The Jets game was an aberration; these Cowboys are better than most think

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Well, for Landry's first nine seasons:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

Just saying that in today's world; everyone wants instant gratification.

That Landry fella turned out to be a great one!

Sometimes, you just never know.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Closest coach to Landry is Belichick. They coach with what they have and use the strengths they have that week to the weaknesses of the other team ( I put Reid in same group). The gameplan is changed each week according to the team they will play and in game if necessary. Garrett needs 22 stars and feels if a game plan if executed properly its all you need. He coaches like Chip Kelly (not to mock Kelly-it was his style).
Garrett will say we want to highlight Zeke. Landry would say our opponents #1 cb was out so we came out testing the replacement. When they started giving him help we played to the weakness created by the help. Landry was always thinking. Garrett just executes a plan.
I disagree with the cap statement. Yes it is a harder and a hurdle but Beliichik/Reid is your proof that good coaching can still overcome the cap handicap. The cap leaves every team with a weakness. Play to that weakness-Garrett wont/cant do that
Problem is (as stated many times here) a good coach becomes obvious to the fans and will get the credit which Jerry cant handle.
Switzer sucked. He was sitting on his couch at home and was offered the job. His heart was never in it. Even Aikman said he changed from college to pros.
Jimmy/Parcells got to much credit from Jerry.
We have a good team. A good coach would have us looking a lot better

You absolutely make some good points in this post Fred. Good Post! Even if I partially agree to disagree with my previous agreement regarding the cap. :)

Regarding my Cap Statement: In this era. It would be a rare occasion for me to give #1 draft picks away for a WR or pay too much for one.

At that point of time (Near the end of the Aikman era). I would have had Brees on the Cowboys instead of Quincy Carter. If memory serves me well, we gave up a #1 or two for WR prior to that draft. I was shocked Brees fell to round 2 that year.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
:laugh: 24th season with getting to the NFCC, let alone a SB. Anyone who follows this team at all has exercised far more patience than reasonable.

Some Cowboys fans who have endured this much patience may have become patients. And I thought the long stretch between the '79 season and '92 season was rough! Geesshhh

I'll look at the positive. The Dallas Cowboys have aged like a fine wine for the last two decades. Time for us to pop the cork off of that bottle and enjoy it by winning a SB.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Look, this last game was just unusual: Penalties, injuries, dropped passes, missed FG's. Everything that could go wrong; did go wrong. And it was frustrating!

We lost to "some darn old" QB...Errr I mean "SAM DARNOLD" QB.

But, you have to give the Jets credit. They had a sound game plan and came to play.

Now: Why do I call it an aberration?

If you would have made last weeks picks based on the higher ranked teams from Aikmans efficiency ratings you would have lost only 2 games.

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-5.aspx

The Two Exceptions:

1. Cowboys ranked at #3 lost to the Jets ranked at #30 (This is unusual)

Bucs ranked #14 lost to the Panthers ranked at #15 (This is not unusual. These two teams were ranked barely apart in overall efficiency).

THE SHIP ISN'T SINKING!

We have an efficient team which equals success. Aikman has it right!

With that being said: I want to see them play as a TEAM. NEVER play as individuals.
The ship is sinking and Garrett and Dak are moving the lounge chairs around while Zeke and Lawrence are sitting down smoking cigars!

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
Historically we had played horrible against the Jets in the past four games we played them I think we won one and that was in Dallas if I'm not mistaken but I could be

Good point. CB 61 . If you look back at my posts you'll find that I had a feeling about that game. Except the Jets O-Line. I thought we could exploit that.

Ignore my "just for fun games": I always give the Cowboys opponents "0's"/goose-eggs in those. Until we finally DO shut someone out. I've been waiting for that.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
The ship is sinking and Garrett and Dak are moving the lounge chairs around while Zeke and Lawrence are sitting down smoking cigars!

Had to give you a like for you Avatar.

But this ship isn't sinking.

