CFZ The interesting similarities between Don Meredith and Dak Prescott

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
In January of 1969, at the age of 31, Don Meredith, the Dallas Cowboys’ first “star” QB shocked the sports world by announcing his retirement. I was 10 years old at the time and remember being shocked that Meredith did that. But much like the current Cowboys QB, Meredith had become unpopular with fans for not getting it done in the playoffs and after numerous injuries he felt his time was up.

In fact, I find it very interesting how similar the situation is today in 2024 to what happened after the Cowboys 1968 early exit from the playoffs

Don Meredith had led those 60s Cowboys from expansion team awful to making the playoffs 3 straight years including two heartbreaking losses to GB in the conference championship games in 1966 at the Cotton Bowl and in the Ice Bowl at Lambeau in 1967. Meredith’s last playoff game in 1968 ended in an embarrassing 31-20 loss to the browns in the first round.

Despite having a very good regular season record as a starter, Meredith ended up 1-3 in the playoffs, his one playoff win being a first round win against the Browns in ‘67 at the Cotton Bowl. In 1968, the Cowboys were 12-2, division winners, had made the playoffs 3 straight years, and looked like they were primed to go to another conference championship game. Then disaster struck in the first round and Meredith became the most polarizing guy wearing a star on his helmet.

Sound familiar?

Look at the similarities between Dak and Don Meredith:
  • In 2023, Dak was second team All Pro. In Meredith’s last season in ‘68, he was second team All Pro.
  • Meredith led the Cowboys to three straight playoff appearances - 1966, ‘67 and ‘68. But they only won one playoff game in those 3 years. Dak has led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight years, winning only one wild card game in the 2022 season.
  • Dak has been an overall excellent QB in the regular season the last 3 seasons, going 31-14 (Cooper Rush was 5-1 in that period when Dak was hurt). Meredith was 26-9 his last 3 seasons as a starter, but again 1-3 in the playoffs.
I don’t think Dak will do what Meredith did at the end of the 1968 season and announce his retirement. There’s too much money on the table for him compared to DM’s day. But if I were in Dak’s shoes, I would want to be traded. Meredith realized that despite it certainly not being all on him that those late 60s Cowboys couldn’t get it done, he did realize that the target on his back would only get larger.

Once the fan base turns on a QB, it becomes extremely difficult for that QB to push the restart button every season. I am NOT one of those that think all we need is a new QB and things will be rosy again. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think. But I do believe like Don Meredith came to realize, sometimes your period as QB of the Cowboys runs out. If I was #4 I would be looking for a new address.
So your saying we should trade for Zak Wilson? Gonna say it now....whoever has the balls to make that trade maybe getting the next Roger Staubach. 49ers are already looking....thinking he's gonna get cut...get him for nothing. Why not take a flyer....7th round ...on a guy that has talent? If you haven't followed jets football....their Oline was horrendous...

Reaction score
In January of 1969, at the age of 31, Don Meredith, the Dallas Cowboys’ first “star” QB shocked the sports world by announcing his retirement. I was 10 years old at the time and remember being shocked that Meredith did that. But much like the current Cowboys QB, Meredith had become unpopular with fans for not getting it done in the playoffs and after numerous injuries he felt his time was up.

In fact, I find it very interesting how similar the situation is today in 2024 to what happened after the Cowboys 1968 early exit from the playoffs

Don Meredith had led those 60s Cowboys from expansion team awful to making the playoffs 3 straight years including two heartbreaking losses to GB in the conference championship games in 1966 at the Cotton Bowl and in the Ice Bowl at Lambeau in 1967. Meredith’s last playoff game in 1968 ended in an embarrassing 31-20 loss to the browns in the first round.

Despite having a very good regular season record as a starter, Meredith ended up 1-3 in the playoffs, his one playoff win being a first round win against the Browns in ‘67 at the Cotton Bowl. In 1968, the Cowboys were 12-2, division winners, had made the playoffs 3 straight years, and looked like they were primed to go to another conference championship game. Then disaster struck in the first round and Meredith became the most polarizing guy wearing a star on his helmet.

