The kind of players the Cowboys need but probably won’t get

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My advice to all free agents. Do not come here unless you want to play in Super Bowls or you're just going to end up miserable.

glimmerman

Reaction score
We can get the hard working players but the culture is to fancy. They get a contract and the perks get to there heads..

Blackrain

Reaction score
OBJ is a perfect example of guy this team doesn’t need. This culture is already full of guys who are more sizzle than steak.

I completely agree but I would take a chance on Ryan Jensen and DJ reader to make a dent in some of our problems not named Jerry

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Shots fired right off the bat in this forum lol.

Same post, different thread. Apparently, all was well with the Cowboys before Dak came along - I must have missed that 20 year run of greatness.

Some folks can't see the forest for the trees. Over 20 QBs have started a game for the Cowboys since Aikman. All we need is one more. :rolleyes:

Nexx

Reaction score
so glad the Cowboys by passed Deion Sanders and didnt Super Bowl with him. Same thing of the Rams. They must be so happy they passed on OBJ, oh wait...

RonWashington

Reaction score
When Bob Haze talks about Blue Collar types # 11 fits that to the tee . Now Will McClay needs to work some more late night film review to get some more help on both Oline and Dline come April .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Remember the Eagles & Giants have multiple number one picks in the draft and instead of Gettlemen and his mediocrity new eyes will be picking and you can’t count on playing Rutgers and Temple when visiting Jersey and Philly year after year .

Going to have to beat other teams then the broken Amtrak northeast corridor division come 2022 MM .

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
For decades, the Cowboys have intentionally fashioned their players as “stars” with more “sizzle” than steak. Jerry has even stated publicly that he likes that. And let’s be honest- jersey sales are as important to the Jones boys as actual wins on the scoreboard.

Too many Cowboys players over this same segment of time have been given huge contracts based mostly on their perceived value rather than playoff accomplishments. Many are talented and worthy of a second deal, but for every good contract, there’s a Jaylon Smith or Jay Ratliff or Miles Austin. Guys that had some talent but weren’t really great for the team’s development.

With that in mind, here’s the kind of players the Cowboys would really be better served in pursuing in free agency (I realize that unfortunately we probably won’t have much cap room this year to pursue many FAs)
  • Blue collar type guys more interested in being part of a team than being in a TV commercial. As hard working as they are talented.
  • Young, emerging players who are just now developing into a better player (not a big name but a guy who is emerging quietly into an excellent player)
  • Veterans who may be near the end of their careers but have tons of playoff experience and locker room leadership skills.
  • Playoff experience should be a major premium. Especially guys who have a SB ring.
Too many of our players somehow feel entitled when they don the star. I hope we get the new blood that can instill some “you guys haven’t done much of anything” into the room instead of “Who’s got the best shoe deal?”

This organization need a cultural flush. I think getting more guys in here that are hungrier for a ring than they are for a VIP room hook-up at a club because they are a Cowboys player is more of what we need.
True Bob, hope someday this will happen

lukin2006

Reaction score
My top 3

-a DT that stuffs the run and can get a push on pass plays
-a real burner on offense, multi purpose
-a Smith replacement at LT