The Hope of Garrett

CoCo

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2366439 said:
if TO is held to two catches or less again there's no hope in Garrett is a HC.

speechless... :)

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Jason Garrett needs a strong head coach to give him parameters about how to manage Tony Romo during a game. Evidently, Wade Phillips will not or cannot do it. After all, Garrett is making major money as offensive coordinator, and he is "the coach in waiting".

I vote for Bill Cowher if the change comes at the end of the year. Cowher will get rid of some of the over confident cry babbies on this team who have no clue how to win a Super Bowl. Furthermore, he will get some much needed control over Jason Garrett's play calling.

He will keep the 3-4 and build the defense around Ware and Spencer.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Is Jason Garrett going to command the respect of the team, or are the players going to run to Jerry when things don't go there way? Can he run the entire team when he is having trouble running the offense this year at times.

Garrett has enough on his plate as it is now, and his game management of Romo was terrible in both losses, imo. Garrett needs someone like Cowher to set parameters about how to manage Tony Romo. Sometimes, Garrett gets too over confident in his play calling. Romo needs to be managed better.

If he wants to leave, then, he leaves.

Cowher can come in here and take control of this team and get rid of players like Greg Ellis, players that cry and complain and never are accountable for their play. Moreover, he can build the 3-4 around Ware and Spencer and hire his own staff.

zeromaster

Reaction score
CoCo, I get the positivism of your post, but when the hell is Red Genius going to learn to adjust his playcalling and dictate instead of being dictated to?
:bang2:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Coco, I get what you're saying about continuity, but surely you want to be very sure you have the right guy before you give him that very long term contract, right? (Not that contract length means a whole lot, anyway.)

My one hope for Red Jesus is that Jerry might have so much respect for him that if RJ tells the boss to back off and let him run the team, he will. But I'm not so sure Jerry would listen to anybody on that front.

And not to get derailed, but Superpunk... I don't remember Sparano being public enemy #1 by any means. I don't remember many strong feelings about him one way or another. He'd never been a head coach before and people were just kind of blah about him.

superpunk

Reaction score
You might want to check again.

Overwhelming sentiment led to our pathetic offensive line performance was placed squarely on Sparano's shoulders. Noone wanted him running more of the offense in Bill's last season because after all, if he couldn't run the Oline he couldn't run the offense. He ran the offense and what do you know? We had one of the best offenses in the league. Garrett dipped his hand in, and...we have one of the best offenses in the league.

People hated Sparano, and Bowles. I was hoping one got a shot at the head coaching position.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2366823 said:
Coco, I get what you're saying about continuity, but surely you want to be very sure you have the right guy before you give him that very long term contract, right? (Not that contract length means a whole lot, anyway.)

My one hope for Red Jesus is that Jerry might have so much respect for him that if RJ tells the boss to back off and let him run the team, he will. But I'm not so sure Jerry would listen to anybody on that front.

And not to get derailed, but Superpunk... I don't remember Sparano being public enemy #1 by any means. I don't remember many strong feelings about him one way or another. He'd never been a head coach before and people were just kind of blah about him.

CL,

My long term contract suggestion was probably too literal. The principle I am endorsing is stability at HC. I'm not suggesting results aren't important but I think if anything it gets too extreme in today's NFL. It doesn't always leave room for people to learn from their experiences and bring that learning to bear in their current role.

That's why I say for the right candidate, and I think Garrett could be that, I'd be willing to live with some level of growing pains because I think the guy most likely can learn from whatever mistakes he does make due to inexperience. If Jerry wants to start him on a 3-4 year deal, and renew him once he gets to test drive him a bit, fine. But I hope the standard is one of acceptable progress rather than perfection alone.

One of the things I really disliked about the Bill hire and the Wade hire was that we pretty much knew we'd be shopping for a HC again in 3-4 years best case because of their ages.

I think Jerry has figured out how to assemble the right support to be a competent GM. I think that part's been pretty stable even with recent staff turnover since Parcells arrived and perhaps even slightly before.

Now I think he needs to stabilize a solid coaching staff and philosophy or style of play (3-4 vs 4-3, WCO etc). I think those 3 things together along with his ownership passion can bring this franchise back to longer term winning a la Schramm & Landry versus the spikes (mostly down) of the last 10 years.

CoCo

Reaction score
zeromaster;2366794 said:
CoCo, I get the positivism of your post, but when the hell is Red Genius going to learn to adjust his playcalling and dictate instead of being dictated to?
:bang2:

You can buy this or not but this is my position.