Sound familiar?

• In 2023, Dak was second team All Pro. In Meredith’s last season in ‘68, he was second team All Pro.
  • Meredith led the Cowboys to three straight playoff appearances - 1966, ‘67 and ‘68. But they only won one playoff game in those 3 years. Dak has led the Cowboys to the playoffs 3 straight years, winning only one wild card game in the 2022 season.
  • Dak has been an overall excellent QB in the regular season the last 3 seasons, going 31-14 (Cooper Rush was 5-1 in that period when Dak was hurt). Meredith was 26-9 his last 3 seasons as a starter, but again 1-3 in the playoffs.
I don’t think Dak will do what Meredith did at the end of the 1968 season and announce his retirement. There’s too much money on the table for him compared to DM’s day. But if I were in Dak’s shoes, I would want to be traded. Meredith realized that despite it certainly not being all on him that those late 60s Cowboys couldn’t get it done, he did realize that the target on his back would only get larger.

Once the fan base turns on a QB, it becomes extremely difficult for that QB to push the restart button every season. I am NOT one of those that think all we need is a new QB and things will be rosy again. Dak is not as bad as way too many here think. But I do believe like Don Meredith came to realize, sometimes your period as QB of the Cowboys runs out. If I was #4 I would be looking for a new address.
Dandy was a great quarterback. He was beat up because of the offensive lines he played behind. He did let pressure in playoff games get to him. When Cleveland beat them in 68 I wasn't too happy with Dandy. Cleveland quarterback's wife bad mouthed Dandy pretty bad. Craig Morton was awful. Roger coming to Dallas may have helped Dandy to make up his mind. To see Dandy throw the bomb to Bob Hayes was beautiful. I went to the Cotton Bowl and became a die hard Cowboy fan.

ArtClink

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

Great post! I would have never thought about the parallels in their career. I will say Meredith at least had a football mind (Landry) making the football decisions unlike Dak playing for head coach Jones.

Dak and Romo both had a chance to get some playoff wins early in their careers but it wasn't meant to be, in large part to a defense that could not stop the Packers offense even on 4th and 35. Both QBs could have and should have won early playoff games but didn't get it done.

The pressure to win in Dallas, where we don't have a football mind making the football decisions loomed large over Romo and now Dak. Then there's the 28 year monkey on our back on winning a div playoff game and unrealistic expectations from our owner and head coach Jerry Jones who has refused to change his model of football management, winning be damned.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Danny White at least won some playoff games for us and took us to a championships 3 years in a row

Under todays rule a horse collar tackle on Drew Pearson would have been called on 9ers and potentially avoid the fumble sack on the next play as it may have given Septien a chance at a game winning FG

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you’re saying we should trade for Zak Wilson? Gonna say it now....whoever has the balls to make that trade maybe getting the next Roger Staubach. 49ers are already looking....thinking he's gonna get cut...get him for nothing. Why not take a flyer....7th round ...on a guy that has talent? If you haven't followed jets football....their Oline was horrendous...
LOL! What? ….How did the OP about similarities between the last 3 years of Dandy Don and Dak turn into we should trade for Zach Wilson? What a stretch. That might be the wildest conclusion I‘ve seen around here ever, lol.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

One of the best posts I have written in a long time here.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Then you never really read anything about Don Meredith. You seem to have this bedrock belief that its ALWAYS about the money despite steady examples over the years that is not always true.
Sports is about money. You can sell your naive fantasy somewhere else.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Theres no way Rush could win as many games as Dak, if he was that good he would be a starter somewhere else. Only Cowboys fans root against their team, every other fan base roots for their team.
Where did I say I wanted Dak to leave, or that he wasn't better than Rush? NOWHERE. I said Dak was a very good quarterback, you evidently missed that. Please re-read my post more carefully.

