The Lance to Cropper Behind The Back Incomplete Pass

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For how long? MM may fight for someone else to have that 53rd slot. It's his final season coaching for the Cowboys anyway. You might find out that creates a coach that fights for what he wants rather than kissing the feet of THE MAN.
lmao...go get some sleep, the decision has been made, MM most likely signed off on it or not.

You are really getting scared about the QB competition.

The bold crap that you posted? What does that mean?

And the walls came down, all the way to hell,
never say them when they standing,
never say them when they fell.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
In other words, it was a hard pass for Cropper to catch but not impossible. Other receivers have both dropped and caught similar passes.

Understood. On the other hand, I have blamed all receivers who did not catch similar passes.

Yes it was. Thankfully, Lance did not throw it ten feet behind Cropper. That would have been an impossible throw for any receiver to catch..
I'm done. Arguing the probability of a poor throw being caught is too trivial to me. I leave it to you to be that petty.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Multiple things can be true at the same time.
1. The QB could have thrown a better ball
2. A better WR would have caught it anyway
3. A better DB intercepts it.

McMicah

Reaction score
I guess I don’t understand why there’s so much focus on this one play…We’ve seen Dak do this 100x. The ball gets behind sometimes. Sometimes the catch it, sometimes they dont

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm done. Arguing the probability of a poor throw being caught is too trivial to me. I leave it to you to be that petty.
lol at 'petty'. Football is a team sport. Players are individuals who make up teams. Each individual has an on-field responsibility.

Any difficult pass is hard to catch. It does not mean every difficult pass is impossible to catch. Automatically excusing any receiver not executing their responsibility, what professional receivers are paid to do in particular, anytime a pass is catchable, is petty in my opinion.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Now I am confused. What was confusing about the paragraph..?
You talk about ‘no receiver should be taken off the hook for passes they should catch’. That is why I responded to you as if you were saying it was a good pass.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Multiple things can be true at the same time.
1. The QB could have thrown a better ball
2. A better WR would have caught it anyway
3. A better DB intercepts it.
All true. Quarterback's responsibility is always throwing passes only his receivers can catch. A receiver's responsibility is catching any passes that are catchable (this exampe was). A defensive back's responsibility is catching passes they: a) get their hands in the path of the passed ball existing between the quarterback and receiver: b) have positioned themselves for receiving overthrown passes; or c) deflect or tip to themselves or teammates.

I do not try dwelling on defensive backs' responsibilities as often as I do receivers. It gives me headaches. Watching DBs drop passes they get their hands on grinds my gears.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
lol at 'petty'. Football is a team sport. Players are individuals who make up teams. Each individual has an on-field responsibility.

Any difficult pass is hard to catch. It does not mean every difficult pass is impossible to catch. Automatically excusing any receiver not executing their responsibility, what professional receivers are paid to do in particular, anytime a pass is catchable, is petty in my opinion.
At this point you would be on my ignore list if it were possible. I told you I'm done with the discussion but you insist on beating the dead horse. What's best for this forum? You making your point heard seems to be all that matters. Repeating it to the point of nausea doesn't make it better. I hear you, we just disagree. There is nothing wrong with that. Now it's time to disengage with me. I'll say it again, I'm done. Thanks for making my experience on this forum so pleasant. Yes, that was sarcasm.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You talk about ‘no receiver should be taken off the hook for passes they should catch’. That is why I responded to you as if you were saying it was a good pass.
It was me saying no receiver should be given an excuse for dropping passes they could have otherwise caught. Catchable passes are any-and-all passes that can be humanly caught.

I differentiate between passes thrown exactly where the ball should be placed--e.g. good passes--and passes that are not placed well but still catchable a.k.a. poor passes. I do not attribute ANY passes I just described as impossible passes. Maybe that is what I did not communicate well enough before.

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Stop accepting Trey Lance's inferior ball placement. That was a crap throw that shouldn't be caught, no fault of the receiver. TL does not belong on this team's 53.
Shouldn't be caught? Right, he tried to body catch it and if he was any good, he would have the instincts to use his hands and reach out for it in an attempt to properly catch the ball. Sure, the pass could have be placed better, but it was catchable. I'm sure Cropper would be the first to say it was catchable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point you would be on my ignore list if it were possible. I told you I'm done with the discussion but you insist on beating the dead horse. What's best for this forum? You making your point heard seems to be all that matters. Repeating it to the point of nausea doesn't make it better. I hear you, we just disagree. There is nothing wrong with that. Now it's time to disengage with me. I'll say it again, I'm done. Thanks for making my experience on this forum so pleasant. Yes, that was sarcasm.
... are you done?

Praxit

Reaction score
..yep that was catchable. It hit inside shoulder pad, just outside. So it went through his arms.

It was tough catch, but that's what separates good from avg receivers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess I don’t understand why there’s so much focus on this one play…We’ve seen Dak do this 100x. The ball gets behind sometimes. Sometimes the catch it, sometimes they dont
My focus is based on a sub-discussion in the game thread. Some members are constantly trying to shift the conversation to Lance, Prescott, etc., but it does not alter what any receiver should be capable of executing.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
All true. Quarterback's responsibility is always throwing passes only his receivers can catch. A receiver's responsibility is catching any passes that are catchable (this exampe was). A defensive back's responsibility is catching passes they: a) get their hands in the path of the passed ball existing between the quarterback and receiver: b) have positioned themselves for receiving overthrown passes; or c) deflect or tip to themselves or teammates.

I do not try dwelling on defensive backs' responsibilities as often as I do receivers. It gives me headaches. Watching DBs drop passes they get their hands on grinds my gears.
That's what makes having diggs and bland special as both are very capable of coming down with the ball.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

These kinds of plays can separate receiver from and ELITE receiver. I think Michael Irvin would be mad at himself for not catching that pass. Not making excuses.

PS: Not sure how Cropper felt about it...I guess I mean fans making excuses?