If I looked at the offense's stats (I'm admittedly not going to look them up) over the 24 games Garrett has been OC here I suspect we'd be top 5 in the league. It's a broad brush and a small body of work, but that and Garrett's lineage means more to me than how many passes TO has caught in the last couple of weeks.

Am I convinced no one could make this offense more productive than JG has right now? No. But I would feel pretty good if I knew the guy would be on the Dallas staff for another 10 years as OC or HC because whatever he lacks now I think he's more than bright enough to learn along the way.

Just my totally subjective opinion. :D

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CoCo;2366882 said:
CL,

My long term contract suggestion was probably too literal. The principle I am endorsing is stability at HC. I'm not suggesting results aren't important but I think if anything it gets too extreme in today's NFL. It doesn't always leave room for people to learn from their experiences and bring that learning to bear in their current role.

That's why I say for the right candidate, and I think Garrett could be that, I'd be willing to live with some level of growing pains because I think the guy most likely can learn from whatever mistakes he does make due to inexperience. If Jerry wants to start him on a 3-4 year deal, and renew him once he gets to test drive him a bit, fine. But I hope the standard is one of acceptable progress rather than perfection alone.

I agree with you, Coco. Continuity is a huge help. I may hate the Steelers, but I admire how the Rooneys try to hire a guy and keep him in place for a long time.

Because, let's face it, coaches coach and players play. The best coaches can't win without good players. It's just that simple.

It does seem like an awfully patient approach for an owner who sometimes seems to have ADD, though. But I guess I've made my feelings known about Jerry and his relationship with the head coach.

CoCo

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2366893 said:
I agree with you, Coco. Continuity is a huge help. I may hate the Steelers, but I admire how the Rooneys try to hire a guy and keep him in place for a long time.

Because, let's face it, coaches coach and players play. The best coaches can't win without good players. It's just that simple.

It does seem like an awfully patient approach for an owner who sometimes seems to have ADD, though. But I guess I've made my feelings known about Jerry and his relationship with the head coach.

Pittsburgh is a great example of what I'm thinking.

Add Jerry's passion and deep pockets (along with his admitted warts) and I think its even better.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2366914 said:
Pittsburgh is a great example of what I'm thinking.

Add Jerry's passion and deep pockets (along with his admitted warts) and I think its even better.

Since when did Pittsburgh have an owner/GM that undermines the HC?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I think most of our success is due to the talent on offense (when that talent isn't injured).

Garrett has every possbile play for every possbile situation, knows exactly what we did the last time we were in a certain formation, and will do just the opposite the next time we're in that same formation. He'll give the defense a million different looks, then when he gives you the same look again, he'll run a different play from it, and not get into any predictable pattern. He's great at that.

What he's not so great at is adjusting to defenses, adapting to changes in his own personnel, matching play to actual personnel on the field (as opposed to personnel package), and recognizing which of the million plays is or isn't working.

When we go 3 TE with Procter pulling, and Barber gains 35 yards, I'd like to see us do it again. Preferrably soon afterwards. But you know it will be a while before that formation comes up again, and when it does, we probably we won't run from it anyway. And by the time we get back to it and do actually run, we've lost whatever rhythm we would have had if we'd just run it twice in a row.

fortdick

Reaction score
After reading everything here and in the news, and watching the past season and a half, I have to ask a question:

Did Jerry screw up by keeping Garrett?

First, I think he is a good coordinator and will make a fine HC someday. But, I think that he is not as flexible as he could be. It reminds me of Sean Peyton's first year in NO. Everything was new and shiny and the team played over its head. Last year our offense was awesome, but just like Peyton, once the league got film and picked up the tendencies, they learned how to defend it.

I am just wondering if Wade has given up. After the Arizona loss, he must have known his back was to the wall. He is trying too hard not to give Jerry any reason to fire him and that includes coddling the players so there would be no complaints. Not making anyone angry and expecting that his popularity would save his job.

Wade can't piss off TO, or Ellis, or any other high profile player for fear that Garrett will just gain an advantage. As a result, Wade is coaching scared. Scared means tentative. Tentativeness wears off on the team and can effect attitude. Attitude is pretty much the difference between a winner and a loser. I you are afraid to be aggressive, you won't make great plays. You will give the underneath stuff to keep from being burned deep. You will not crash a gap for fear that you might over pursue.

Jerry has Wade on his heels by keeping Garrett. The team's attitude reflects the coach's attitude.