And under the scenario I put forth (based on IF Dak should leave, again NOWHERE did I say I wanted him to leave, I was just noting possibilities) Rush would run a different offense, one based on more conservative play calling than with Dak. And winning 8-9 games for a team with Parsons, Diggs, Bland, Lawrence, Lamb, Ferguson, et al is very possible. 9 wins means 8 losses, barely over .500, with the talent level spread out fairly evenly in the NFL, year to year there are always teams that are weaker than they were thought to be, whether that's due to injuries or whatever.

I've been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys since 1968, don't tell me who I root for, that's not for you to say....

GMO415

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

Bullet, here's the difference, back then men were confident and knew when to call it a day. Today, these guys are delusional and think they can turn it around after 9 years........

Blackrain

Reaction score
Good stuff,Bob. My favorite staff member:starspin:
I'll go on record as saying Bob's posts are the best thing we have in cowboy football right now.

His thoughtful analysis is the One shining light that keeps following this team not a total and complete frustrating mess.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

This was a great post and comparison bullet I was a little young to be sharp enough to analyze Meredith's play accurately but from what my uncle and grandfather said they really liked him and felt very sorry for him after the ice bowl.

There are certainly a lot of similarities between his situation and Daks I remember the team at that time being labeled next year's champions.
But in Meredith's defense he did go against the man whose names on the trophy in the worst weather conditions possible and I think he got us further in a time when football was much more difficult to play for the quarterback.

I think the rules are such now that they favor the quarterback and make it a lot easier for them to do well and somehow DAk seems to struggle in the early rounds of the playoffs where Meredith like Danny White took us much further.
I agree after the fans turn on a quarterback it takes a special Constitution to turn things around we will have to see if Dak can reach down deep and do this or if it's time for a change of scenery

Again great post thanks for keeping the off-season moving in such a positive direction with your analysis.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Sound familiar?

While that's interesting and some of it may be true,

this is a team game,

the team is losing in the playoffs and can't get past this proverbial hump because of the team, We are weak in so many spots people keep blaming the quarterback and I get tired of hearing it!​
now I go see a post out Danny white is underrated and needs to have respect :facepalm: are you kidding me?? just see this guys numbers don't tell me it was era based when you have an upside down touchdown interception ratio IN THE PLAYOFFS, that would never fly here.. he was one of the worst quarterbacks out of the top 5 really good ones that we've had... when you look at his stats he was carried by a great run game, a great coaching staff, and a great defense... period end of story.​
that's why it's a team game yeah Danny white fell short in championship games because the truth is he wasn't good enough he was causing the team to play past his mistakes... And yeah he somehow gets credit for that because they been to three straight championship games and lost and that he's underrated!! no he was a really good quarterback on a great team, I don't see it any different than some of the guys we talk about like Trent dilfer, Brad Johnson, and some of the others who just happened to catch fire on a great team and at least they won a Super Bowl; Danny white that thread is a joke this man like we saw some other players recently like Matthew Stafford led the league in interceptions had two interceptions in the Super bowl somehow win ,he's getting credit in year 13 for winning a Super Bowl when literally his team was able to overcome his mistakes because hey let's be honest I've never seen even Troy or Roger carry this team in the playoffs...​
They had the benefit of a strong run game ,an offensive line, a great coaching staff ,and a defense that showed up in the playoffs... they were never asked to carry the team they literally have the things that Prescott and Romo has never had in a playoff game, not in the second round ,not I can ever remember a great run game and a strong offensive line and a defense all show up with a great game plan and some great play calls in a game in these big games...​
you're blaming our quarterbacks for losing while our other quarterbacks had the benefit of a much better team and coaching staff for support... yeah when we say that Prescott &Romo needs more support this place says yeah because they're Jags because they're average players who need a loaded team umm​
you mean like Nick Foles winning a Super Bowl you mean that kind of support? brady throwing 3 picks in a NFCCG and they win, manning not having the best games with Denver but winning, I mean that is what a team is about you have to have a great team show up in the big games and our last two quarterbacks have knocked.​

blueblood70

Reaction score
Where did I say I wanted Dak to leave, or that he wasn't better than Rush? NOWHERE. I said Dak was a very good quarterback, you evidently missed that. Please re-read my post more carefully.

