The Jets game was an aberration; these Cowboys are better than most think

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
(Personal attack #2, accuse folks of not being “real” fans)
Been here since 1980 bro, highs and lows.
I’m not one of the overly negative posters here, you should know that.
But there is one thing about this team that stinks and it’s infecting the players, the coaching just sux. JG is awful, and many of us here have seen it for years. Sorry you have to hear such negativity.

I'm going to quote another user Hot_Toddy who posted an very accurate account that I know you will be extremely surprised at the comparisons.

"Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Well, for Landry's first nine seasons:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

Just saying that in today's world; everyone wants instant gratification.

That Landry fella turned out to be a great one!

Sometimes, you just never know."

Lastly show me a definition from a recognizable dictionary where it states that fans publicly spew negative things about the thing they claim to be a fan of. I have post where I do that for teams that the Cowboys are playing that he just hate. So spewing negativity is now part of being a fan? There's a name for people that call themselves fans when their team is winning and then get negative when they lose and that's fair weather fans.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Look, this last game was just unusual: Penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed FG's. Everything that could go wrong; did go wrong. And it was frustrating!

We lost to "some darn old" QB...Errr I mean "SAM DARNOLD" QB.

But, you have to give the Jets credit. They had a sound game plan and came to play.

Now: Why do I call it an aberration?

If you would have made last weeks picks based on the higher ranked teams from Aikmans efficiency ratings you would have lost only 2 games.

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-5.aspx

The Two Exceptions:

1. Cowboys ranked at #3 lost to the Jets ranked at #30 (This is unusual)

Bucs ranked #14 lost to the Panthers ranked at #15 (This is not unusual. These two teams were ranked barely apart in overall efficiency).

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

We have an efficient team which equals success. Aikman has it right!

With that being said: I want to see them play as a TEAM. NEVER play as individuals.
Were the saints w/o there starting qb
And the packers at home abnormallys?
As parcels said you are what your record says you are
3 and 3 is average
And that pretty well describes this team

ghst187

Reaction score
I'm going to quote another user Hot_Toddy who posted an very accurate account that I know you will be extremely surprised at the comparisons.

"Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

Lastly show me a definition from a recognizable dictionary where it states that fans publicly spew negative things about the thing they claim to be a fan of. I have post where I do that for teams that the Cowboys are playing that he just hate. So spewing negativity is now part of being a fan? There's a name for people that call themselves fans when their team is winning and then get negative when they lose and that's fair weather fans.

so a lot of folks post negative stuff here to blow off frustrated steam, some folks post stuff construed as negativity because that’s their honest opinion and this is an opinion board. And then there some plain truths that just are....for example our team has grossly underachieved every year of JGs tenure and other teams make fun publicly of our kindergarten schemes.
It is what it is, like a big Cowboy family that has all types of personalities. Sometimes my kids get to spewing negativity about stuff but it doesn’t mean they don’t love their family.

and as for Landry.....different era of football, different game, different GMing....no salary cap, no free agency...
But one thing Landry did that JG had not, innovate. JG hasnt come up with anything, in fact the contrary.
We get laughed at by second year QBs because we do the same thing every time....(see Einstein’s def of insanity).
We were sold that JG went to Princeton so he’s a really smart guy, but yet he gets outsmarted constantly.
I’m honestly completely shocked anyone would try to defend him these days, I seriously think Dave Campo and Chan Gailey would do more with this roster and recent ones.

khiladi

Reaction score
Sounds like Hostile has returned with his Tom Landry snake-oil salesman routine...

Beaker42

Reaction score
Look, this last game was just unusual: Penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed FG's. Everything that could go wrong; did go wrong. And it was frustrating!

But, you have to give the Jets credit. They had a sound game plan and came to play.

If you would have made last weeks picks based on the higher ranked teams from Aikmans efficiency ratings you would have lost only 2 games.

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-5.aspx

The Two Exceptions:

Bucs ranked #14 lost to the Panthers ranked at #15 (This is not unusual. These two teams were ranked barely apart in overall efficiency).

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

With that being said: I want to see them play as a TEAM. NEVER play as individuals.
We’re only as good as our coaches so right now, we’re a bad football team. We’re not good on even one side of the ball.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
When healthy, playing up to our potential, and with neutral officials; I would agree that this is a very good team.

i would agree until you bring officials into it. If you watch objectively at all there are many games where our late rallies are aided too. In general officiating is horrible but the constant harping here is sour grapes

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You have got to be joking. Why do you young guys even bother posting on eras you've only read about. So many fallacies in your comparison that its barely worth the effort but i'll start with Landry started with an expansion team in era of no free agency. Think about that for a few minutes before you begin spewing more trash.

