The Ice Bowl record could be threatened on Saturday

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
Remember working 2 weeks in Wisconsin, an hour from Green Bay. That one week the highest temp was single digits one day with the rest being below 0. Well that one day we worked outside it was 34 below. That was crazy and cannot begin to tell you how cold it was. Could not wait to get back to NC.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Bills are offering 20 bucks an hour and free food to shovel out their stadium.

I'm holding out for a Josh Allen jersey.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Won't be the only one.

I live up in Michigan and this storm that is referenced in this tweet basically just finished moving through here last night

The biggest problem was it was a classic nor'easter type storm with a strong moist system from the southwest hitting a cold east wind. So we got a lot of snow and it was really slushy, heavy, wet snow. Shoveling it can give you a heart attack if you are not in decent shape. I had my wife and our kids out there working as an entire family to clear the heavy snow off our driveway and deck

Not sure if the colder air will take over more in Pittsburgh and Buffalo but if the storm for them is anything like what we had it's going to be a wet slushy snow which is actually worse for the players and fans because being cold is one thing, but being cold *and* wet at the same time is one of the most miserable things a human can endure for extended periods of time

Hopefully by game time the wet system will have mostly moved through and the colder drier air will be most prevalent by kickoff

If not it's going to be some ugly, ugly weather and field conditions

It'll be interesting to watch

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Miami should offer K.C. to come to their field so neither team has to suffer. Ticket prices have gone down to $50 baby. I'm painting my chest as I type.

Last edited:

Motorola

Reaction score
The Dolphins really fumbled the bag against Buffalo.

Had they won that game on Sunday, they would be playing the Steelers at home.

Now a team that plays in Miami has to go to KC and play the reigning champs in the coldest game ever
In my opinion it was the Dolphins home loss to the Titans that did them in.
Had Miami won that game, their record would have been 10-3.
Even going 2-2 like they did in the last 4 games, and Buffalo running the table after their bye...going 5-0, including beating the Dolphins...
Miami would've finished the season at 12-5 to Buffalo's 11-6.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Read some stories of the conditions for the Ice Bowl in 1967. Here are some weird facts from that game:
  • The temperature at kickoff was -13 with a wind chill of -30.
  • Most players didn’t wear gloves in those days and there were no heated benches.
  • Refs couldn’t use their whistles because they would stick to their mouths and had to shout that the play was over.
  • Several players on both sides got frostbite and suffered for years after that game as a result.
  • The grass field at Lambeau was frozen solid. It was like playing on a hockey rink and players struggled all day with footing.
  • Players commented that getting tackled on that field felt like being tackled on a concrete parking lot.
  • I still can’t believe how hardy the packers fans were. It was sellout and people stayed to the end.
The Ice Bowl loss was my first ”sports cry”. As a nine year old kid, I will never forget how sad I was when Bart Starr sneaked it. The packers were my first “hated team”.
I can relate. I just knew they would beat GB. Sigh.

JayFord

Reaction score
Now that ive calmed down

unless its dangerous conditions then you play football...

Cold 0 freezing weather means wear more clothes, if travel is dangerous to impossible then cancel

but i dont wanna hear no player complain about frigid weather because if thats all it is then go out there and play

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Inclement weather being part of the game isn't over until every stadium has a dome. Me personally, I kind of like it. I don't care if it hurts Miami. Too bad.
I dont care about the Dolphins... I just hate weather having any impact on the outcome of games. Playing in wind has a huge impact on throws downfield, and I just personally think that sucks.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Imo, the NFL should disallow most teams unless they have a covered stadium to play in.
The Chiefs had the chance too. A few years ago the league told them if they domed Arrowhead they would get a Super Bowl. It went on the ballot for an very small increase in the sales tax to fund it and the idiot fans in Kansas City voted NO. The estimated cost to cover Arrowhead was less than the city would have made off hosting a Super Bowl.

Flamma

Reaction score
I dont care about the Dolphins... I just hate weather having any impact on the outcome of games. Playing in wind has a huge impact on throws downfield, and I just personally think that sucks.
I would agree when the elements make the game unplayable, yet they still play. Remember back, probably over 10 years ago, the Dolphins played the Steelers in the ridiculous wind and rain in London. It ended 3-0. That wasn't a football game. I think playing in the elements is cool. But you still have to be able to play.

MS17

Reaction score
Read some stories of the conditions for the Ice Bowl in 1967. Here are some weird facts from that game:
  • The temperature at kickoff was -13 with a wind chill of -30.
  • Most players didn’t wear gloves in those days and there were no heated benches.
  • Refs couldn’t use their whistles because they would stick to their mouths and had to shout that the play was over.
  • Several players on both sides got frostbite and suffered for years after that game as a result.
  • The grass field at Lambeau was frozen solid. It was like playing on a hockey rink and players struggled all day with footing.
  • Players commented that getting tackled on that field felt like being tackled on a concrete parking lot.
  • I still can’t believe how hardy the packers fans were. It was sellout and people stayed to the end.
The Ice Bowl loss was my first ”sports cry”. As a nine year old kid, I will never forget how sad I was when Bart Starr sneaked it. The packers were my first “hated team”.
This is great. The league can use all the metrics, weather extreme stats they want to use to compare games to the Dec. 31, 1967 Ice Bowl. Fugghetaboudit.
that field of ice and polar conditions at Lambeau that day is legend. I still think it was a great privilege to be able to sit and watch that game on my RCA black and white TV that day.
And somehow the NFL and AP rate that as the "third greatest NFL game ever played." I suppose if the Cowboys had hung on to win that day it might have been a top ten game. Maybe.