And under the scenario I put forth (based on IF Dak should leave, again NOWHERE did I say I wanted him to leave, I was just noting possibilities) Rush would run a different offense, one based on more conservative play calling than with Dak. And winning 8-9 games for a team with Parsons, Diggs, Bland, Lawrence, Lamb, Ferguson, et al is very possible. 9 wins means 8 losses, barely over .500, with the talent level spread out fairly evenly in the NFL, year to year there are always teams that are weaker than they were thought to be, whether that's due to injuries or whatever.

I've been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys since 1968, don't tell me who I root for, that's not for you to say....
There is not a scenario where Cooper rush would win 8 to 9 games the way this team's been playing especially last season, he had no chance of winning a lot of those games that Prescott actually did carry the game with no run game the defense wasn't good I mean see Seattle, and also among other games where there just was no support Cooper rush, only won those games because the defense played out of their mind the offensive line and run game was actually there we had special plays being made by the special teams, that man is more of a Jag than you want to admit..

he's getting credit only by the Cowboys fan base you know why we know this not at GM in the world pick this dude up off of practice squad or free agency the only option he had even with our wonder boy Kellen Moore going to the chargers and he didn't even get a sniff from them, not even for a backup job, this man has had zero interest around the league in a quarterback starved league... if that tells you anything that you're overrating Cooper rush and I agree with whoever you're arguing with people have insinuated that if you just look at the pay scale and the stress is putting on the salary cap that Cooper rush is better than Prescott... yes, many of you said that but you're using the wrong data, Cooper rush would not win 8 to 9 games in the scenario in which Prescott was able to be second team all pro second MVP voting last year still hasn't been part of a losing season.

Cooper rush is not even as good as Nick Foles there's no way unless the team played perfectly every game and kept the score below 17 points and yeah in the past we have seen teams that had that good of defense but you give that defense and run game to Prescott and we would win a Super Bowl see that's where you're going wrong you're thinking if they build a team so good that they can use a Jag like Cooper rush similar to like other teams that use Trent dilfer and Nick Foles and get to or win a Super Bowl with less talent at quarterback but you have to be extremely elite to do that if you do that you might as well keep Prescott because that's almost a guaranteed Super Bowl if you have a team play like that like they did for Cooper rush during those three games and Cooper rush did not look good in those games you guys can keep trying to convince yourself of that but he wasn't even a good bus driver he was not more careful with the football he literally was carried..

I think some of y'all need to go back and rewatch those games and you can see the Washington game he had two interceptions called back by penalty they still were interceptions he got lucky he fumbled the ball twice and the Rams game and only had 107 yards passing and he threw 3 interceptions in the Eagles game, literally could barely score a touchdown a game had our offense in the bottom 10 in every category and as soon as Prescott came back he launched our team into the top five on offense.. They played with the same team, The only exception is if you remember right when Prescott came back immediately the defense started suffering setbacks, giving up a lot of yards, starting to give up a lot of points actually two games like blew big leads literally not the same team play that Cooper rush was getting...​
Yes, most quarterbacks can win games if you give them an elite team on all three phases and yet Cooper rush could barely put up a touchdown with an elite team because yes, they were playing out of their mind for those first four games but that doesn't happen throughout a season, and it hasn't happened in quite a while for Prescott it didn't happen for Romo either...​