This ship was made in America.
Quality that lasts even after taking some beatings: America's Team! :star:

I'll guess the 4 staff/players you mentioned above all have great games.

ghst187

Reaction score
You couldn't be more wrong. Every year I hope the Cowboys win the Super Bowl but if they don't I don't turn into a fair weather fan and start a bunch of negativity. Tell me does all of the negative posts change a single tiniest of things with the Cowboys? No, all it does is show that someone who claims to be a fan really isn't a fan all the time. The name for that is fair weather fans.

(Personal attack #2, accuse folks of not being “real” fans)
Been here since 1980 bro, highs and lows.
I’m not one of the overly negative posters here, you should know that.
But there is one thing about this team that stinks and it’s infecting the players, the coaching just sux. JG is awful, and many of us here have seen it for years. Sorry you have to hear such negativity.

Hadenough

Reaction score
I dont believe in what Bill Parcells says about your record. The Cowboys were a fraud at 3-0. And people around here were laughing and calling Buffalo a fraud.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I dont believe in what Bill Parcells says about your record. The Cowboys were a fraud at 3-0. And people around here were laughing and calling Buffalo a fraud.

You don't believe teams are what their record says they are?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
The NFL is a week to week league. That’s the nature of football where there’s one game per week with lots of time to prepare, lots of injuries, and lots of opportunities for a funny shaped ball to bounce your way or not (metaphor).

It seldom matters if the opponent is the worst in the league based on last week or the best. Every game is its own little battle that any team can win.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
You don't believe teams are what their record says they are?
Yes, but only the previous week. Last year when we were 3-5, that’s what we were, a very bad team. At the end of the year, we were also what our record said we were, a very good team, a hot team that no one wanted to face.

CB61

Reaction score
Good point. CB 61 . If you look back at my posts you'll find that I had a feeling about that game. Except the Jets O-Line. I thought we could exploit that.

Ignore my "just for fun games": I always give the Cowboys opponents "0's"/goose-eggs in those. Until we finally DO shut someone out. I've been waiting for that.
The one that sticks out in my mind as we were leading and Romo throws two interceptions and the Jets score to beat us we had that game in the bag

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We’re on a 3 game losing streak and you’re calling the last loss an “aberration?”

Exactly. And the other 2 losses were to a middling backup QB and at home where you got your doors blown off before a futile comeback made it loom deceivingly closer than it was.

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
You're a really delusional homer. We could lose by 30 against new England.

And then they better beat the Giants after the bye, but they lost to the Jets so you know that game in NY is no gimme.

Then it's the Vikings, Lions and Patriots, that could all be losses, especially at Detroit and at New England.

Then Bills, at Bears, Rams and at Eagles. All will be tough late season games, especially if the Bills and Bears are still in it to make the playoffs, and as it looks now, that could be the case.

They finish with the Skins, but, honestly, the Cowboys could be out of the playoff race. They could easily lose 2 out of 3 against the Vikings, Lions and Pats (if not all 3), and they could easily lose 3 of 4 against the Bills, Bears, Rams and Eagles.

The schedule is tough. With this lackluster coaching staff and their vanilla schemes on both sides of the ball, every game is going to be a challenge deep into the 4th quarter (hec, the Cowboys could get blown out early in a few, like against Green Bay)....and I simply don't trust this kicker nor this defensive philosophy in close games.

The ship may fully sink this year (could easily end up at 7-9 or worse). If so, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. Then, Jerry's making some major changes, his patience will have run out.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
In the last 3 games the offense has scored 47 points in the 2nd half.
A grand total of 9 in the 1st half.
That is not a good team no matter how much you try to spin it.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Patience is a virtue. If the internet existed during the beginning of the Tom Landry era:

Well, for Landry's first nine seasons:

Landry was well below .500, had several losing seasons, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. And then greatness was born.
JG is above .500, had only 1 losing season, made the playoffs 3 times and never got to the SB. Yet.

Just saying that in today's world; everyone wants instant gratification.

That Landry fella turned out to be a great one!

Sometimes, you just never know.

This is simply delusion , plain and simple ; it's like believing if you drank different color paints , you're going to start crapping Skittles.....................