The Jones family is lazy

freemanjc19

Reaction score
instead of using 11 draft picks wisely and drafting players their own scouts like they watched guys they cover go 1 or 2 picks ahead of them every rd,they are now using the shameful FA policy on the draft.

Lazy is so such an inappropriate word in the scenario.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Lazy is so such an inappropriate word in the scenario.

its the right word,how many of these no hopers in the late RDs will even make the practice squad? it would have taken a measly 5th rd pick to move up and grab Moehrig or even Williams in the 3rd rd but they are too lazy to even be bothered.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They are in it for the money,for that they will move heaven and earth but they couldnt care less about team building.
Now THAT is a lazy statement

They spend more on scouting, draft related technology, and overall eval than anyone.
They are very state of the art about all that stuff.

maybe they arent as good at it as we like, but you’re wrong about the commitment.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The title doesn't matter, why are you tripping over the name, you can give anyone the title, player acquisition is a collaborate effort.
Because accountability becomes even more diluted with this collab effort. approach.."wasn't me, wasn't them, well wasn't anyone "specifically" at fault" lol

stiletto

Reaction score
This is true, both in game decision making and now draft decision making has come into question.

So far I have to agree. He seems like Dave Campo Part Deux....I don't see much influence. I saw some Quinn influence in this draft and maybe that is a good thing but it seems to me he went unchecked.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Now THAT is a lazy statement

They spend more on scouting, draft related technology, and overall eval than anyone.
They are very state of the art about all that stuff.

maybe they arent as good at it as we like, but you’re wrong about the commitment.
Where did you get this info? If so, that's even more embarrassing tbh I was sure they went cheap too...but esp in Pro Scouting; no Free Agency signings or aggression ever.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
They sure as hell need to stop leaking their intentions.....round 3 was an abject failure...
I mean really, they didn’t say anything. It is the media that reports who goes to what pro day and how many they send. The media and fans then speculate that it translates into a lot of interest.

For instance, Pittsburgh had a few zoom meetings with Odighizuwa and sent a lot of folks to his pro day. Do they deserve to be laughed at because Dallas drafted him instead of them?

Hinestly, if you show interest in a lot of players doing your due diligence (like a team should)... then plenty of the guys your interested in are going to be drafted by other teams.

we knew they were interested in Surtain/Horn but that was mostly because every mock draft in the universe had one of them going to Dallas. The team didn’t let anything out of the bag there really.

As for Moehrig going right before the team... I don’t think they were going to take him anyway. They wanted a corner. They tried to trade to the top of the 2nd to pick Campbell CB out of Georgia but that fell through. I think they then targeted Joseph and that was their guy all along once Campbell went.

And if that is the case, then the team did a good job of keeping their interest in him undetected.

The same thing goes for Parsons. Nobody knew the team was so interested in him.

I think fans start zeroing in on players like Horn and Moehrig (because of media reports) and think that is the right pick for the team, when the team may or may not even really want those guys.

Then when they pick someone else, everybody screams that Dallas got pulled or let out too much info when they weren’t even trying to get the guy in the first place.

JMO.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
The Jones family is lazy? Say what you will.. But This Reaction Says It All. ------->:facepalm:
They sit out FA, don't pursue angles in the draft; just see who comes down the line...that is lazy.

Not having a plan and winging it...I would call that lazy most definitely.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Where did you get this info? If so, that's even more embarrassing tbh I was sure they went cheap too...but esp in Pro Scouting; no Free Agency signings or aggression ever.
They keep a data base on every scoutable college play and, literally, every single player in the NFL
Will Clay says they even have a value attached, so if theres a trade offer or they become available, they have their value.
They are totally obsessed.
Im not sure what people around here think they do.
Will McClay is provided enormous resources

What do you think the Cowboys “go cheap on?

The State of the art in-house physiology and kinesiology group?
Their own Sport Medicine Facility
World class film study department?
In-door Full stadium practice field
Two full field grass and turf practice fields?
They skimp on nothing

Look, if you don't like that aren't more active on the big ticket FAs, I get it.
They are dogged about retaining their own to a point that they overpay.
But its allin a broader framework.