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What disrespect for Meredith to be compared to dog crap.
Z did you read the post? The headline may deceive.
Similarities between Dandy Don last 3 years and Dak’s last 3:
  • In their last season, both were 2nd team All Pro.
  • In their last three seasons- Dak 2021-23 and Meredith 1966-68 - both led their team to 3 straight playoff seasons.
  • In their last 3 seasons both were 1-3 in the playoffs.
  • In their last 3 seasons, both had good regular season records followed by playoff disappointment. Dak the last 3 regular seasons is 32-14. Meredith’s last 3 reg seasons he was 27-9.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There is not a scenario where Cooper rush would win 8 to 9 games the way this team's been playing especially last season, he had no chance of winning a lot of those games that Prescott actually did carry the game with no run game the defense wasn't good I mean see Seattle, and also among other games where there just was no support Cooper rush, only won those games because the defense played out of their mind the offensive line and run game was actually there we had special plays being made by the special teams, that man is more of a Jag than you want to admit..

he's getting credit only by the Cowboys fan base you know why we know this not at GM in the world pick this dude up off of practice squad or free agency the only option he had even with our wonder boy Kellen Moore going to the chargers and he didn't even get a sniff from them, not even for a backup job, this man has had zero interest around the league in a quarterback starved league... if that tells you anything that you're overrating Cooper rush and I agree with whoever you're arguing with people have insinuated that if you just look at the pay scale and the stress is putting on the salary cap that Cooper rush is better than Prescott... yes, many of you said that but you're using the wrong data, Cooper rush would not win 8 to 9 games in the scenario in which Prescott was able to be second team all pro second MVP voting last year still hasn't been part of a losing season.

Cooper rush is not even as good as Nick Foles there's no way unless the team played perfectly every game and kept the score below 17 points and yeah in the past we have seen teams that had that good of defense but you give that defense and run game to Prescott and we would win a Super Bowl see that's where you're going wrong you're thinking if they build a team so good that they can use a Jag like Cooper rush similar to like other teams that use Trent dilfer and Nick Foles and get to or win a Super Bowl with less talent at quarterback but you have to be extremely elite to do that if you do that you might as well keep Prescott because that's almost a guaranteed Super Bowl if you have a team play like that like they did for Cooper rush during those three games and Cooper rush did not look good in those games you guys can keep trying to convince yourself of that but he wasn't even a good bus driver he was not more careful with the football he literally was carried..

I think some of y'all need to go back and rewatch those games and you can see the Washington game he had two interceptions called back by penalty they still were interceptions he got lucky he fumbled the ball twice and the Rams game and only had 107 yards passing and he threw 3 interceptions in the Eagles game, literally could barely score a touchdown a game had our offense in the bottom 10 in every category and as soon as Prescott came back he launched our team into the top five on offense.. They played with the same team, The only exception is if you remember right when Prescott came back immediately the defense started suffering setbacks, giving up a lot of yards, starting to give up a lot of points actually two games like blew big leads literally not the same team play that Cooper rush was getting...​
Yes, most quarterbacks can win games if you give them an elite team on all three phases and yet Cooper rush could barely put up a touchdown with an elite team because yes, they were playing out of their mind for those first four games but that doesn't happen throughout a season, and it hasn't happened in quite a while for Prescott it didn't happen for Romo either...​

You're entitled to your opinion, but obviously we don't agree.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
LOL... Dak leading an expansion franchise to a winning record like Don Meredith... Of course, Dak is better than AIkman, let alone Meredith.. That's what this board tells me...
He didn’t lead an expansion team to the playoffs. After Don retired, Morton led the Cowboys to a SB and Staubach did it the next year.

