The Holdout, Blessing in Disguise?

jnday

Reaction score
Naaaa. Jerry’s happy with what he has. Another version of the Triplets he can sell like no other. And he can piece together the rest getting cheap where he can even if it means sacrificing the defense.

He’s not giving up on his two sensational Rookies. It’s not just about winning football. It’s always more than that to Jerry. It’s about his pride of letting Romo go for what they believed was their savior to another Super Bowl. And Elliott is a key support piece.
I wouldn’t classify Zeke as a support piece. He is at the top of the RB position. Dak is more of s support piece. He is a below average/average player at his position and he needs Zeke if he wants to play at his best.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
True, you don’t have to have a 15 million dollar RB whith a top oline, but there is nothing saying that doubling down with a great oline and a great RB is a bad thing . Emmitt and The Great Wall of Dallas certainly complimented each other well and they were quite successful.
Right

You don’t need a 15 million dollar RB , UNLESS you have a QB who’s dependent not only on his production but his presence which helps keep defenses honest.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
OK, since I am the only one without an Elliott thread, I am giving in and posting more words about a player not on the team since Romo retired.

Like most things, if you look for the silver lining, you can find it and I believe this has several to it.

What's the prevalent thinking? Prescott is on one knee singing "You are the wind beneath my wings" to Elliott or "I am nothing without you". Don't you want to find out? If he has to have Elliott, do the Cowboys have to have him?

There's a new OC in town, Kellen the Young, and it's his job to get this offense off it's butt and scoring at least 7 more points a game. Is he going to do that with the same ole same ole? Don't you want to find out? This offense needs change, not just window dressing, they're lost in the 90's.

The holdout not only caught the FO off guard but it seems to have put them on pause in signing the QB and WR after giving the DE the largest contract in team history and largest 4/3 DE one ever. I am hoping this is giving them time to really think this through. Is it so bad if they don't sign any of the three? Is paying a little more in 2020 not better than making a mistake in 2019? They need to show they're a FO that doesn't blink first or they'll continue blinking down the road.

The DC has been dependent on using the RB to garner time and keep his unit on the sideline and to keep the score close and low. That thinking is counter productive to today's NFL, no business can save it's way into a profit. They have to run today's offense, which is why the OC change happened, and they have to run today's defense, bring pressure and get turnovers. Aggressive on both sides of the ball is the order of the day. Don't you want to find out if this coaching staff and team can do that?

If Elliott comes in, what changes? What do we find out? Do they rely on that too much as Linehan did? They have been too Elliott dependent on both sides of the ball.

I am glad he's holding out and no, I do not hold anything against him as he's not doing anything to the fans or team. I want to find out about this team. Is it a true contender? They need to find out if they're a team or riding a RB.

The fact that all of the media focus and most of ours here is on a player not on the team tells me we are overlooking the guys that showed up to play. I'd like to see these guys get a chance to show they're more than one player. That 93 team failed to do that and I want to find out if this one can do just that.

Actually, Zeke's absence will hurt the team and he's banking on it. He is hoping that Dallas losing will motivate the Cowboys to give him the largest contract for a RB in league history. So, the question is why would anyone who calls themselves a cowboy fan be on this guys side? He's signed a contract. He has chosen not to honor the contract. There is nothing noble or admirable about it. No higher principle at stake. He's just being a selfish twit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have fans who actually haven’t seen enough. They apparently want to see more. Then what are we going to do once they see that our QB isn’t enough?

Then we won’t have a QB or league leading rusher who are together competitive with a WR1. Competitive enough to take us to the brink of a championship appearance .

All for what ? Because they don’t like our thuggish stud RB holding us hostage?

Fans really believe Jerry’s ready to roll the dice on what we have for the unknown , all for his two stars wanting to get paid now? I guess you guys see a different Jerry than I do. Lol

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agree 1000%. I really hope that the holdout lasts into the regular season, because no one is going to believe it until they see it in a real game. But when you pay 46.3M in salary for your offensive line, 23.5% of your salary cap, then you shouldn't have to pay a running back $15M per year. That $15M per year is going to be needed to lock up Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones and Maliek Collins.

Awesome post.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Actually, Zeke's absence will hurt the team and he's banking on it. He is hoping that Dallas losing will motivate the Cowboys to give him the largest contract for a RB in league history. So, the question is why would anyone who calls themselves a cowboy fan be on this guys side? He's signed a contract. He has chosen not to honor the contract. There is nothing noble or admirable about it. No higher principle at stake. He's just being a selfish twit.
Because his talent makes us a better team.

I can’t stand the guy but we need him on the field. That’s the bottom line.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because his talent makes us a better team.

I can’t stand the guy but we need him on the field. That’s the bottom line.

He hasn't made a difference in his first 3 years even with all those yards. We still haven't advanced past the divisional round. Its a team sport and its clear Zeke is more interested in having a ridiculous contract than being part of a winning team. Paying him gets us no closer to the ultimate goal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He hasn't made a difference in his first 3 years even with all those yards. We still haven't advanced past the divisional round. Its a team sport and its clear Zeke is more interested in having a ridiculous contract than being part of a winning team. Paying him gets us no closer to the ultimate goal.
But we wouldn’t even be a contender in playoffs without him.

You guys take this entirely too personal. This is a league of guys we wouldn’t let our daughters go out with on the most part or have anything to do with.

They are thugs, druggies, rapist, abusers , etc.
If it wasn’t for their football skills most of them would have ended up in prison, dead or some day laborer type of job.

And not paying him places us further away.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think its been a huge distraction for the team.

It will also be a problem when Dallas starts to lose football games.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But we wouldn’t even be a contender in playoffs without him.

You guys take this entirely too personal. This is a league of guys we wouldn’t let our daughters go out with on the most part or have anything to do with.

They are thugs, druggies, rapist, abuses , etc.
If it wasn’t for their football skills most of them would have ended up in prison, dead or some day laborer type of job.

I root for the team. I could care less about who wears the uniform. I've seen him in 3 playoff games and he's 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He's no Emmitt Smith.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I root for the team. I could care less about who wears the uniform. I've seen him in 3 playoff games and he's 4 yards and a cloud of dust. He's no Emmitt Smith.

I think his stats and rushing titles say...hes the man.

Zeke!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hear ya but the better defenses can shut him down stacking the LOS and make Dak try to beat them.

In the 90’s we weren’t a one dimensional offense.

The bigger picture is what is Dak and our offense without him. Are we even a playoff team when Dak is without Elite supporting cast ?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I hear ya but the better defenses can shut him down stacking the LOS and make Dak try to beat them.

In the 90’s we weren’t a one dimensional offense.

The bigger picture is what is Dak and our offense without him. Are we even a playoff team when Dak is without Elite supporting cast ?

You want teams to try to shutdown Zeke.

Many coverage on the outside is what we want.