The Hardest Hittin Safties EVER!

ravidubey

Reaction score
Guards, TE's, FB's, WR's and RB's were smaller back then, too. Here is Fulcher:

David1.jpg

StevenOtero

Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
I am not talking about the best Safties ever, just the hardest hitting ever, the guys you just don't want to get caught going over the midldle by. These are the guys that would knock themselves unconscious while trying to do the same to you.

1. Jack Tatum
2. Ronnie Lott
3a. Steve Atwater
3b. Rodney Harrison
4a.Donnie Shell
4b.Roy Williams
5. Geroge Atkinson
6. Gary Fencik
7. John Lynch
8. Darren Woodson
9a. Brian Dawkins
9b. Kenoy Kennedy
10. Cliff Harris

What position did Bill Bates play? Oh well doesn't matter. Hes one of our hardest hitters.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Lynn Scott made a big hit in pre-season 3 years ago. I think he's made over 1 million dollars since then.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Jarv said:
Lynn Scott made a big hit in pre-season 3 years ago. I think he's made over 1 million dollars since then.
Dixon had at least one or two hard hits in the Wash game and he made several millions :bang2:

Reaction score
playit12 said:
Yeah I always have problems with these list.. They remind me of the "who was the strongest linemen" or "what QB could throw the furthest" list..

Hardest hit is essestially just F=MA (Force = Mass x Acceleration) (Some might argue is momentum and not force but it doesn't change the result here)

So How can you compare guys 20 years ago that were playing at around 185 pounds or so and running a 4.6 40 to guys like Roy who weigh 230 and run a 4.5?

Guys are bigger, faster, and hit harder today than they ever did before. The hits that Ronnie put on might have just looked more impressive because he was also hitting guys that weighed less than recievers today. Never the less, if you put them up against a machine to test the results would favor today's players.

You left out one factor which makes your math crumble like 10 year old Lorna Doones... and that's "heart".

Yes back in the day everyone was smaller, but it doesn't mean that they didn't hit just as hard or even harder back then. I played ball, as I am sure most people here have, and I gotta tell you, some of our smaller guys on the team were the most vicious hitters on the team (heart). You can't teach heart, just ask Troy Hambrick as he tip toes out of bounds.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Drederick Tatum said:
I am not talking about the best Safties ever, just the hardest hitting ever, the guys you just don't want to get caught going over the midldle by. These are the guys that would knock themselves unconscious while trying to do the same to you.

1. Jack Tatum
2. Ronnie Lott
3a. Steve Atwater
3b. Rodney Harrison
4a.Donnie Shell
4b.Roy Williams
5. Geroge Atkinson
6. Gary Fencik
7. John Lynch
8. Darren Woodson
9a. Brian Dawkins
9b. Kenoy Kennedy
10. Cliff Harris

Fencik and Atkinson were brutal. I would rank them way ahead of Roy Williams.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Good list. The Tatum-Campbell collision was an all time classic. I also really like the hit that Steve Atwater had on Christian Okoye. Safties often get the opportunity to get a big highlight reel hit on small receivers, but there are fewer opportunties to do it against big running backs. Roy had one against Shaun Alexander a couple of seasons ago.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
... he had a reckless disregard for his own personal safety and he was out to make a career on every hit.

The Campbell hit was monstrous and although Campbell was still standing he definitely felt it.

The scary hit of his career was the one that crippled Darryl Stingley of the Patriots.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
I have a video at home where Tatum hits Earl with everything he had and Tatum just bounced off. Earl just kind of stubbled and then regained his balance and scored :eek:

They both got knocked out on that play, if I recall correctly.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ravidubey said:
David Fulcher should be ahead of Atwater and just behind Lott! All-Pro in the late 1980's and NFL DB of the year the Bengals' Superbowl season. He was the prototype for the modern strong safety-- the first one to wiegh over 220 pounds and still be fast enough to cover receivers.

Ha, you beat me to it! I was going to mention David Fulcher of the Bengals too. He was listed at 6'3" 228 in 1986 and played like he was every ounce of that. Roy Williams reminds me a lot of him.

To me the hardest hitter, if only for one hit, was Steve Atwater for his hit on Christian Okoye. He sent 260lb "The Nigerian Nightmare" backwards in a game on Monday Night that you could hear. They played it over and over again and it was one of the most awesome hits I have ever seen!

My all-time favorite hit was by Earl Campbell against Rams LB Isaiah Robertson. Earl is running outside the tackle and sees Robertson, changes direction to head straight at him, lowers his head and delivers a crushing hit with his helmet right in Robertson's chest. I couldn't stand Robertson as he gave Staubach 2 concussions over the years. He was definitely my most hated Rams player and deserved that big hit by Earl, who was one of my favorite non-Cowboys players ever.

scottsp

Reaction score
Great list.

Yeah, Fulcher was a BEAST! Big hitter was good range. He could line ya up and make you forget all life's troubles. Treading between the hashes twelve and deeper just wasn't something you did when he was on the field.

scottsp

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Ha, you beat me to it! I was going to mention David Fulcher of the Bengals too. He was listed at 6'3" 228 in 1986 and played like he was every ounce of that. Roy Williams reminds me a lot of him.

To me the hardest hitter, if only for one hit, was Steve Atwater for his hit on Christian Okoye. He sent 260lb "The Nigerian Nightmare" backwards in a game on Monday Night that you could hear. They played it over and over again and it was one of the most awesome hits I have ever seen!

My all-time favorite hit was by Earl Campbell against Rams LB Isaiah Robertson. Earl is running outside the tackle and sees Robertson, changes direction to head straight at him, lowers his head and delivers a crushing hit with his helmet right in Robertson's chest. I couldn't stand Robertson as he gave Staubach 2 concussions over the years. He was definitely my most hated Rams player and deserved that big hit by Earl, who was one of my favorite non-Cowboys players ever.

Ahh yeah, I remember that MNF game with KC and Denver at Mile High. The Atwater hit still makes me cringe. And the image of Earl brushing off that attempt by Robertson will live forever in NFL highlight reels

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Jack Tatum...Jack Tatum...Jack Tatum.

The Denver guys were pretty tough too.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Jack Tatum...Jack Tatum...Jack Tatum.

The Denver guys were pretty tough too.

Tatum was a wusssssssss....... :laugh1:

77Cowboy

Reaction score
I have to agree with the poster on the last page, Kenny Easley was crushing people back in the 80's.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Fencik and Atkinson were brutal. I would rank them way ahead of Roy Williams.

Barely glimpsed Atkinson so I can't comment, but I saw a lot of Fencik and while I thought he was good I never pegged him as a serious hitter. Maybe it was because the other guys on those awesome Bear defenses overshadowed him a bit, but I just don't hold him in the same regard physically as Roy Williams who's a monster.

Roy is simply breaking people at an astonishing rate.