The kind of players the Cowboys need but probably won’t get

willia451

Reaction score
Every year after not making the playoffs or getting erased in the first round of them, we say the same types of things.

And every year we get the same answer from Jerry.

04U04CG.gif

After 26 years, pretty clear everyone that remembers or participated in the 90s teams will be dust before anything really changes.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If we don't get a game changer at NT, nothing else we get matters.
Would be a good investment, we will be losing Edge Rushers and its easier to draft LB than it is to draft pass rushing DE, its a variating 4-3/3/4 already with sub packages.
Might just be what Quinn does, we will see who he covets come draft, and Quinn will have his influence on this draft.
How would everyone here feel if our first 4 picks were defensive picks?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
For decades, the Cowboys have intentionally fashioned their players as “stars” with more “sizzle” than steak. Jerry has even stated publicly that he likes that. And let’s be honest- jersey sales are as important to the Jones boys as actual wins on the scoreboard.

Too many Cowboys players over this same segment of time have been given huge contracts based mostly on their perceived value rather than playoff accomplishments. Many are talented and worthy of a second deal, but for every good contract, there’s a Jaylon Smith or Jay Ratliff or Miles Austin. Guys that had some talent but weren’t really great for the team’s development.

With that in mind, here’s the kind of players the Cowboys would really be better served in pursuing in free agency (I realize that unfortunately we probably won’t have much cap room this year to pursue many FAs)
  • Blue collar type guys more interested in being part of a team than being in a TV commercial. As hard working as they are talented.
  • Young, emerging players who are just now developing into a better player (not a big name but a guy who is emerging quietly into an excellent player)
  • Veterans who may be near the end of their careers but have tons of playoff experience and locker room leadership skills.
  • Playoff experience should be a major premium. Especially guys who have a SB ring.
Too many of our players somehow feel entitled when they don the star. I hope we get the new blood that can instill some “you guys haven’t done much of anything” into the room instead of “Who’s got the best shoe deal?”

This organization need a cultural flush. I think getting more guys in here that are hungrier for a ring than they are for a VIP room hook-up at a club because they are a Cowboys player is more of what we need.

You're right, of course, but there was a departure from that for a while, and for the better. The Cowboys started to prioritize their O-line, and by 2014 we had one of the best O-lines in the league. Combine that with a very good running back in DeMarco Murray, and they Cowboys were really good at running the ball. This took tremendous pressure off of Romo, who no longer had to carry the whole team on his back, and he had the best season of his career. The Cowboys still only had a competent defense, far from a great one, but it was enough for the Cowboys to come within one ridiculous rule/call away from the NFC Championship. We had a similarly great O-line and running game in 2016, allowing us to have another playoff season, this time with a rookie quarterback.

I'm still for doing it that way. I want this team to build back the best O-lines in the league. Magic can happen when you can open big holes and run the ball, and you can protect your QB on passing downs. The league has gone all pass happy, but I don't think we should do it like that. In a pass happy league, lots of teams tool their defense to being primarily pass defenses, permanently in the nickle, the dime, or some similar varation. If along comes a great running team, defenses have a hard time adjusting. I would much rather face the likes of Patrick Mahomes with a great line and great running game that can chew up time of possession, keeping him on the bench.