The idea that hanging onto Garret is going to turn him into Landry might be the dumbest opinion ever expressed on this board.

sideon

Reaction score
The Jets are a pretty good team with Sam Darnold. They have been without Sam for most of the year.
Whenever you have to hype up another team to justify a loss that usually means that you're not a very good team.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
so a lot of folks post negative stuff here to blow off frustrated steam, some folks post stuff construed as negativity because that’s their honest opinion and this is an opinion board. And then there some plain truths that just are....for example our team has grossly underachieved every year of JGs tenure and other teams make fun publicly of our kindergarten schemes.
It is what it is, like a big Cowboy family that has all types of personalities. Sometimes my kids get to spewing negativity about stuff but it doesn’t mean they don’t love their family.

and as for Landry.....different era of football, different game, different GMing....no salary cap, no free agency...
But one thing Landry did that JG had not, innovate. JG hasnt come up with anything, in fact the contrary.
We get laughed at by second year QBs because we do the same thing every time....(see Einstein’s def of insanity).
We were sold that JG went to Princeton so he’s a really smart guy, but yet he gets outsmarted constantly.
I’m honestly completely shocked anyone would try to defend him these days, I seriously think Dave Campo and Chan Gailey would do more with this roster and recent ones.

Here's what I find funny, not ha ha funny, is that of all the players who have played for Garret and all the coaches that have worked for Garrett there have been only 1 player who have said anything bad about Garrett. Here's the funny part BUT it seems people who have never spent even a split second in the NFL and had ANY direct contact with Garrett can on a daily basis spout how bad he is as a coach. The players take the blame saying they did not execute and that is why they lost. So you keep your ripping of Garrett and I'll keep thinking of all those split seconds you've never had any first hand contact with the man.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You have got to be joking. Why do you young guys even bother posting on eras you've only read about. So many fallacies in your comparison that its barely worth the effort but i'll start with Landry started with an expansion team in era of no free agency. Think about that for a few minutes before you begin spewing more trash.

The idea that hanging onto Garret is going to turn him into Landry might be the dumbest opinion ever expressed on this board.

Young guy - thanks. I ve been a Cowboys fan since the very first day they've been around, Jan. 28, 1960.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young guy - thanks. I ve been a Cowboys fan since the very first day they've been around, Jan. 28, 1960.

If true, you should know better, young man. lol

Garret and Landry may share the same head coaching gig, but the comparison pretty much ends there.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If true, you should know better, young man. lol

Garret and Landry may share the same head coaching gig, but the comparison pretty much ends there.

As great as Landry was and discounting the 1st 4 years when they were an expansion team, Landry had a stretch where he had 3 losing seasons in a row. Garrett has never had back to back losing seasons. In fact he only has 2 losing seasons and 1 of those was a injury decimated season that included Romo.

Again thanks for giving me that same compliment of being young again.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As great as Landry was and discounting the 1st 4 years when they were an expansion team, Landry had a stretch where he had 3 losing seasons in a row. Garrett has never had back to back losing seasons. In fact he only has 2 losing seasons and 1 of those was a injury decimated season that included Romo.

Again thanks for giving me that same compliment of being young again.

Uh Landry had the team the NFL title game in 66'. He was an innovator. The man literally invented the 4-3 defense.

Garret was 8-8 3 years in a row which should have been losing seasons if not for a few meaningless wins at the end. We are 10 seasons in and he's got 2 playoff wins in the wild card round. Innovator? hardly. The fact is that JG was a mediocre QB coach in Miami who Jerry Jones took a shine too. He's been gifted every opportunity he's had as a coach by Jerry Jones. He's earned nothing. Should have been fired in 2009 along with Wade.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say aberration. It just shows how mediocre this coaching staff is. On the field, the Cowboys are superior. On the sidelines and under the headset Dallas is below average. That is why the NO & Jet losses sting so much. Bad coaching, preparation, & gameplans.

Someone mentioned earlier the reasons Dallas is so successful with division opponents because they’re so familiar with them. There’s little change in coaching & preparation because you use what already works. Play an unfamiliar opponent and you get games like the Jets. I think that’s a very valid point to consider.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
I wouldn’t say aberration. It just shows how mediocre this coaching staff is. On the field, the Cowboys are superior. On the sidelines and under the headset Dallas is below average. That is why the NO & Jet losses sting so much. Bad coaching, preparation, & gameplans.

Someone mentioned earlier the reasons Dallas is so successful with division opponents because they’re so familiar with them. There’s little change in coaching & preparation because you use what already works. Play an unfamiliar opponent and you get games like the Jets. I think that’s a very valid point to consider.

I 1000% agree^^^

jsb357

Reaction score
Whenever you have to hype up another team to justify a loss that usually means that you're not a very good team.

I guess we will see tonight what kind of team the Jets are.

Maybe it will turn out the Jets are better than "Dallas fans" expected.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

The Two Exceptions:

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

5his is funny.

It makes me laf.

ghst187

Reaction score
Here's what I find funny, not ha ha funny, is that of all the players who have played for Garret and all the coaches that have worked for Garrett there have been only 1 player who have said anything bad about Garrett. Here's the funny part BUT it seems people who have never spent even a split second in the NFL and had ANY direct contact with Garrett can on a daily basis spout how bad he is as a coach. The players take the blame saying they did not execute and that is why they lost. So you keep your ripping of Garrett and I'll keep thinking of all those split seconds you've never had any first hand contact with the man.

Ask every QB who’s played against him. I’m sure it’s easy to like him, he’s personable to them, he just still follows a very outdated coaching philosophy and is often terrible at most aspects of preparation, strategy, adjustments, and game management but cling to your fantasy if it makes you feel better.
after seeing the Amazon series it really looks to me like he is nothing but a clapper and more a chief of staff over the coaches...vs a coach that gets involved in any Xs and Os, which means we can plug in howdy doody and get similar results.