The Lane Johnson Controversy

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Most of the explanations for Johnson's false starts are from Eagles fans, writers, or apologists.

Here is the rule: "It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

Lane Johnson's leg kick, as they call it, is the beginning of his backpeddle. It is absolutely the simulation of the start of the play. If he does this before the center moves the ball to snap it, then it is absolutely a false start and should be flagged. There is no exception to this rule as Eagles fans claim. As we have seen many times, even the slighted move before the snap by an offensive linemen once the line is set results in a false start. It is ridiculous to argue that a center or even running back who wobbles less than an inch commits a penalty but Lane Johnson moving his back leg up into the air before the snap is not.

I would love to know why the league does not throw a flag on him when he does this.

At the same time, I wonder if his leg kick tips off the defense that a pass is coming. Does he do this every play or just on pass plays. Seems to me if a run is called his first step would be different.
You're reading into the rule. Note the rule doesn't say "ball movement," it says snap. You'd have to find out what is considered part of the snap. Just like with my long snapper example, the LS has to pump before he actually launches the ball. Is the pump part of the snap? If you move on the pump, is that offsides? I don't think it is. This is similar to the delay of game penalty. When the clock hits 0 people are expecting a call but the ref watches the clock and then checks to see if the ball "is being snapped." If it is, they let it go even though the clock already hit 0. Again, I'd love to hear a ref's take on this and what a snap entails because that delay of game detail isn't written in the rules.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
It's not a false start. It's elite timing. We've been going over this for like a decade. 2 decades if you include Jason Peters

JayFord

Reaction score
send the video to the league office and tell them since they dont call it that youre going to do it as well and if you flag us its gonna be hell toupee

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
He even says that he's early sometimes so it's clear he has some sort of OK from the refs to a degree.
I don't think he's doing something illegal every snap, and the referee is conspiring with him. I just don't believe that. I saw him jump off sides a time or 2 yesterday, and he was flagged, so he obviously jumped early sometimes.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If his leg movement causes a DL to come across the LOS based on that movement, as to simulating the start of the play. Should Johnson be called then, and not an offsides?
It can be looked at as a deceptive move?

I am not sure, so just asking what the rule book states in that situation.

Actually I got so used to it now, I don't even think to look at him on any play to see if actually a false start. But it is very noticeable even when not looking for it.

I see many teams RG do the pointing thing that Martin does. Then the C, nods his head, then the ball is snapped or snapped shortly after.
Philly fans talk about how a rear leg is allowed to be adjusted but I don't see it in the rulebook. That's why I want to hear a ref weigh in because that playclock example I just mentioned isn't in the rulebook either but is known among teams as a "neighborhood play," to use a baseball reference. Maybe this is too. Maybe the broadcasters will actually research and mention it one day.

Redline360

Reaction score
He's good but honestly those false starts is what makes him great. Not going to beat a pro bowler when he's already a half step ahead of you.

Someone broke down all the snaps of his game agaisnt the bucs(think it was this game) in slow motion.Nearly half of snaps he clearly moves before the ball is snapped. Some he's almost on his back foot already.

Not sure why this is even allowed there's so much evidence of him false starting I would think the league would do something about it.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The league will do nothing, just like they do nothing about the Chiefs' right tackle constantly lining up off the line.

Why? One protects Jalen Hurts, the other guy protects Patrick Mahomes. The NFL wants those guys upright any way possible. They know where their money comes from.

Sydla

Reaction score
Most of the explanations for Johnson's false starts are from Eagles fans, writers, or apologists.

Here is the rule: "It is a False Start if the ball has been placed ready for play, and, prior to the snap, an offensive player who has assumed a set position charges or moves in such a way as to simulate the start of a play, or if an offensive player who is in motion makes a sudden movement toward the line of scrimmage. Any quick abrupt movement by a single offensive player, or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap, is a false start."

Lane Johnson's leg kick, as they call it, is the beginning of his backpeddle. It is absolutely the simulation of the start of the play. If he does this before the center moves the ball to snap it, then it is absolutely a false start and should be flagged. There is no exception to this rule as Eagles fans claim. As we have seen many times, even the slighted move before the snap by an offensive linemen once the line is set results in a false start. It is ridiculous to argue that a center or even running back who wobbles less than an inch commits a penalty but Lane Johnson moving his back leg up into the air before the snap is not.

I would love to know why the league does not throw a flag on him when he does this.

