The Jets game was an aberration; these Cowboys are better than most think

ghst187

Reaction score
Here's what I find funny, not ha ha funny, is that of all the players who have played for Garret and all the coaches that have worked for Garrett there have been only 1 player who have said anything bad about Garrett. Here's the funny part BUT it seems people who have never spent even a split second in the NFL and had ANY direct contact with Garrett can on a daily basis spout how bad he is as a coach. The players take the blame saying they did not execute and that is why they lost. So you keep your ripping of Garrett and I'll keep thinking of all those split seconds you've never had any first hand contact with the man.

courtesy poster Bobhayes....

Jason Garrett is exactly what his record says he is...A good coach against bad teams, a below avg coach against good teams, especially in the playoffs.
  • Garrett’s Record against teams at or below .500: 56-14 (80% winning percentage)
  • Garrett’s Record against teams above .500: 25-45 (36% winning percentage)
  • Garrett’s Record in the playoffs: 2-3 (40% winning percentage)
Translation- Jason Garrett has been successful against bad teams, but not against good ones. In the games that have mattered the most, he has been 27-48. This year is all about him changing that awful trend in the playoffs or he should be gone.

As the Big Tuna famously once said, “You are what your record says you are.”

I’ll never be convinced JG didn’t have talented to very talented teams and many of those losses he was beaten by lesser talented teams. So enjoy....

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Uh Landry had the team the NFL title game in 66'. He was an innovator. The man literally invented the 4-3 defense.

Garret was 8-8 3 years in a row which should have been losing seasons if not for a few meaningless wins at the end. We are 10 seasons in and he's got 2 playoff wins in the wild card round. Innovator? hardly. The fact is that JG was a mediocre QB coach in Miami who Jerry Jones took a shine too. He's been gifted every opportunity he's had as a coach by Jerry Jones. He's earned nothing. Should have been fired in 2009 along with Wade.

Nobody including me has said that Landry wasn't a great coach and innovator. As great as Landry was he didn't have to worry about free agency or a salary cap. Landry got to build his teams and then didn't have to worry about losing any stars to free agency and having other teams bidding for his players raising up those players coasts. Unfortunately for the Cowboys, Jones paid his starters well and also paid the backups like starters so when the cap started it put the Cowboys in cap hell that lasted until last year. No team has had the cap or lack of cap room like the Cowboys since it started.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Ask every QB who’s played against him. I’m sure it’s easy to like him, he’s personable to them, he just still follows a very outdated coaching philosophy and is often terrible at most aspects of preparation, strategy, adjustments, and game management but cling to your fantasy if it makes you feel better.
after seeing the Amazon series it really looks to me like he is nothing but a clapper and more a chief of staff over the coaches...vs a coach that gets involved in any Xs and Os, which means we can plug in howdy doody and get similar results.

Here's how foolish you sound. He was an NFL QB and you seem to think that he doesn't know the Xs and Os? Really? Also why is that players have said publicly after a loss that they didn't play well or didn't execute and yet you see to think it's Garrett that is doing the blocking, tackling, passing and running. If he's such a bad coach why is it that there's only been 1 former player to talk bad about him? If he was so bad every player who played for him and left would be ripping on him but that hasn't happened. I get it that you don't like Garrett but your dislike or hatred has blinded you to reality.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
courtesy poster Bobhayes....

Jason Garrett is exactly what his record says he is...A good coach against bad teams, a below avg coach against good teams, especially in the playoffs.
  • Garrett’s Record against teams at or below .500: 56-14 (80% winning percentage)
  • Garrett’s Record against teams above .500: 25-45 (36% winning percentage)
  • Garrett’s Record in the playoffs: 2-3 (40% winning percentage)
Translation- Jason Garrett has been successful against bad teams, but not against good ones. In the games that have mattered the most, he has been 27-48. This year is all about him changing that awful trend in the playoffs or he should be gone.

As the Big Tuna famously once said, “You are what your record says you are.”

I’ll never be convinced JG didn’t have talented to very talented teams and many of those losses he was beaten by lesser talented teams. So enjoy....

