The Lane Johnson Controversy

TheGoat73

Reaction score
It’s been all over Twitter this week. Lane Johnson false starting on nearly every play. Eagles fans claim it’s a loophole and the RT is allowed to adjust his right leg. But Johnson’s whole body moves before the snap quite often.

I hope all the negative attention benefits us this weekend!

Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
My post from the other thread:

Here is an explanation from Lane Johnson himself. He looks at what he sees from Kelce and leg kicks based on that so it does appear he's moving before the ball because he is, but he's not moving before Kelce starts the snap. If what Kelce does before the ball actually moves is considered part of the snap, similar to the pump of a long snapper before launching the ball between his legs, it's not a false start. I have to think many teams have brought it up and that Johnson has talked to officials himself so he doesn't get called. What's funny is no one talks about how Guards, including Martin, point forward before the snap while set to signal to the Center to snap the ball and that's not considered a false start. Obviously, officials allow that move to benefit the OL. Maybe it's similar with Johnson. Would love to hear a ref weigh in on his move.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Here is an explanation from Lane Johnson himself. He looks at what he sees from Kelce and leg kicks based on that so it does appear he's moving before the ball because he is, but he's not moving before Kelce starts the snap. If what Kelce does before the ball actually moves is considered part of the snap, similar to the pump of a long snapper before launching the ball between his legs, it's not a false start. I have to think many teams have brought it up and that Johnson has talked to officials himself so he doesn't get called. What's funny is no one talks about how Guards, including Martin, point forward before the snap while set to signal to the Center to snap the ball and that's not considered a false start. Obviously, officials allow that move to benefit the OL. Maybe it's similar with Johnson. Would love to hear a ref weigh in on his move.

If that's the case, then why was Demarcus Ware always called for offsides for simply getting a good jump on the snap? I know...it's old but it always bothered me. Especially now, if what Johnson is saying is true.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's been no secret that he's done this for a few years now. The league hasn't had an issue with it, other Ts haven't replicated it, and defenses haven't picked up on what he's doing to get a jump then who should we really have an issue with?
IMO my big issue would be with other teams for not doing the same thing or figuring out what Johnson is going off of to get a better jump as well.

The other piece to this is that if your T gets a jump too much earlier than you G you create a gap that can be a huge rush lane on the inside.

Sydla

Reaction score

Yes this has been his explanation but then people on twitter have shown plays where Johnson is almost in his drop before the ball even moves. He's not the only OT that does this too as I have seen other do it. They have gotten so good at timing it that now, even when they clearly moved before the snap, the refs just let it go. Plus there appears to be a gray area where the rules say Johnson can adjust his foot back before the snap anyway although I suspect the intent of that rule wasn't to basically allow an OT, for example, to basically jump start his drop. There was an article in SI and they talked to Whitworth and Schwarz about it. Jason Peters has done it, David Baktari also used to use it from time to time.

The fact other OTs do it as well probably is a good indication that the NFL and the officials are OK with it. But yeah, it looks weird.

EGTuna

Reaction score
Who cares. They’re not going to call it. Dallas can win if Johnson jumps every snap. They need to mix up man and zone vs Brown and Smith and hopefully confuse Hurts at the LOs.

plasticman

Reaction score
You have got to believe that Jerry Jones and /or Mike McCarthy has some special person researching every little nuance, tendency, and personal habit of each opponent player, something that will allow them an advantage.

If they see what we see then you can bet the NFL offices have received a detailed report from another team. Regardless, they certainly know now. If they do nothing about this in the future then it is their opinion that what he does is legal. If not, we will discover this soon.

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
It’s been all over Twitter this week. Lane Johnson false starting on nearly every play. Eagles fans claim it’s a loophole and the RT is allowed to adjust his right leg. But Johnson’s whole body moves before the snap quite often.

Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.
He was called for a false start last week, and clearly it was a false start. I believe when he does false start the referees flag him just like any other offensive lineman. I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists that say he jumps early every snap, and the refs let him do it.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Look we need to do what nick siriani does or we watched the Seattle Seahawks coach just constantly being the ear of the referees about these things until they finally call it literally that's what Mike McCarthy 's goal should be this week is send the league 65 examples of why they're allowing this and it's illegal they're in the game have Mike McCarthy or somebody else bring it up on the sidelines during halftime during breaks show them some video they're letting them get away with something that literally is illegal... It's giving them a distinct advantage everyone thinks that lane Johnson somehow neutralizes Parsons well let's see first of all he gets away with a yard jump to get into the backfield which is huge against the pass rusher like Micah Parsons and they get away with holding all the time...

The squeaky wheel usually gets the grease correct it's not the old saying well they need to complain about this more I don't know how much they're sending the league but game day I mean you see what the Seahawks coach did all game he chased the referee up and down the field and look at how many penalties got called that game...

Creeper

Reaction score
Most of the explanations for Johnson's false starts are from Eagles fans, writers, or apologists.

Here is the rule: "It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

Lane Johnson's leg kick, as they call it, is the beginning of his backpeddle. It is absolutely the simulation of the start of the play. If he does this before the center moves the ball to snap it, then it is absolutely a false start and should be flagged. There is no exception to this rule as Eagles fans claim. As we have seen many times, even the slighted move before the snap by an offensive linemen once the line is set results in a false start. It is ridiculous to argue that a center or even running back who wobbles less than an inch commits a penalty but Lane Johnson moving his back leg up into the air before the snap is not.

I would love to know why the league does not throw a flag on him when he does this.

At the same time, I wonder if his leg kick tips off the defense that a pass is coming. Does he do this every play or just on pass plays. Seems to me if a run is called his first step would be different.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If his leg movement causes a DL to come across the LOS based on that movement, as to simulating the start of the play. Should Johnson be called then, and not an offsides?
It can be looked at as a deceptive move?

I am not sure, so just asking what the rule book states in that situation.

Actually I got so used to it now, I don't even think to look at him on any play to see if actually a false start. But it is very noticeable even when not looking for it.

I see many teams RG do the pointing thing that Martin does. Then the C, nods his head, then the ball is snapped or snapped shortly after.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If that's the case, then why was Demarcus Ware always called for offsides for simply getting a good jump on the snap? I know...it's old but it always bothered me. Especially now, if what Johnson is saying is true.
If the ref allows the semi-early leg move then Lawrence just needs to watch Lane's leg and move when that moves. You ask a ref before doing that, of course. But Lane would probably then just vary when he does it. Chess match.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes this has been his explanation but then people on twitter have shown plays where Johnson is almost in his drop before the ball even moves. He's not the only OT that does this too as I have seen other do it. They have gotten so good at timing it that now, even when they clearly moved before the snap, the refs just let it go. Plus there appears to be a gray area where the rules say Johnson can adjust his foot back before the snap anyway although I suspect the intent of that rule wasn't to basically allow an OT, for example, to basically jump start his drop. There was an article in SI and they talked to Whitworth and Schwarz about it. Jason Peters has done it, David Baktari also used to use it from time to time.

The fact other OTs do it as well probably is a good indication that the NFL and the officials are OK with it. But yeah, it looks weird.
I think he said he learned it from Trent Williams so it's not even his move.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
He was called for a false start last week, and clearly it was a false start. I believe when he does false start the referees flag him just like any other offensive lineman. I'm not one of the conspiracy theorists that say he jumps early every snap, and the refs let him do it.
He even says that he's early sometimes so it's clear he has some sort of OK from the refs to a degree.