At the same time, I wonder if his leg kick tips off the defense that a pass is coming. Does he do this every play or just on pass plays. Seems to me if a run is called his first step would be different.
Not true, as I said, SI did an article on this and talked to Andrew Whitworth and Geoff Schwarz who both basically said it's legal as the rules are written and that Johnson has gotten really good at his timing with Kelce. And if you watch, there are clearly plays where it looks like he moves first but if you slow it down, you can see Kelce move the ball. But there are also times when he clearly moved before the ball is moved but they have gotten so good at it (and other OTs do it too) that the league just lets it go.

Jarntt

Reaction score
You're reading into the rule. Note the rule doesn't say "ball movement," it says snap. You'd have to find out what is considered part of the snap. Just like with my long snapper example, the LS has to pump before he actually launches the ball. Is the pump part of the snap? If you move on the pump, is that offsides? I don't think it is. This is similar to the delay of game penalty. When the clock hits 0 people are expecting a call but the ref watches the clock and then checks to see if the ball "is being snapped." If it is, they let it go even though the clock already hit 0. Again, I'd love to hear a ref's take on this and what a snap entails because that delay of game detail isn't written in the rules.
I thought there were two separate and distinct acts here. The center can adjust the ball BEFORE snapping it, but it isn't part of the SNAP until he errr...snaps it...or I guess you can say simulates the start of the play. So I disagree with what you are saying. I'm sure the rule must clarify this but I couldn't find it via a quick google search

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
It's not a false start. It's elite timing. We've been going over this for like a decade. 2 decades if you include Jason Peters
Stop trying to gaslight us. We've all been watching football for many years and nothing like this trend has ever happened before this season on this scale.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
The league will do nothing, just like they do nothing about the Chiefs' right tackle constantly lining up off the line.

Why? One protects Jalen Hurts, the other guy protects Patrick Mahomes. The NFL wants those guys upright any way possible. They know where their money comes from.
Especially in a year where there are lile 10 starting qbs out for the year.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Not true, as I said, SI did an article on this and talked to Andrew Whitworth and Geoff Schwarz who both basically said it's legal as the rules are written and that Johnson has gotten really good at his timing with Kelce. And if you watch, there are clearly plays where it looks like he moves first but if you slow it down, you can see Kelce move the ball. But there are also times when he clearly moved before the ball is moved but they have gotten so good at it (and other OTs do it too) that the league just lets it go.

And as I noted, technically the rules state an OL can move back/reset his foot before a snap. Now, I suspect the intent of the rule wasn't to let Johnson do what he does, but there is enough gray in that rule that maybe that's how this thing gets left alone.
Similar to what I just said above, certain pre-snap movements are allowed so I'm not disagreeing with you on that, but I always thought you couldn't do anything that would simulate a snap. Clearly Johnson is simulating a snap as he isn't just resetting his foot, he is starting his pass blocking motion

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Stop trying to gaslight us. We've all been watching football for many years and nothing like this trend has ever happened before this season on this scale.
Peter's did leave early, I remeber complaining about him and Johnson always moving before the snap.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
It’s been all over Twitter this week. Lane Johnson false starting on nearly every play. Eagles fans claim it’s a loophole and the RT is allowed to adjust his right leg. But Johnson’s whole body moves before the snap quite often.

I hope all the negative attention benefits us this weekend!

Oh, btw, I reached the definite conclusion that Eagles fans are the worst cry-babies in all of NFL fandom. Definitely, the NFL’s worst fan base.
Wow I haven't really read much on this board, but when I watched that last game I kept saying that's a false start, that's a false start, that's , why aren't they calling it?

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
He's been doing it his entire career. Just like Jason Peters did when he was a Cowboy. It's been talked about so many times on here for years. There's no gaslighting. There's no penalty either or they would have shut it down with Jason Peters 15 years ago. It has been happening before this season

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
He's good but honestly those false starts is what makes him great. Not going to beat a pro bowler when he's already a half step ahead of you.

Someone broke down all the snaps of his game agaisnt the bucs(think it was this game) in slow motion.Nearly half of snaps he clearly moves before the ball is snapped. Some he's almost on his back foot already.

Not sure why this is even allowed there's so much evidence of him false starting I would think the league would do something about it.
Let's not get carried away. Johnson is a great player without this advantage. But like I said before, you give a great player like this a 1/2 step advantage into his pass-set, it's virtually impossible to beat him.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Wow I haven't really read much on this board, but when I watched that last game I kept saying that's a false start, that's a false start, that's , why aren't they calling it?
Because it isn't a false start