We might not agree with how they do it, but they are nit lazy or cheap.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
there's a lot of things Im call Jerry and Stephen but lazy isnt one of them.
people have had to tie Jerry to his chair in the past to keep him from over reacting.
maybe they just wanted different traits and need salary cap bodies
no disrespect intended just an exchange of point of view

That doesn't mean hard working. That's impulsive.

rambo2

Reaction score
instead of using 11 draft picks wisely and drafting players their own scouts like they watched guys they cover go 1 or 2 picks ahead of them every rd,they are now using the shameful FA policy on the draft.
You might want to wait and see how it works out. However, you can claim that you never said this if it works out well.

plymkr

Reaction score
They sit out FA, don't pursue angles in the draft; just see who comes down the line...that is lazy.

Not having a plan and winging it...I would call that lazy most definitely.
I don't know if the word "lazy" is as accurate. I would go with "amateur". Nashon Wright is an amateur pick. He could have been selected way lower. It seems like they had a couple guys they wanted and they got snatched up so they went with plan B with Parsons and then let the draft dictate to them who they pick. So we needed a safety. Moehrig was there for the taking, We could have traded a 3rd and a fourth and moved up to get him. But we didn't and we held on to our picks hoping Moehrig would fall to us. He didn't and got selected a pick before us. So we could have traded one of our 3rds and moved up a spot to get him. So instead of Moehrig we got Nashon Wright.

This draft reminds me of the '94 draft and 95 draft. Just an overall amateur vibe to it. We let the draft dictate to us who we picked and didn't show much moxie. But on the positive side I see Parsons and Joseph panning out to be good players. Parsons might be our Larry Allen of the '94 draft. I got hope for those guys and overall hope that this draft will play out well. I'm holding judgement on the players until I see them play.

But the vibe I feel from the FO was an amateur vibe, kind of felt like this was Jerry's first draft and not his 30th. JMO

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
They keep a data base on every scoutable college play and, literally, every single player in the NFL
Theyafe totally obsessed.
Im not sure what people around here think they do.
Will McClay is provided enormous resources

What do you think the Cowboys “go cheap on?

The State of the art in-house physiology and kinesiology group?
Their own Sport Medicine Facility
World class film study department?
In-door Full stadium practice field
Two full field grass and turf practice fields?
They skimp on nothing
Free Agents mainly. Over signing your own to prove worthiness vs signing new blood; lazy and ego driven.

Where are you seeing the figures on $ spent on scouting vs other teams? And these luxuries (practice fields? and sports medicine facilities) are really pretty common place even in college D1 programs so this definitely isn't worlds apart.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I don't know if the word "lazy" is as accurate. I would go with "amateur". Nashon Wright is an amateur pick. He could have been selected way lower. It seems like they had a couple guys they wanted and they got snatched up so they went with plan B with Parsons and then let the draft dictate to them who they pick. So we needed a safety. Moehrig was there for the taking, We could have traded a 3rd and a fourth and moved up to get him. But we didn't and we held on to our picks hoping Moehrig would fall to us. He didn't and got selected a pick before us. So we could have traded one of our 3rds and moved up a spot to get him. So instead of Moehrig we got Nashon Wright.

This draft reminds me of the '94 draft and 95 draft. Just an overall amateur vibe to it. We let the draft dictate to us who we picked and didn't show much moxie. But on the positive side I see Parsons and Joseph panning out to be good players. Parsons might be our Larry Allen of the '94 draft. I got hope for those guys and overall hope that this draft will play out well. I'm holding judgement on the players until I see them play.

But the vibe I feel from the FO was an amateur vibe, kind of felt like this was Jerry's first draft and not his 30th. JMO
Good post...and you're right, I've used that term for the Jones family going on forever and have meant it both ways. That last sentence especially is true, it's not laziness at this point, it's just sad.

That sitting in the war room with no phone action to lose a good S prospect is more amateur in that they maybe don't realize just a little bit of work would go such a long way. But they got the pretty board they spent a lot of money constructing...they want to play house on draft day instead of sweating and filling the room with body odor.