit doesn't mean that he couldn't or didn't take him out. I don't ever remember Campbell falling down after being hit by one guy (except TATUM). Campbell would usually run through anyone. Lets not get this twisted, by no means am I saying Campbell wasn't the man. We all know that not to be true. But the man only had to go two yards and once TATUM hit'em he was luck to get that! but I guess this all falls under a matter of one opinion right?

Not to me. Tatum was the assasin. His job was supposed to be, Stop Earl. That play was designed to give Tatum a clear angle to Campbell on the goal line. Tatum had a good running start. He got paid to take people out. Earl got paid to score TDs. Only two yards or 10 yards, it doesn't matter. Tatum got his chance. Earl retired him. Simple as that. I give credit to Tatum because he could bring it but not over Earl Campbell.

Each got paid to do a job. Only one earned there money that day.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Zaxor said:
that is how I remember it also...

I seem to remember R. White a.k.a. the Manster and Earl meeting on a thanksgiving day...care to remember who won that one

I remember that game I think. It was also in the 79 season. That was a great game. One of the best I've ever seen. The Cowboys really needed that win, as I recall. We had dropped a couple and were in the thick of it for the playoffs. The Oilers were also needing that win to keep pace with Pittsburgh and Oakland. That game went back and fourth. Roger was hot that game. He threw a long one to Pearson in the first half, as I recall, but Earl answered with a 60 yarder. The Cowboys held the upper hand almost the whole game but Houston wouldn't die. Cowboys lead in the 4th and were forced to punt as I recall. Don't remember what the penalty was but it gave Houston a first down. They scored a TD and took the lead. I remember Roger threw a critical INT in that game also. In the last minutes, the Cowboys had Houston Third and maybe three around there own 20 or so. I remember Earl taking the pitch and dragging Cowboys for about 5 yards to get the first and seal the victory.

I think Earl ran for about 200 against us that day. It was both painful and sweet. Interesting sensation.

Earl was unbelievable.