If Parcels saying was 100% true then there would be no wildcard teams to win the Super Bowl because their record isn't as good as division leader's records and your record says what you are. In those cases their record was worse than division leaders and therefore should get beat by them.

Cmac

Reaction score
That aberration is an L in the loss column. No excuse for last week's performance at all. Last year's 23-0 shellacking to the Colts and the Jets loss are unacceptable between determining contenders vs pretenders. Aberration is an excuse, just like the injuries have been.

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
As great as Landry was and discounting the 1st 4 years when they were an expansion team, Landry had a stretch where he had 3 losing seasons in a row. Garrett has never had back to back losing seasons. In fact he only has 2 losing seasons and 1 of those was a injury decimated season that included Romo.

Again thanks for giving me that same compliment of being young again.

I'm not a dinosaur yet but I'll take that as a compliment of being young again too! Thanks whichever poster said that :)

Actually JG only had 1 losing season. He was 5-3 after taking over as the interim coach.

Also, his one losing year was the only season he EVER finished last in the division. Note: Romo was injured that year.

But, back to the original post in this thread:

Aikman is laser-accurate when he points to efficient teams. Look up the long history.

Good teams and coaches are efficient. And the Cowboys are right near the top in efficiency. I called the Cowboys/Jets game an aberration because a highly efficient team (Cowboys) lost to a team with very low efficiency (Jets).

http://aikman.com/AikmanEfficiencyR...man-Efficiency-Ratings-2019-As-of-Week-6.aspx

Before the Cowboys vs Eagles game: Here are the efficiency rankings:

Cowboys:

Overall: Ranked #3
Offense: Ranked #2
Defense: Ranked #12

Eagles:

Overall: Ranked #8
Offense: Ranked #7
Defense: Ranked #10

The more efficient team won (The Cowboys).

Heck, just during the last 2 weeks, Aikman is throwing this efficiency ball with 79.1% accuracy. The more efficient teams have been winning over two-thirds of the time. He's been passing "this ball" for a very long time now with precision and nobody has been paying attention. Aikman is as accurate with this formula as he was passing the football.

Therefore: The Cowboys at a #3 efficiency rating are a great team. And are possibly higher in efficiency after the Eagles game!

I still stand by what I said years ago. The NFL should go with Aikman Ratings instead of just total yards.

Definition of aberration: a departure from what is normal, usual, or expected, typically one that is unwelcome. (i.e. Cowboys vs Jets).

ghst187

Reaction score
Here's how foolish you sound. He was an NFL QB and you seem to think that he doesn't know the Xs and Os? Really? Also why is that players have said publicly after a loss that they didn't play well or didn't execute and yet you see to think it's Garrett that is doing the blocking, tackling, passing and running. If he's such a bad coach why is it that there's only been 1 former player to talk bad about him? If he was so bad every player who played for him and left would be ripping on him but that hasn't happened. I get it that you don't like Garrett but your dislike or hatred has blinded you to reality.

How many NFCC appearances do we have? We’ve had the talent.
How often do we look out prepared and out schemed?
You are the only one that can’t seem to see it.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How many NFCC appearances do we have? We’ve had the talent.
How often do we look out prepared and out schemed?
You are the only one that can’t seem to see it.

No what I see is when the Cowboys lose it's EXTREMELY easy to look back at all of the plays where lineman misses a block and either Elliott is dropped for a loss or Prescott gets sacked or a penalty calls back a big play or a defensive lineman gets beat by the other teams offensive lineman which results in a big run for the other team or the defense makes a stop on 3rd down only to have someone on defense either take a late hit on the QB or gets called for PI or hands to the face giving the team a 1st and some momentum and drive down the field. In other words like many of the players say after losses it was because they didn't execute yet Garrett haters want to blame Garrett even thoogh players admit they didn't execute.

Shane612

Reaction score
You're only as good as your last game.
If cowboys struggle, or even lose, against nyg, we'll all be here having a pissing contest again.
:laugh:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You're only as good as your last game.
If cowboys struggle, or even lose, against nyg, we'll all be here having a pissing contest again.
:laugh:

Yes because there seems to be a lot of fair weather fans here.