Cowboys were an expansion team in 1960. Meredith was on the team from 1960-1968, and he became the starter in 1965. The Cowboys were 7-7. Don Meredith had a career 50.7% completion rate, throwing for 17,199 yards and 135 touchdowns with a lifetime passer rating of 74.8.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You're entitled to your opinion, but obviously we don't agree.
Actually most of that was 100% straight up facts and stats to back them...

go look at this games, like I said go rewatch the games look at the stat line look what unfolded in the games, you're going to find out that Cooper rush one of the most overrated players we have on our team,

he's solid he's not winning 8 to 9 games and the same scenario replayed last year.... There was a serious lack of a run game the defense was shaky and inconsistent the offensive line was all over the place and somehow Prescott keeps winning 12 games and you think that somehow Cooper Ross can play under those conditions and I'm telling you they can't the run game alone and the offensive line says it would be very different that's not an opinion go watch the damn games again..

And by the way again I don't like repeating myself but apparently the league agrees with me and most people with open eyes that are not anti Prescott just because of his money are not blaming Prescott for what's happened in the playoffs which by the way we would not make with Cooper rush but the league already spoke on how they feel about Cooper rush he would not make most teams third team... If if I was wrong he would have left this team last year when he was at full free agent didn't get one single offer... Some over here think this guy was Amy Dalton he's not even anywhere near as good as Andy Dalton and Prescott is better than Andy Dalton may not be a big gap but for sure he's better Cooper rush isn't even on Andy dalton's level..

It is clear it's not an opinion it's all fact based it's all stat based and it's how the other teams have never tried to poach Cooper rush in a starved league for quarterbacks.. Look at how many backups played last year it's somehow if this guy was any good at all he would have got some offers... Yes you are entitled to your opinion but in this case my opinion is not just some emotional response of what I feel it is literally all on paper it's all in the videos and it's all how the other leagues GM's didn't have never gone after Cooper rush he's been exposed to the practice squad he's been a free agent he's literally had no opportunities but here....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Actually most of that was 100% straight up facts and stats to back them...

go look at this games, like I said go rewatch the games look at the stat line look what unfolded in the games, you're going to find out that Cooper rush one of the most overrated players we have on our team,

he's solid he's not winning 8 to 9 games and the same scenario replayed last year.... There was a serious lack of a run game the defense was shaky and inconsistent the offensive line was all over the place and somehow Prescott keeps winning 12 games and you think that somehow Cooper Ross can play under those conditions and I'm telling you they can't the run game alone and the offensive line says it would be very different that's not an opinion go watch the damn games again..

And by the way again I don't like repeating myself but apparently the league agrees with me and most people with open eyes that are not anti Prescott just because of his money are not blaming Prescott for what's happened in the playoffs which by the way we would not make with Cooper rush but the league already spoke on how they feel about Cooper rush he would not make most teams third team... If if I was wrong he would have left this team last year when he was at full free agent didn't get one single offer... Some over here think this guy was Amy Dalton he's not even anywhere near as good as Andy Dalton and Prescott is better than Andy Dalton may not be a big gap but for sure he's better Cooper rush isn't even on Andy dalton's level..

It is clear it's not an opinion it's all fact based it's all stat based and it's how the other teams have never tried to poach Cooper rush in a starved league for quarterbacks.. Look at how many backups played last year it's somehow if this guy was any good at all he would have got some offers... Yes you are entitled to your opinion but in this case my opinion is not just some emotional response of what I feel it is literally all on paper it's all in the videos and it's all how the other leagues GM's didn't have never gone after Cooper rush he's been exposed to the practice squad he's been a free agent he's literally had no opportunities but here....
I would note, as many have pointed out, that Rush was 4-1 when Dak was out. I would also note that Dallas hasn't drafted yet, has players like Overshown who haven't yet got on the field and Diggs was out most of last year.

Don't be such a negative Nancy, how many people were all despondent when Romo got hurt in 2016 and - horrors! - Dallas had to go with a rookie 4th round pick at quarterback. And how many games did Dallas win that year?

Every season is different, you never know how it will turn out, to say there's "no way he's winning 8-9 games" is premature, at best.

Cheer up, maybe Dak will leave, and Rush will take over and go 0-17, so you can be happy your post was right!

Just kidding....